What isolation earphones/iems to buy?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 26, 2005 9:39:05 AM

Skip this paragraph if you don't want any backstory :)  I like to play my drums
along with music, but since I started playing on an electronic drumset I'm used
to having my drums sound great, mixed in perfectly with the cd track, with total
control over volume levels. Obviously thats a bit harder with acoustic drums.
Since I'm going to be micing my drums to record my plan was to get a pair of
isolation headphones and mix in the mic'ed drums with the cd track.. from what
I'd found the ultraphones from GK-music were the best at 29db. To see if they
were good enough I put in some cheapo earbuds and borrowed a pair of the very
same gun muffs they use.. it didn't do it for me, I still had to play the cd
track too loud to get an even mix, and there was a fair amount of bass leaking
through.. if there's a better pair of isolation headphones out there, please
let me know..

So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a pair of
isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with a pair of
those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like something $18..
I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough isolation...?
But which ones to buy? There are so many companies and models, are there
some that are universally known 'among the best in quality and value'?
I'd like a pair that allows custom earmolds, from what I've read that gives
the best isolation, fit/bass, and comfort.. since I'll be getting some
custom fit earplugs it shouldn't be too expensive to get a second mold.
I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm not going to be playing any gigs
or anything like that and they have to sound good playing back music..
I read that some are more suited for recordings vs live music and vice
versa.. I'm also not familiar with the whole impedance thing but ideally
I'd like something I could also use on my mp3 player as reg. earphones.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:39:06 AM

Matthew Blake wrote:

> So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a pair of
> isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with a pair of
> those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like something $18..
> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough isolation...?

I've used the ER4P's and the Sony EX71LP's with the
Leightning ear protectors covering everythink and can't hear
nuttin' but the 'phones even in very loud live venues. The
Leightening's are so well sealed and insulated, however,
that heat buildup inside can be annoying.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:39:06 AM

Matthew Blake wrote:
> Skip this paragraph if you don't want any backstory :)  I like to play
my drums
> along with music, but since I started playing on an electronic
drumset I'm used
> to having my drums sound great, mixed in perfectly with the cd track,
with total
> control over volume levels. Obviously thats a bit harder with
acoustic drums.
> Since I'm going to be micing my drums to record my plan was to get a
pair of
> isolation headphones and mix in the mic'ed drums with the cd track..
from what
> I'd found the ultraphones from GK-music were the best at 29db. To see
if they
> were good enough I put in some cheapo earbuds and borrowed a pair of
the very
> same gun muffs they use.. it didn't do it for me, I still had to play
the cd
> track too loud to get an even mix, and there was a fair amount of
bass leaking
> through.. if there's a better pair of isolation headphones out there,
please
> let me know..
>
> So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a
pair of
> isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with a pair
of
> those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like something
$18..
> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough
isolation...?
> But which ones to buy? There are so many companies and models, are
there
> some that are universally known 'among the best in quality and
value'?
> I'd like a pair that allows custom earmolds, from what I've read that
gives
> the best isolation, fit/bass, and comfort.. since I'll be getting
some
> custom fit earplugs it shouldn't be too expensive to get a second
mold.
> I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm not going to be playing any gigs
> or anything like that and they have to sound good playing back
music..
> I read that some are more suited for recordings vs live music and
vice
> versa.. I'm also not familiar with the whole impedance thing but
ideally
> I'd like something I could also use on my mp3 player as reg.
earphones.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Matthew,

Look at the Koss PRO/4AA:
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--17168/in...

Tom
January 26, 2005 12:26:03 PM

"Matthew Blake" <mb@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D WGJd.3221$Yg6.847704@news20.bellglobal.com

> So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a
> pair of isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with
> a pair of those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like
> something $18.. I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me
> enough isolation...? But which ones to buy? There are so many
> companies and models, are there some that are universally known
> 'among the best in quality and value'?

Long story short, based on my experiences two alternatives to look at
seriously are Futuresonics and Shure ER3s - at least if you want to keep
your costs under $200.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:30:01 PM

Matthew Blake wrote:
> were good enough I put in some cheapo earbuds and borrowed a pair of
the very
> same gun muffs they use.. it didn't do it for me, I still had to play
the cd
> track too loud to get an even mix, and there was a fair amount of
bass leaking
> through.. if there's a better pair of isolation headphones out there,
please
> let me know..

Most cheapos have little bass to begin with, and may not seat properly,
which will also reduce bass.

> So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a
pair of
> isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with a pair
of
> those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like something
$18..
> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough
isolation...?
> But which ones to buy? There are so many companies and models, are
there
> some that are universally known 'among the best in quality and
value'?
> I'd like a pair that allows custom earmolds, from what I've read that
gives
> the best isolation, fit/bass, and comfort.. since I'll be getting
some
> custom fit earplugs it shouldn't be too expensive to get a second
mold.
> I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm not going to be playing any gigs
> or anything like that and they have to sound good playing back
music..
> I read that some are more suited for recordings vs live music and
vice
> versa.. I'm also not familiar with the whole impedance thing but
ideally
> I'd like something I could also use on my mp3 player as reg.
earphones.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I've used ER6s and shure E1s, both good, with good bass when seated
properly. THe ER6s have a peak at around 3k which you may or may not
like. Almost any good-quality buds will be improved in both bass
response and isolation by custom molds.

But even a good bud set with custom molds may not be as good as a great
set of regular headphones for tracking. It just depends on the mix, the
room, and other factors.

Investigate both options, then make a choice based on what's best for
you. As far as regular headphones are concerned, drummers here have
seemed to like Fostex 'phones (T20, T40). I'm sure there are many other
good options as well.
Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:33:28 PM

Dudes,
I own sensaphonics,Westone um2's, E5's. I rate them in that order.
Sensa's are custom kind of a pain if you need to continually remove
them but the sweetest @ $700.
UM2's even full range sound great base and a buyers choice @ $350.
Shure are kinda tin'ey and short on base. My ears tend to ring after
use when equalized to taste. Not cause of DB's mostly cause the sweet
spot is a higher freq their hype tags out at around $500.
It's my two cents.
Ian M Emery
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:31:33 PM

Play quieter? Strange concept to some, but in fact anyone interested in
hearing at all in their later years(let alone the broad dynamic range of
music), should turn it down now! Consider the damage occuring to those poor
schmoes in the audience who don't know any better. I once worked with a bass
player who used earplugs. When I asked him to turn down as he was drowning
out the piano and sax, he said he wouldn't be able to hear his bass. Duh!
maybe if he removed the plugs! Obviously the whole volume issue is off the
rails(pun intended)

hearing intact

Rick Hollett
"Matthew Blake" <mb@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D WGJd.3221$Yg6.847704@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Skip this paragraph if you don't want any backstory :)  I like to play my
> drums
> along with music, but since I started playing on an electronic drumset I'm
> used
> to having my drums sound great, mixed in perfectly with the cd track, with
> total
> control over volume levels. Obviously thats a bit harder with acoustic
> drums.
> Since I'm going to be micing my drums to record my plan was to get a pair
> of
> isolation headphones and mix in the mic'ed drums with the cd track.. from
> what
> I'd found the ultraphones from GK-music were the best at 29db. To see if
> they
> were good enough I put in some cheapo earbuds and borrowed a pair of the
> very
> same gun muffs they use.. it didn't do it for me, I still had to play the
> cd
> track too loud to get an even mix, and there was a fair amount of bass
> leaking
> through.. if there's a better pair of isolation headphones out there,
> please
> let me know..
>
> So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a pair
> of
> isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with a pair of
> those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like something $18..
> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough isolation...?
> But which ones to buy? There are so many companies and models, are there
> some that are universally known 'among the best in quality and value'?
> I'd like a pair that allows custom earmolds, from what I've read that
> gives
> the best isolation, fit/bass, and comfort.. since I'll be getting some
> custom fit earplugs it shouldn't be too expensive to get a second mold.
> I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm not going to be playing any gigs
> or anything like that and they have to sound good playing back music..
> I read that some are more suited for recordings vs live music and vice
> versa.. I'm also not familiar with the whole impedance thing but ideally
> I'd like something I could also use on my mp3 player as reg. earphones.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:16:44 PM

>> So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a pair of
>> isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with a pair of
>> those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like something $18..
>> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough isolation...?
>
>I've used the ER4P's and the Sony EX71LP's with the
>Leightning ear protectors covering everythink and can't hear
>nuttin' but the 'phones even in very loud live venues. The
>Leightening's are so well sealed and insulated, however,
>that heat buildup inside can be annoying.
>

>Bob

can't find anything on leightning
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:22:36 PM

>>> So I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is probably a pair of
>>> isolation earphones (shure e3, etymotic er6, er4, etc..) with a pair of
>>> those gunmuffs worn over top.. the muffs only cost like something $18..
>>> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough isolation...?
>>
>>I've used the ER4P's and the Sony EX71LP's with the
>>Leightning ear protectors covering everythink and can't hear
>>nuttin' but the 'phones even in very loud live venues. The
>>Leightening's are so well sealed and insulated, however,
>>that heat buildup inside can be annoying.
>>

>>Bob
>
>can't find anything on leightning

heh nevermind
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:25:29 PM

>Long story short, based on my experiences two alternatives to look at
>seriously are Futuresonics and Shure ER3s - at least if you want to keep
>your costs under $200.

yeah the er4's looked nice but they're pricey, i was leaning towards the
e3's.. what did you decide and are you happy with your choice?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:25:30 PM

>> Long story short, based on my experiences two alternatives to look at
>> seriously are Futuresonics and Shure ER3s - at least if you want to
>> keep your costs under $200.

> yeah the er4's looked nice but they're pricey, i was leaning towards
> the e3's.. what did you decide and are you happy with your choice?

I have a pair of each and find them both pleasurable to listen to.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:27:28 PM

you've made an awful lot of assumptions, let me just say most are wrong.
i'm not interested in getting into it i'm just looking for suggestions
on what earphones to buy, if you can help let me know.

> [...]
>> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough isolation...?
>> But which ones to buy? There are so many companies and models, are there
>> some that are universally known 'among the best in quality and value'?
>> I'd like a pair that allows custom earmolds, from what I've read that
>> gives
>> the best isolation, fit/bass, and comfort.. since I'll be getting some
>> custom fit earplugs it shouldn't be too expensive to get a second mold.
>> I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm not going to be playing any gigs
>> or anything like that and they have to sound good playing back music..
>> I read that some are more suited for recordings vs live music and vice
>> versa.. I'm also not familiar with the whole impedance thing but ideally
>> I'd like something I could also use on my mp3 player as reg. earphones.
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

January 26, 2005 8:39:46 PM

>Dudes,
>I own sensaphonics,Westone um2's, E5's. I rate them in that order.
>Sensa's are custom kind of a pain if you need to continually remove
>them but the sweetest @ $700.
>UM2's even full range sound great base and a buyers choice @ $350.
>Shure are kinda tin'ey and short on base. My ears tend to ring after
>use when equalized to taste. Not cause of DB's mostly cause the sweet
>spot is a higher freq their hype tags out at around $500.
>It's my two cents.
>Ian M Emery

i thought sensaphonics were just the silicone custom molds, there's
an actual sensaphonic earphone? the earphones you listed are a little
out of my price range :)  i guess i should have been clearer
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:37:18 AM

I put an old pair of sennheisers in my ear defenders. Drummers love them.
Cuts the room sound by 30 db or so

Rick Hollett
> [...]
>>> I can't imagine that kind of a setup not giving me enough isolation...?
>>> But which ones to buy? There are so many companies and models, are there
>>> some that are universally known 'among the best in quality and value'?
>>> I'd like a pair that allows custom earmolds, from what I've read that
>>> gives
>>> the best isolation, fit/bass, and comfort.. since I'll be getting some
>>> custom fit earplugs it shouldn't be too expensive to get a second mold.
>>> I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm not going to be playing any gigs
>>> or anything like that and they have to sound good playing back music..
>>> I read that some are more suited for recordings vs live music and vice
>>> versa.. I'm also not familiar with the whole impedance thing but ideally
>>> I'd like something I could also use on my mp3 player as reg. earphones.
>>>
>>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

January 27, 2005 4:49:13 PM

Check out the pro line of Sony headphones, decent isolation and great
response 7506 is a good model ($100-$150) though the 7509s are better,
sturdier, loud, and fit ears a little better I think ($200). Top of the
line Sonys are the V*00 series, 6 and 700 are pretty amazing
($300-$500)

Travis
January 28, 2005 5:20:56 PM

saxofunk@gmail.com writes:

>Check out the pro line of Sony headphones, decent isolation and great
>response 7506 is a good model ($100-$150) though the 7509s are better,
>sturdier, loud, and fit ears a little better I think ($200). Top of the
>line Sonys are the V*00 series, 6 and 700 are pretty amazing
>($300-$500)
>Travis

I used to use a pair of the V600s in the studio before I got my 7506/V6's. I found the V600 to have a very hyped bass which masked
many problems when tracking. The V6's, otoh, are the consumer version
of the 7506 and allow me to hear most "problems" with ease. That said,
NONE of them are "iso" headphones. A few companies DO put 7506 drivers
into iso shells, though. They tend to be somewhat pricey, but work
pretty well.
!