How would you feel about supporting data cables for your t..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 10, 2004 2:26:10 PM

Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a dozen of
them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
connected'. As the 'computer guy' here, I obviously have to implement this.
Now I've used a data cable for quite awhile with my old N400, and now with
my 8100, and know that it can work well, but is not 100% reliable. As I
said before, I have tried to road-block this, but I'm not winning. What
concerns would you have that I should communicate to our road-warrior team
about this?
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 7:36:11 PM

In article <409f9ed6$0$182$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
"doubleu" <doubleu_@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a dozen of
> them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
> connected'. As the 'computer guy' here, I obviously have to implement this.
> Now I've used a data cable for quite awhile with my old N400, and now with
> my 8100, and know that it can work well, but is not 100% reliable. As I
> said before, I have tried to road-block this, but I'm not winning. What
> concerns would you have that I should communicate to our road-warrior team
> about this?

They should get PC Cards and proper plans for data usage, as using
phones as modems is not offically supported by Sprint PCS, and is
against their TOS, and when you least expect it, SprintPCS could crack
down on all such users.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 7:38:06 PM

"doubleu" <doubleu_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a dozen
of
> them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
> connected'. As the 'computer guy' here, I obviously have to implement
this.
> Now I've used a data cable for quite awhile with my old N400, and now with
> my 8100, and know that it can work well, but is not 100% reliable. As I
> said before, I have tried to road-block this, but I'm not winning. What
> concerns would you have that I should communicate to our road-warrior team
> about this?

Yes. Sounds like you have a business account set up. Either modify your
company plan to incorporate unlimited use for data @ $80 per user, with the
use of a pcmcia card, or keep their on line time (while tethered to the
phone) to a minimum. Ask them to download their email, disconnect, then
reply to all those emails that need to be replied to off line, and then
reconnect to send them out.

Bob
May 10, 2004 7:48:37 PM

May 10, 2004 8:11:59 PM

Bob Smith wrote:

> Yes. Sounds like you have a business account set up. Either modify your
> company plan to incorporate unlimited use for data @ $80 per user, with the
> use of a pcmcia card, or keep their on line time (while tethered to the
> phone) to a minimum. Ask them to download their email, disconnect, then
> reply to all those emails that need to be replied to off line, and then
> reconnect to send them out.
>
> Bob

Vision is billed by data throughput, not time.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 8:17:44 PM

"Mike" <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message
> Bob Smith wrote:
>
> > Yes. Sounds like you have a business account set up. Either modify your
> > company plan to incorporate unlimited use for data @ $80 per user, with
the
> > use of a pcmcia card, or keep their on line time (while tethered to the
> > phone) to a minimum. Ask them to download their email, disconnect, then
> > reply to all those emails that need to be replied to off line, and then
> > reconnect to send them out.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Vision is billed by data throughput, not time.

I know that ... What I'm emphasizing here is to keep their online time down,
not to surf, to keep the amount of kb downloaded and uploaded to a minimum.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 8:25:07 PM

In article <jRNnc.15227$Hs1.3359@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> Vision is billed by data throughput, not time.

Vision is for web browsing through the Sprint portal using your Cell
Phone.

Bob Smith is 100% correct in his recommendation which is close to my
previous one.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 11:18:21 PM

<Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a dozen of
them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
connected> Well here is my opinion. Vision for 12 people for a year would
cost you $2160. The connection card for 12 people for a year would cost you
$11,520! I wonder if you should investigate wi-fi solutions based on where
your folks travel. As for me, I use Vision/laptop when I RV to check email
and surf. I don't see the difference between 12 RVers using this setup or
12 of your employees using it. DonnaB
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 11:29:35 PM

Donna Becker wrote:

> <Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a dozen of
> them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
> connected> Well here is my opinion. Vision for 12 people for a year would
> cost you $2160. The connection card for 12 people for a year would cost you
> $11,520! I wonder if you should investigate wi-fi solutions based on where
> your folks travel. As for me, I use Vision/laptop when I RV to check email
> and surf. I don't see the difference between 12 RVers using this setup or
> 12 of your employees using it. DonnaB

Did I miss something? $960 per card???

Larry
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 11:41:03 PM

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Donna Becker wrote:
> >
> > <Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a
dozen of
> > them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
> > connected> Well here is my opinion. Vision for 12 people for a year
would
> > cost you $2160. The connection card for 12 people for a year would cost
you
> > $11,520! I wonder if you should investigate wi-fi solutions based on
where
> > your folks travel. As for me, I use Vision/laptop when I RV to check
email
> > and surf. I don't see the difference between 12 RVers using this setup
or
> > 12 of your employees using it. DonnaB
>
> Did I miss something? $960 per card???
>
> Larry

Annual expense. $80 Vision per month. It would be a lot cheaper going with
my suggestion ... as long as they don't surf on the web ... :)

Bob
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 11:41:12 PM

In article <409FD81F.3986CF22@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Donna Becker wrote:
> >
> > <Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a dozen of
> > them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
> > connected> Well here is my opinion. Vision for 12 people for a year would
> > cost you $2160. The connection card for 12 people for a year would cost you
> > $11,520! I wonder if you should investigate wi-fi solutions based on where
> > your folks travel. As for me, I use Vision/laptop when I RV to check email
> > and surf. I don't see the difference between 12 RVers using this setup or
> > 12 of your employees using it. DonnaB
>
> Did I miss something? $960 per card???

$80/month for unlimited data use.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 12:19:35 AM

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 1:13:00 AM

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Annual expense. $80 Vision per month. It would be a lot cheaper going
with
> > my suggestion ... as long as they don't surf on the web ... :)
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Sure, but as a business plan, that is a horrible decision. That coming
> from a small business owner.

Maybe, maybe not ... It's very expensive going with the cards and unlimited
Vision for $80/mo/employee. It's been mentioned here that SPCS would provide
a warning to the customer if they saw high usage, and that was for personal
use. If SPCS noticed continued high usage, they would cancel the Vision
option on the account.

In terms of a business account, if a warning was issued, I'm wondering
whether it would be on the whole account or just the individual with the
high usage.

Either way, it's not my problem ... :) .

Bob
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:04:59 AM

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 11:24:34 AM

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:26:10 -0500, doubleu wrote:

> Against my will, there is a push for our travelling folks (about a dozen of
> them) to get vision phones and data cables so they can 'always be
> connected'. As the 'computer guy' here, I obviously have to implement this.
> Now I've used a data cable for quite awhile with my old N400, and now with
> my 8100, and know that it can work well, but is not 100% reliable. As I
> said before, I have tried to road-block this, but I'm not winning. What
> concerns would you have that I should communicate to our road-warrior team
> about this?

(following applies to small business/consumer based services)
Apparently everyone responding to this group thinks your users need to use
this service from morning to night. Sprint also offers limited MB quota
packages for data card usage. Since this is just for traveling users
depending on how many you have and how often they travel you might want to
consider a smaller approach then unlimited data for every user. A better
solution might be to buy a small subset of data connection cards seperate
from your users voice accounts. Then when users do travel hand them out
with strict policy instructions. Depending on your business and traveling
plans of your users you might find that you only have handful of the dozen
out at the same time at any given time. I'm sure you could work out a
sharing solution like I have suggested to fit your needs without having to
pay 80dollars a pop per a user wither they use them or not.

Of course with the quota packages you run into the issue of users over
using their limit and leaving an expensive bill. Somethings that might
work depending on their os is setup a vpn link that utilizes sprintpcs
card and instruct them to use the vpn link for login. In 2k/xp vpn
connections can be setup to first connect another connection(the datacard)
and then do the vpn and when finished disconnect that connection. This
should allow you to put users behind firewall/proxy/nids/etc... as well as
measure their data usage (will be off due to overhead from difference
between vpn payload and vpn link traffic) to give you an idea of which
accounts are approaching their limits. Users can manually connect via the
card without using your vpn but issues from that should be treated as a
violation of company policy and handled accordingly. Of course if they are
company machines you could just setup proper group policies along with
other restrictions deemed important.

Anyway this is just some ramblings from me at 6 in the morning but
everything is workable and it all depends on what you want to do.

As far as larger business accounts go sprintpcs does offer what I believe
they call "Secure link" or something like that which provides what I have
said(vpn and or controlled connection) while leaving systems maintenance
up to sprintpcs which can provide admin access via radius if apart of
selected plan. Of course it all depends on cost and lets face it if you
have enough money I'm sure sprintpcs will be more then happy to find ways
to leech it from you in services.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 6:45:47 AM

Plus many business users send and receive lots of large files via email on a
regular basis. I only use my Vision card when no other fast connection is
available (ethernet or 802.11).

Haven't seen a business user hook up a cell phone to a notebook in a long
time....it would look very unprofessional these days.

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 3:19:11 PM

Perhaps some of the users could go with the $40 per month plan.
$40 * 12mo. * 12users = $5760

Bob Smith wrote:
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Annual expense. $80 Vision per month. It would be a lot cheaper going
>
> with
>
>>>my suggestion ... as long as they don't surf on the web ... :)
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>

>>Sure, but as a business plan, that is a horrible decision. That coming
>>from a small business owner.
>

> Maybe, maybe not ... It's very expensive going with the cards and unlimited
> Vision for $80/mo/employee. It's been mentioned here that SPCS would provide
> a warning to the customer if they saw high usage, and that was for personal
> use. If SPCS noticed continued high usage, they would cancel the Vision
> option on the account.
>
> In terms of a business account, if a warning was issued, I'm wondering
> whether it would be on the whole account or just the individual with the
> high usage.
>
> Either way, it's not my problem ... :) .
>
> Bob

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 9:21:15 PM

I agree. They would be better off using WiFi at the local Starbucks.

--

John Richards

!