Is generic memory bad...?

nightfall

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Well currently i have a stick of 256mb DDR2100 generic ram in computer.I was hoping to get another stick otherwise i would not be able to use Dual-DDR function in my 8RDA+, my question is, would it be better for me to:
1.Buy another stick of the same model and speeded generic ram or
2.Sell that stick of ram and buy two better branded memory modules?

ps:i am running a Athlon XP 2000+ CPU.

If you're going to overclock, then the higher quality, or performance RAM is a must, if you have no overclocking intentions, the cheaper RAM will work just fine, but try to stay below 3 with Cas Latency, say 2.5 if you can, and try to match what you already have.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
even the best names sometimes have problems with stability in dual channel, that's why companies are releasing ram specifically tested for it
you will most likely not be stable, it's probably worth getting ram that's been tested for it

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

nightfall

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
okay.
But just out of curiousity...would it make any difference if i got 2 DDR333 modules for an XP2000 compare to DDR266?

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
visit your mobo manufacturer website, it should state that which ram have been tested for dual channel ddr.

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...