Shutdown and Startup Taking too long, tells it it restarted from crash

shnookplyr

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I installed windows 8 with no problem but in an uncommon event, the shutdown takes too long. the screen is black but the power is still on. it takes about 5 minutes before it really shuts off. then at boot up, the splash screen start up takes about half as long. then after the start screen is shown, a notification pops up saying that the PC ran into a problem and restarted (it doesn't restart as as far as i see since i shut it down). when i read it with windg, it said the probable cause was the usbhub.sys. there was once i got a blue screen (the problem: power_state_driver_failure). i did 2 refresh with with installation disc and ran "dskchk /r /f" and "sfc /scannow" and nothing in bad sector nor integrety violation. here is a link for the minidump as of 2/27. thank you
[Link Unavailable]

rupertng

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I had this same problem due to a system driver. I followed the instructions on getting Windows Debugger set up on Windows 8 from the following link: How to solve Windows 8 crashes in less than a minute

I was able to identify the driver and uninstall it. Now reboots and shutdowns are working as expected, plus no message about a problem at startup. The next step is to then identify a driver and/or configuration change that won't cause the issue...

shnookplyr

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

i tried it (some were unused driver from the uninstalled) and well it have solved half of it and now i got more:
Shutdown does want to shut down (30 minutes and still "on")
after boot it takes a bit longer to start up to the log on screen
no crash dump at all: as if it never crashed
a nvidia crashes and restore successfull, if not then i get a black screen and sound buzz from the last sound bit played
windows update gets a error 80070490 (claims to be fixed but when checking, its there again)
sfc detects a corruption and microsoft suggest to do "upgrade and update online trick"**

**i would do the trick but the problem is i used a promotional key thing that microsoft did to gain media player and i worry (since they said its a one time use) if i try the trick, it'll "erase" the key and the original key and when trying to activate the 1 timer, it'll be blacklisted. (the windows 8 was win7 but was already activated when i got it so i got no key for it, still have the key for the promo). if the "upgrade" would still keep the key, i would do it but i would like a guarantee, i don't want to waste money on an attempt to repair corruption then find out that i lost activation. But if anyone can find a way to remedy the problem (i understand nvidia issue is possibly the driver so ill downgrade it to a functional one). it would be lovely.

Thank You
[sorry for the long responce i forgot my password and had a hassle with the change password telling me it's invalid but its fine now]

[Update: whats weird also is that iTunes wasn't working and when I when to task manager and on the performance tab, the c: was missing. Not only that, I couldn't even log out of my account, it would just hang. after a cold reboot, the c: was back and iTunes was working again]

[Update: http://sdrv.ms/1beeAqu
Here is a screen shot of what im talking how the disks in the task manager is missing]

shnookplyr

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
well the last thing i did was to change my sata mode to ide mode again. ive had it set to ahci since windows 7 but i guess now it has to go back. and thank you for your replies to fixing the original issue