Replacing Power Supply

ronsou

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
My old Dell Dimension XPS D266 (PII-266) seems to have a dead power supply. I'd like to replace it, and found the service manual on the Dell website, and it seems easy enough. The one question I have is if I can buy most any power supply for it , of greater than or equal the current 200W one. For example, I see an Allied 250W power supply that can be found for about $15 new. Its for an ATX chasis, which I assume is what the Dell Dimension XPS D266 is, though I can't even find where I'd double check that for sure. I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.
The computer isn't worth much, but I'd like to at least get it booting again so I can get my stuff off it. Thanks.

UsHeR_564

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
A year or two back I had a customers D266 that had an issue with a VooDoo5 video card. I tried a standard ATX 300w PS in it and it wouldn't work, although the connections were the same. In short, from past experience, I think not and I'll will bet you that a new one from Dell is an arm and a leg! Pay me now, or pay me later....:)
Another thought is that if you buy a 350w PS and it doesn't work then it's a start toward a new system...;-) You can connect that hard drive to another computer as a slave to get your "stuff" off of it.

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!" www.ftrdesign.com/nocasetoo

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
i had a power supply go bad w/a dell at the office about a year ago and we had to go to dell to get it replaced. i talked to the guy that came to replace it (it was still under warranty) and he told me that all dell ps were custom made for them and that a retail one would not work at all.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
DO NOT replace that dell PSU with a normal "rest of the world uses it" ATX PSU!

DELL modify their psu's so they are wired differently, and thus using a dell mobo with a normal PSU will lead to component death.. so your only choice is to by an expensive dell replacement.

One of the reasons why noone here likes dell's.

So your choices are:
A. get a replacment Dell SPU
B. Replace both the PSU and the motherboard at the same time with normal ATX variants
C. get a new computer all together.

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

ronsou

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad I checked here first. yes, Dell wanted my first born for a replacement power supply, but I was able to find a used one on Ebay for $20 including shipping, so we'll see how it goes. Obviously this computer isn't enough to put any major $ into, but it actually does just fine for Web browsing and email. Its been stable and so for $20, I'll see if I can revive it and keep it alive for another year or so.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at your motherboard at the ATX power connection. Notice the extra solder points above the connector that aren't used?

Intel made two versions of your board, the Dell version and the "everyone else" version. On the "everyone else" version those solder points would be used, moving your entire connector up something like 6 pins. Once you SEE what I'm talking about, it becomes rather obvious that Dell used a proprietary power supply.

I used to sell used dells. I once got in an argument with a guy over one, he tagged it at a sale, I wanted it, so I ask him what he wanted it for. He said he needed an ATX power supply for his home built computer. I tried to explain that it wasn't ATX. He said I was lying as he could CLEARLY SEE it was ATX. I told him I needed the computer to make money. The whole system. He told me to eat [-peep-], he'd take it home, pull the power supply for his new system, and throw the rest away to spite me. Hehe, 99% sure he fried his shiny new board, and I'm happy.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>