Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sprint's newer phones

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 6:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Does anyone else feel that most of Sprint's new phones don't quite cut
it for one reason or another? They've done a great job releasing a
good variety of new phones in a timely manner with many good features
but there's various issues with many of them. The 8200 has a poor
sounding earpiece and the keypad is not that good. The other Sanyos
(ie 7300, 4500) also seem to suffer from the earpiece problem and
redialing bug. The Toshiba 4050 is lacking in earpiece volume even
when set to the highest setting and the external screen is below
average. The Samsung A680 is not much different than the A500 from 2
years ago except for the camera and slighty better screen. The Nokia
3588 and 6225 seem to have a cheap build quality with too much of a
plasticky feel. The Vi600 is a nice looking lower end candy bar phone
but others have claimed poor reception and searching for service
problems. I'm looking to ditch my 1.5 year old A500 soon but so far
I'm not very impressed with any current phone.

More about : sprint newer phones

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:15:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <9c02589b.0405101342.7dc763ae@posting.google.com>,
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> Does anyone else feel that most of Sprint's new phones don't quite cut
> it for one reason or another? They've done a great job releasing a
> good variety of new phones in a timely manner with many good features
> but there's various issues with many of them. The 8200 has a poor
> sounding earpiece and the keypad is not that good. The other Sanyos
> (ie 7300, 4500) also seem to suffer from the earpiece problem and
> redialing bug. The Toshiba 4050 is lacking in earpiece volume even
> when set to the highest setting and the external screen is below
> average. The Samsung A680 is not much different than the A500 from 2
> years ago except for the camera and slighty better screen. The Nokia
> 3588 and 6225 seem to have a cheap build quality with too much of a
> plasticky feel. The Vi600 is a nice looking lower end candy bar phone
> but others have claimed poor reception and searching for service
> problems. I'm looking to ditch my 1.5 year old A500 soon but so far
> I'm not very impressed with any current phone.

Is there a particular phone from another carrier that you like?
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:15:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Robert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-9FB6E5.17151010052004@news1.west.earthlink.net>...
>
> Is there a particular phone from another carrier that you like?

Let us not limit our world view to only other CDMA carriers in the
U.S.

The old complaint that Europeans have much better wireless phones than
Americans is simply a myth predicated on the boring ubiquity of the
mandated GSM roaming & on SMS text messaging. Nope, it is the
Japanese & the South Koreans whom we should envy.

http://www.au.kddi.com/seihin/kinobetsu/index.html
"http://www.sec.co.kr/PCS.svl?CMD=DispListPage_003&dispN..."
"http://www.sec.co.kr/PCS.svl?CMD=DispListPage_003&dispN..."
http://june.nate.com/

All of the displayed handsets are cdma2000 1xEV-DO or 1xRTT - the very
same air-interface technology as Sprint PCS. None though are directly
compatible w/ SPCS. KDDI's primary spectrum is the J-TACS 800 band.
And while the Korean Cellular 800 band does mirror the North American
Cellular 800 band, the Korean PCS band is 1700 MHz. But these handset
designs could easily be reconfigured for either or both North American
frequencies - if only SPCS truly wanted them to be - if only SPCS
wished to make available to its subs not just the most advanced
wireless handset technology in the U.S but also in the entire world.

To quote myself from a private e-mail from just this past weekend:

"Since presumably all of the KDDI au handsets utilize Qualcomm zero
intermediate-frequency CDMA1x chipsets, such that conversion from the
J-TACS 800 band to the North American Cellular 800 &/or PCS 1900
band(s) should not be an overwhelming issue, why do you suppose that
North American CDMA carriers are lagging so far behind Japanese &
South Korean carriers in handset technology?

Is the bottleneck w/ the manufacturers or w/ the carriers?

I would peg my guess w/ the latter. Particularly as the South Korean
Cellular 800 band mimics that of North America, Korean handsets should
be an easy redesign for VZW. Just add on PCS 1900 or swap Korean PCS
1700 for PCS 1900. And yet VZW is far worse than Sprint PCS - who is
arguably the most technologically-forward major carrier on the
continent - in offering new handsets that push the technical envelope.

Why do you think our CDMA carriers are less than proactive in getting
Samsung, Sanyo, Kyocera, et al. to adapt state-of-the-art Asian
handsets for the North American market?"

Andrew
--
Andrew Shepherd
cinema@ku.edu
cinema@sprintpcs.com
http://www.wirelesswavelength.com/
Related resources
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:36:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Robert M wrote:
>
> In article <9c02589b.0405101342.7dc763ae@posting.google.com>,
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
>
> > Does anyone else feel that most of Sprint's new phones don't quite cut
> > it for one reason or another? They've done a great job releasing a
> > good variety of new phones in a timely manner with many good features
> > but there's various issues with many of them. The 8200 has a poor
> > sounding earpiece and the keypad is not that good. The other Sanyos
> > (ie 7300, 4500) also seem to suffer from the earpiece problem and
> > redialing bug. The Toshiba 4050 is lacking in earpiece volume even
> > when set to the highest setting and the external screen is below
> > average. The Samsung A680 is not much different than the A500 from 2
> > years ago except for the camera and slighty better screen. The Nokia
> > 3588 and 6225 seem to have a cheap build quality with too much of a
> > plasticky feel. The Vi600 is a nice looking lower end candy bar phone
> > but others have claimed poor reception and searching for service
> > problems. I'm looking to ditch my 1.5 year old A500 soon but so far
> > I'm not very impressed with any current phone.
>
> Is there a particular phone from another carrier that you like?

Actually, it's kinda funny... Read the SprintPCS groups, and you see
lots of complaints about phone selection. Read the Verizon groups,
and you see lots of complaints about the phone selection. Etc, etc.

Larry
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:43:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <40A003FA.8A322F03@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Actually, it's kinda funny... Read the SprintPCS groups, and you see
> lots of complaints about phone selection. Read the Verizon groups,
> and you see lots of complaints about the phone selection. Etc, etc.
>
> Larry

I agree 100%, and that was the reason for my question.

Read the Cingular and ATTWS groups and you see reviews all over the map
(positive and negative) about the new Motorola v600.
May 11, 2004 2:50:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Larry Thomas wrote:

> Does anyone else feel that most of Sprint's new phones don't quite cut
> it for one reason or another? They've done a great job releasing a
> good variety of new phones in a timely manner with many good features
> but there's various issues with many of them. The 8200 has a poor
> sounding earpiece and the keypad is not that good. The other Sanyos
> (ie 7300, 4500) also seem to suffer from the earpiece problem and
> redialing bug. The Toshiba 4050 is lacking in earpiece volume even
> when set to the highest setting and the external screen is below
> average. The Samsung A680 is not much different than the A500 from 2
> years ago except for the camera and slighty better screen. The Nokia
> 3588 and 6225 seem to have a cheap build quality with too much of a
> plasticky feel. The Vi600 is a nice looking lower end candy bar phone
> but others have claimed poor reception and searching for service
> problems. I'm looking to ditch my 1.5 year old A500 soon but so far
> I'm not very impressed with any current phone.

I tell you what - I'm using the 8200 right now, and it supports nearly
everything I want in a handset, in a way that my A500 didn't. On Sprint,
there's no sneaking other handsets by, so look at what is out there, buy
one from a brick and mortar retailer with a liberal return policy and
give it a week.
There is talk of a megapixel phone out in the next month or so as a
follow up to the 4050.
In handling the Nokia PM-6225, I actually felt it was the build quality
that kept me on the phone. If you want a voice phone and you don't use
data features often, it's a strong handset. If you've not handled one
without the stupid security stuff stuck to it, you owe it to yourself to
try the phone. The design creates a very "precious" feel to it. Battery
life and browser performance kept me off the phone, but as I said, nice
for heavy voice/light data use.
The VI600 also has a very nice feel, if a little light. As soon as you
look at the display, the phone starts to feel cheap. I didn't like it.
If the VI600 looks only decent to you, wait for the Sanyo 4925. Rumors
are it will be out "real soon now." Look for a nicer screen and Sanyo's
RF performance in a smaller package than the 4900.

I second another poster's question. What have you seen out there that
you do like?
-mike
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:50:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message news:<mHTnc.15150$V97.14577@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Larry Thomas wrote:
>
> > Does anyone else feel that most of Sprint's new phones don't quite cut
> > it for one reason or another? They've done a great job releasing a
> > good variety of new phones in a timely manner with many good features
> > but there's various issues with many of them. The 8200 has a poor
> > sounding earpiece and the keypad is not that good. The other Sanyos
> > (ie 7300, 4500) also seem to suffer from the earpiece problem and
> > redialing bug. The Toshiba 4050 is lacking in earpiece volume even
> > when set to the highest setting and the external screen is below
> > average. The Samsung A680 is not much different than the A500 from 2
> > years ago except for the camera and slighty better screen. The Nokia
> > 3588 and 6225 seem to have a cheap build quality with too much of a
> > plasticky feel. The Vi600 is a nice looking lower end candy bar phone
> > but others have claimed poor reception and searching for service
> > problems. I'm looking to ditch my 1.5 year old A500 soon but so far
> > I'm not very impressed with any current phone.
>
> I tell you what - I'm using the 8200 right now, and it supports nearly
> everything I want in a handset, in a way that my A500 didn't. On Sprint,
> there's no sneaking other handsets by, so look at what is out there, buy
> one from a brick and mortar retailer with a liberal return policy and
> give it a week.
> There is talk of a megapixel phone out in the next month or so as a
> follow up to the 4050.
> In handling the Nokia PM-6225, I actually felt it was the build quality
> that kept me on the phone. If you want a voice phone and you don't use
> data features often, it's a strong handset. If you've not handled one
> without the stupid security stuff stuck to it, you owe it to yourself to
> try the phone. The design creates a very "precious" feel to it. Battery
> life and browser performance kept me off the phone, but as I said, nice
> for heavy voice/light data use.
> The VI600 also has a very nice feel, if a little light. As soon as you
> look at the display, the phone starts to feel cheap. I didn't like it.
> If the VI600 looks only decent to you, wait for the Sanyo 4925. Rumors
> are it will be out "real soon now." Look for a nicer screen and Sanyo's
> RF performance in a smaller package than the 4900.
>
> I second another poster's question. What have you seen out there that
> you do like?
> -mike


I haven't really seen anything I just have to have. I don't want to
give the wrong impression here (I do like Sprint's phone selection)
it's just that they all seem to have some issues these days. The A680
is the only one I would consider right now because of the good
earpiece. For me a bad sounding earpiece is a dealbreaker no matter
what the phone looks and feels like. I noticed Sanyo has brought out
a new hardware version for their 4500 model because of the famous
'redialing' issue with the original batches. That's not a good sign.
In order to make their earpiece sound quality better it would likely
require new hardware for other models as well and I doubt that will
happen. But I do look forward to the upcoming Sanyo 4920. Hopefully it
has a better sounding earpiece than the 8200 and 7300 have. There's
also a new Motorola V60V color screen coming out for Sprint (only
available thru telesales I hear). The upcoming Audiovox CDM-8920 is
another possibility.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 3:06:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <mHTnc.15150$V97.14577@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> There is talk of a megapixel phone out in the next month or so as a
> follow up to the 4050.

http://www.phonescoop.com is reporting on the coming (next month)
SprintPCS phone - an Audiovox CDM-8920


http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=481
May 11, 2004 8:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Larry Thomas wrote:
> Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message news:<mHTnc.15150$V97.14577@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> I haven't really seen anything I just have to have. I don't want to
> give the wrong impression here (I do like Sprint's phone selection)
> it's just that they all seem to have some issues these days. The A680
> is the only one I would consider right now because of the good
> earpiece. For me a bad sounding earpiece is a dealbreaker no matter
> what the phone looks and feels like. I noticed Sanyo has brought out
> a new hardware version for their 4500 model because of the famous
> 'redialing' issue with the original batches. That's not a good sign.
> In order to make their earpiece sound quality better it would likely
> require new hardware for other models as well and I doubt that will
> happen. But I do look forward to the upcoming Sanyo 4920. Hopefully it
> has a better sounding earpiece than the 8200 and 7300 have. There's
> also a new Motorola V60V color screen coming out for Sprint (only
> available thru telesales I hear). The upcoming Audiovox CDM-8920 is
> another possibility.

What I've heard on the V60v is that telesales doesn't have it yet,
though the 10th was supposed to be the launch date - or, rather, the
"10th or later in the month of May." I've also heard that it's not a
Vision handset, but I think that sounds odd.

For me the 8200 is nice, but I figure I'll be bored in time for the
I-550 meagpixel PDA... :) 
-mike
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:29:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <9c02589b.0405101821.6511bdae@posting.google.com>,
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> I haven't really seen anything I just have to have. I don't want to
> give the wrong impression here (I do like Sprint's phone selection)
> it's just that they all seem to have some issues these days. The A680
> is the only one I would consider right now because of the good
> earpiece. For me a bad sounding earpiece is a dealbreaker no matter
> what the phone looks and feels like. I noticed Sanyo has brought out
> a new hardware version for their 4500 model because of the famous
> 'redialing' issue with the original batches.

I can only Google to find one poster complaining about the "redialling",
and it just sounds to me like what happens in a fringe area. Maybe its a
side effect of the "generous" signal meter. Only happened to me once at
the edge of a deadzone while raining (with an RL2500).


> That's not a good sign.
> In order to make their earpiece sound quality better it would likely
> require new hardware for other models as well and I doubt that will
> happen. But I do look forward to the upcoming Sanyo 4920. Hopefully it
> has a better sounding earpiece than the 8200 and 7300 have.

With the Sanyo 4920 having a smaller form factor, I'm not sure how
they'd shoehorn in a better earpiece.


> There's
> also a new Motorola V60V color screen coming out for Sprint (only
> available thru telesales I hear). The upcoming Audiovox CDM-8920 is
> another possibility.

The 8920 looks like a low end flip-phone to be offered free to new
customers, so I wouldn't expect high-end quality ear piece.

I have the Sanyo RL2500, and find the earpiece acceptable with my usage.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:33:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <33e89561.0405101833.74992daf@posting.google.com>,
cinema@ku.edu (Andrew Shepherd) wrote:

> Why do you think our CDMA carriers are less than proactive in getting
> Samsung, Sanyo, Kyocera, et al. to adapt state-of-the-art Asian
> handsets for the North American market?"

I presume American consumers are more assertive, and cellular carriers
correctly conclude phones must be more fully tested before being
released here, resulting in delays.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:27:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Robert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-326F83.05295211052004@news4.west.earthlink.net>...
> In article <9c02589b.0405101821.6511bdae@posting.google.com>,
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
>
> > I haven't really seen anything I just have to have. I don't want to
> > give the wrong impression here (I do like Sprint's phone selection)
> > it's just that they all seem to have some issues these days. The A680
> > is the only one I would consider right now because of the good
> > earpiece. For me a bad sounding earpiece is a dealbreaker no matter
> > what the phone looks and feels like. I noticed Sanyo has brought out
> > a new hardware version for their 4500 model because of the famous
> > 'redialing' issue with the original batches.
>
> I can only Google to find one poster complaining about the "redialling",
> and it just sounds to me like what happens in a fringe area. Maybe its a
> side effect of the "generous" signal meter. Only happened to me once at
> the edge of a deadzone while raining (with an RL2500).

If you do a search on sprintusers.com you will see many complaints
about the redialing bug. Obviously Sanyo knew there was a problem and
released a new batch with different hardware. But the consensus at
sprintusers.com is that only certain 4500's had this problem while
others seemed to be fine.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:10:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <9c02589b.0405111127.6d37e0cf@posting.google.com>,
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> If you do a search on sprintusers.com you will see many complaints
> about the redialing bug. Obviously Sanyo knew there was a problem and
> released a new batch with different hardware. But the consensus at
> sprintusers.com is that only certain 4500's had this problem while
> others seemed to be fine.

Thanks for the info. Their survey showed ~20% of VM4500 owners got their
phone replaced cause of "redialing bug". Guess I should be glad I have
the RL2500.
May 14, 2004 7:24:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

V60V is shipping now. Telesales got an email this AM. check the stores in a week




Robert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-326F83.05295211052004@news4.west.earthlink.net>...
> In article <9c02589b.0405101821.6511bdae@posting.google.com>,
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
>
> > I haven't really seen anything I just have to have. I don't want to
> > give the wrong impression here (I do like Sprint's phone selection)
> > it's just that they all seem to have some issues these days. The A680
> > is the only one I would consider right now because of the good
> > earpiece. For me a bad sounding earpiece is a dealbreaker no matter
> > what the phone looks and feels like. I noticed Sanyo has brought out
> > a new hardware version for their 4500 model because of the famous
> > 'redialing' issue with the original batches.
>
> I can only Google to find one poster complaining about the "redialling",
> and it just sounds to me like what happens in a fringe area. Maybe its a
> side effect of the "generous" signal meter. Only happened to me once at
> the edge of a deadzone while raining (with an RL2500).
>
>
> > That's not a good sign.
> > In order to make their earpiece sound quality better it would likely
> > require new hardware for other models as well and I doubt that will
> > happen. But I do look forward to the upcoming Sanyo 4920. Hopefully it
> > has a better sounding earpiece than the 8200 and 7300 have.
>
> With the Sanyo 4920 having a smaller form factor, I'm not sure how
> they'd shoehorn in a better earpiece.
>
>
> > There's
> > also a new Motorola V60V color screen coming out for Sprint (only
> > available thru telesales I hear). The upcoming Audiovox CDM-8920 is
> > another possibility.
>
> The 8920 looks like a low end flip-phone to be offered free to new
> customers, so I wouldn't expect high-end quality ear piece.
>
> I have the Sanyo RL2500, and find the earpiece acceptable with my usage.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 2:51:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <e0a6369d.0405141424.4585cd65@posting.google.com>,
ronf957@hotmail.com (Ron) wrote:

> V60V is shipping now. Telesales got an email this AM. check the stores in a
> week
>
>
Info is here:

http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/products/V...


It looks and seems featured like like 2 year + old GSM v60 models.

In the GSM world, what's in is the Motorola v600

with Blue Tooth, VGA Camera, etc, etc.

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...
3241&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 2:53:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Ron" <ronf957@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e0a6369d.0405141424.4585cd65@posting.google.com...
> V60V is shipping now. Telesales got an email this AM. check the stores
in a week

Earlier today, you said they would be in the stores today. So, which is it?

Bob
May 15, 2004 3:16:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Sprint Telesales told me the store would have them. I called the
stores when they opened and they are no in yet. I guess it takes a
little time for them to make it through the Sprint PCS maze.

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<S5cpc.744$SZ4.667@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Ron" <ronf957@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e0a6369d.0405141424.4585cd65@posting.google.com...
> > V60V is shipping now. Telesales got an email this AM. check the stores
> in a week
>
> Earlier today, you said they would be in the stores today. So, which is it?
>
> Bob
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:16:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <e0a6369d.0405142216.1e200eca@posting.google.com>,
ronf957@hotmail.com (Ron) wrote:

> Sprint Telesales told me the store would have them. I called the
> stores when they opened and they are no in yet. I guess it takes a
> little time for them to make it through the Sprint PCS maze.

Thats to be expected. What's not expected or acceptable is for Telesales
to be giving incorrect information. You were smart to let your fingers
do the walking. Why is it so much anybody tells you from SprintPCS needs
to be verified, because we know it can't be trusted?
!