Carvin Mixer Quality

Last response: in Home Audio
January 26, 2005 11:11:33 PM

Hello, I have been thinking of replacing the FOH mixer at the concert hall
that I work at. I have been researching and I came across the Carvin SL40
mixer. I read a little and it's got the right features, but I was just
wondering about the overall quality of Carvin and their products. Has
anyone used this mixer or another Carvin mixer. Are they durable, do they
have good mic preamps, do they have good quality pots and sliders?? Feel
free to give me your comments or suggest other mixers that would do the job.
I am looking for a mixer that has at least 40 channels, preferably a Center
Mix slider in addition to L & R sliders, 8 aux outs, 8 subgroups, direct
outs, a quasiparametric EQ (I am replacing a Mackie SR40-8 and I believe
that had a quasiparametric). I have a budget limit of $6,000.
-Luther in ND

More about : carvin mixer quality

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:52:27 AM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:11:33 -0600, Luther Bell wrote:

> Hello, I have been thinking of replacing the FOH mixer at the concert hall
> that I work at. I have been researching and I came across the Carvin SL40
> mixer. I read a little and it's got the right features, but I was just
> wondering about the overall quality of Carvin and their products. Has
> anyone used this mixer or another Carvin mixer. Are they durable, do they
> have good mic preamps, do they have good quality pots and sliders?? Feel
> free to give me your comments or suggest other mixers that would do the job.
> I am looking for a mixer that has at least 40 channels, preferably a Center
> Mix slider in addition to L & R sliders, 8 aux outs, 8 subgroups, direct
> outs, a quasiparametric EQ (I am replacing a Mackie SR40-8 and I believe
> that had a quasiparametric). I have a budget limit of $6,000.
> -Luther in ND

HI Luther!
We just did a similar thing here and we went with a Behringer, Art and
Samson system provided to us by the Pros at Sam Ash NYC. We almost went
with an Alesis RA-100 but the Samson sounded so much clearer for the same
money.This system kicks and it sounds so much sweeter than the old
Mackie/Carvin Bryston/Crown set up we were using and the best part is Sam
Ash took the Bryston and Crown stuff on trade and gave us a great price.
Any pro will tell you that Art stuff rocks and Samson is tops for
amplification.
I can honestly say that our sound has never sounded like this before. For
once we can really hear ourselves.
Email me for details
Gina
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:52:28 AM

>>>Any pro will tell you that Art stuff rocks...

Hey, that's a good one...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Gina Goiter" <goiter@insucn510892et.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:11:33 -0600, Luther Bell wrote:
>
>> Hello, I have been thinking of replacing the FOH mixer at the concert
>> hall
>> that I work at. I have been researching and I came across the Carvin
>> SL40
>> mixer. I read a little and it's got the right features, but I was just
>> wondering about the overall quality of Carvin and their products. Has
>> anyone used this mixer or another Carvin mixer. Are they durable, do
>> they
>> have good mic preamps, do they have good quality pots and sliders?? Feel
>> free to give me your comments or suggest other mixers that would do the
>> job.
>> I am looking for a mixer that has at least 40 channels, preferably a
>> Center
>> Mix slider in addition to L & R sliders, 8 aux outs, 8 subgroups, direct
>> outs, a quasiparametric EQ (I am replacing a Mackie SR40-8 and I believe
>> that had a quasiparametric). I have a budget limit of $6,000.
>> -Luther in ND
>
> HI Luther!
> We just did a similar thing here and we went with a Behringer, Art and
> Samson system provided to us by the Pros at Sam Ash NYC. We almost went
> with an Alesis RA-100 but the Samson sounded so much clearer for the same
> money.This system kicks and it sounds so much sweeter than the old
> Mackie/Carvin Bryston/Crown set up we were using and the best part is Sam
> Ash took the Bryston and Crown stuff on trade and gave us a great price.
> Any pro will tell you that Art stuff rocks and Samson is tops for
> amplification.
> I can honestly say that our sound has never sounded like this before. For
> once we can really hear ourselves.
> Email me for details
> Gina

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:52:29 AM

"Luther Bell" <freakoftheweek0000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have been thinking of replacing the FOH mixer at the concert hall
> that I work at. I have been researching and I came across the Carvin SL40
> mixer. I read a little and it's got the right features, but I was just
> wondering about the overall quality of Carvin and their products. Has
> anyone used this mixer or another Carvin mixer. Are they durable, do they
> have good mic preamps, do they have good quality pots and sliders?? Feel
> free to give me your comments or suggest other mixers that would do the
> job. I am looking for a mixer that has at least 40 channels, preferably a
> Center Mix slider in addition to L & R sliders, 8 aux outs, 8 subgroups,
> direct outs, a quasiparametric EQ (I am replacing a Mackie SR40-8 and I
> believe that had a quasiparametric). I have a budget limit of $6,000.
> -Luther in ND

I've seen this board in one of their Southern California shops. Not a bad
deal for a 40 channel/8 buss board with built-in meter bridge. I'm not
certain about their pre's and I think the faders feel a little weird for
such a large board (they don't seem to have the same feel or resistance as
higher end boards). But, the feature to price ratio seems pretty high.
According to their website, they have a 10 day trial period that starts when
you receive the board. The only down side is that if you don't like the
board, you'd have to pay return shipping (which might be a considerable
cost). You might also inquire with them to see if there are any SL series
boards in North Dakota that you might be able to check out.

If you aren't dead set on having a large format mixer, but need this many
channels, another option would be to pick up a small format digital mixer
like the Yamaha 01V96, Tascam DM-24 or the Behringer DDX3216. In some cases,
it is possible to slave them together. These all have outstanding features,
and with a modest learning curve, can become very powerful FOH tools. Plus,
you can automate your mixes and save snapshots which can be handy when you
have multiple acts. As for price, a single 01V96 or Tascam DM-24 would be
about the price of the SL40, but you could easily buy two DDX3216 desks
(along with the ADAT expansion cards) from MF, and have money to spare for
Behringer ADA8000 preamps (you would need these for all of the digital
boards mentioned, since they come with 12, 16, or 12 mic preamps,
respectively).

Craig
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 10:50:21 AM

Gina Goiter wrote:

> We just did a similar thing here and we went with a Behringer, Art and
> Samson system provided to us by the Pros at Sam Ash NYC. We almost went
> with an Alesis RA-100 but the Samson sounded so much clearer for the same
> money.This system kicks and it sounds so much sweeter than the old
> Mackie/Carvin Bryston/Crown set up we were using and the best part is Sam
> Ash took the Bryston and Crown stuff on trade and gave us a great price.
> Any pro will tell you that Art stuff rocks and Samson is tops for
> amplification.

Is this a joke or a troll? I really can't tell whether you're trying to
be funny or trying to get everyone stirred up.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:06:19 AM

saxofunk@gmail.com wrote:
> capabilities that rival studio consoles. Digital boards are amazing,
> Tascam and Yamaha make great products (Yamaha makes good analog
> consoles as well). However digital can get expensive when you need a
> large number of mic pres. If you go with digital, be sure to ask
about
> the quality of the A/D converters, these sample the analog signal and
> convert it to digital information. Sample rates refer to the number
of

= = = snip some digital chatter = = =

I am old school, and I feel that digital has no place
in live SR except in very unusual and specific cases.
Totally unneeded and more things to go wrong.

To OP: I recently made some live recordings of The Woolpullers
at a show where the SR guy was using a Carvin that looked
like the SL40. Most of the channels I recorded from sends off
the Carvin except the overheads. Decent results. About half
the songs on their independent release were from that show.
Made in USA, right ? Sometimes that is an incentive for me ...

rd
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:09:46 AM

RD Jones <annonn@juno.com> wrote:
>To OP: I recently made some live recordings of The Woolpullers
>at a show where the SR guy was using a Carvin that looked
>like the SL40. Most of the channels I recorded from sends off
>the Carvin except the overheads. Decent results. About half
>the songs on their independent release were from that show.
>Made in USA, right ? Sometimes that is an incentive for me ...

Is it actually made in the USA? I didn't think they were.

I will say that the Carvin mixers are a big step up from the Carvin speakers,
which are junk. The mixers are a little lightweight and flimsy, but they
aren't terrible. I'd put them in the same category that I'd have put Mackie
a decade ago. It ain't no Midas and it won't hold up as long as a Midas,
so figure that into your total cost of ownership.

That said, 40 channels is an awful lot, and you can get a really nice 24
channel console for $6k....
--scott
January 28, 2005 4:41:36 PM

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message > Is it actually made in
the USA? I didn't think they were.

When I lived in San Diego, I visited the Carvin shop to see what was up.
Most of the Gear is assembled right there in the shop. Some of the
Circuitboards are farmed out sometimes, but they have the facilities to
construct them in house.

Nathan
January 29, 2010 5:48:36 PM

YES my church uses a 56 channel Carvin mixer and the quality was clean and ok until it had a bad grounding problem... and the whole board gives off a HUMMING BUZZING SOUND that REALLY ANNOYS US ALL!!! :fou:
!