Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
nVidia's new FX features DDR2 RAM with twice the bandwidth of DDR. This allows the FX to be competitive even on a 128-bit memory bus (compared to a 256-bit bus on Radeon.) I remember when nVidia came out with the first geForce, and the next edition included the first DDR RAM solution. Soon after, we began seeing DDR RAM on PCs.

Are we going to start seeing DDR2 memory for PCs soon?

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDRII was supposed to be introduced for PC's about...NOW. It didn't happen. The reason? Availability of PC3200. Intel had doubts standard DDR would run that fast, so they originally specified DDR400 to be DDRII-400. But when PC3200 proved itself, Intel went with the cheaper solution.

Next step? Maybe DDRII 600. DDRII 533 was probably squashed in favor of PC2700 Dual Channel.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Aske and ye shall receive. I asked this question and a couple days later, Intel announces its roadmap at IDF including its future plans for DDR2 in 2004. So on aquad-pumped Intel board, would DDR2 on a 200 mhz bus be, in effect, a 1.6 ghz FSB?

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Doubtfull. QDR CPU bus at 200MHz is QDR800. Memory for this bus could be Dual Channel DDR400, or DDR-II 800 (both run at 200MHz clock).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>