Adding a gigabit switch to my network

Hockallz

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi

Today I added a gigabit switch to my network http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362256708&sr=8-1,

My router/modem is the Sagecom sky router 204n I believe.

I assume I have done everything correctly but am not getting any speed increase when transferring files (in fact it has dropped a little) I currently get about 7.5mbps between my computer and my server. All are wired connections.

I have the modem/router connected to the Gigabit switch and the switch is connected to my server and a PC. Slight complication is I use 200mb homeplugs to connect from the switch to the PC, the server is connected straight to the switch, also I am waiting on some cat6 cables I've orrdered I have no idea what I'm using...

I realise the homeplugs might cause a bottleneck but I did expect an increase. Does my setup look flawed in anyway?

It's not unusual for 200Mbps powerline adapters to be pretty slow. And iirc, they're half-duplex, meaning they can only transmit in one direction at a time (unlike ethernet which is full-duplex). I've seen powerline transfers as slow as 12-14Mbps, sometimes worse depending on local wiring issues.

So the first thing I’d do (if possible), just to make sure all your other ducks are in a row, is run an ethernet cable from the PC to the Gigabit switch. Leave powerline out of the equation and measure again.