furrther recommendable rpg games ...

Hello folks,

I'm in need of a new good prg game (PC).

I have played all the good and real prg games. I will list them in order of
my favourite (most favourite on top).

Gothic I and II
KotoR I and II
Baldurs Gate II (and add on)
Morrowind and both add ons
Neverwinter nights and both add ons
Wizzardry
Arx fatalis
planescape torment
fallout 2
divine divinity
temple of the elementary evil

I don't like hack and slay games like Dungeon Siege or Sacred

I'm also disappointed of the Dungeon Lords (what was made very promising)
because of far to few quests.

What more good rpg game are availabe?

Many thanks!

Micha

Nostromo wrote:
> Isn't KULT that one where you play a chick? What's it like (in summary)? Is
> it a strategy hybrid at all?

Yes, you can only be female.

It's not strategy, apart from having to use some tactics to survive,
and some strategies like having the right type of attacks available
depending on the foes you're combatting. It's very actiony. I played a
fast-attack wind mage and my main tactic was running around in circles
trying not to get hit while my powerful lightning attack charged up
then blasting an enemy for a whop of damage, then back to running,
repeat, etc. I think certain builds (like mine) were kind of tedious to
play because of all the running you had to do to avoid getting
slaughtered. I did a couple of builds and no matter what I couldn't
find a build that could stand in one place and just soak up the damage,
it was hit-and-run tactics no matter what I picked or I died too often.

Knight37

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:45:08 +0200, Michael Westphal wrote:

> What more good rpg game are availabe?

Seems that you already played all of the more-or-less recent titles worth
playing. Since you enjoyed Divine Divinity, you could give Beyond Divinity
a whirl. It's nowhere as exciting as DD, but still, you might like it (I
had been trouble finding it in German stores when I looked recently, even
in the Versandhandel).

A game I was surprised at was The Fall. I waited until the Extended Version
had come out and then picked it up inexpensively. Since you liked Fallout,
you might enjoy The Fall. It's a pretty solid post-nuclear RPG (group
management style) that has some nifty quests and an actually immersive
storyline. There will be a patch that adds facial animations to the "cut
scene"-type of conversations.

If you can handle really old school graphics, take a look at the large
number of RPGs by Jeff Vogel at http://spiderwebsoftware.com/ There are
demos for all of his games, so you can try them out to see whether you can
live with the retro-look. Story-wise, his games are superb and quite deep.
Better than many of the state-of-the-art titles that came out in the recent
years. I'd recommend the Avernum series, since I'm not so fond of scifi
elements, but the Geneforge games seem quite popular, too.

If you liked Baldur's Gate, perhaps Icewind Dale and its expansion may
appeal to you. They are more hack-and-slashy then BG, but I enjoyed the
setting (probably biased because I really did like Salvatore's Icewind
trillogy). Icewind Dale 1 + expansion and Icewind Dale 2 are still on sale
as part of the Black Isle Compilation 2.

M.

> A game I was surprised at was The Fall. I waited until the Extended
> Version
> had come out and then picked it up inexpensively. Since you liked Fallout,
> you might enjoy The Fall. It's a pretty solid post-nuclear RPG (group
> management style) that has some nifty quests and an actually immersive
> storyline. There will be a patch that adds facial animations to the "cut
> scene"-type of conversations.

I can't find "The Fall". Looking at Amazon brings up

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (PC)

and

Dark Fall: Lights Out (PC)

But these are both no rpg games, are they?

cheers,

Michael

Thusly "Michael Westphal" <michael-westphal@arcor.de> Spake Unto All:

>What more good rpg game are availabe?

The only good, recent, rpg's I've played and which were not on your
list are KULT: Heretic Kingdoms, which is an enjoyable but
light-weight diablo-clone, and Guild Wars, which is extremely pretty
and reminiscent of a multiplayer Morrowind. Guild Wars *can* be played
as a single-player game, but requires you to be online, which may be a
deal breaker for you, and is really intended to be played
cooperatively.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:49:27 +0200, Michael Westphal wrote:

> I can't find "The Fall". Looking at Amazon brings up ...

Did you look at US Amazon? The Fall has only been released in the German
speaking territories so far. I had mentionmed it because your name and
email address were German, so I figured this wouldn't be a problem. :)

Let's see ...

Okaysoft carries it still. Go to http://okaysoft.de/ and click on "PC
games", then search for "The Fall". They have the extended version in stock
for 26,90 Euro.

PCFun.de also has it stocked, for a couple Euro more:
http://pcfun.de/produkte.php?detail=2276&bsearch=fall

Ah, and yes, Amazon.de has it, too: http://tinyurl.com/bv45j (amazon.de).
27,45 Euro there.

M.

Quoth The Raven: Michael Westphal <michael-westphal@arcor.de> in
431fec00$0$2110$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm in need of a new good prg game (PC).
>
> I have played all the good and real prg games. I will list them in
> order of my favourite (most favourite on top).
>
> Gothic I and II
> KotoR I and II
> Baldurs Gate II (and add on)
> Morrowind and both add ons
> Neverwinter nights and both add ons
> Wizzardry
> Arx fatalis
> planescape torment
> fallout 2
> divine divinity
> temple of the elementary evil
>
> I don't like hack and slay games like Dungeon Siege or Sacred
>
> I'm also disappointed of the Dungeon Lords (what was made very
> promising) because of far to few quests.
>
> What more good rpg game are availabe?
>

> Many thanks!
>

> Micha

coming soon
stalker
tes4: oblivion
hellgate: london
might and magic: dark messiah

--
Warning, keyboard not found. Press Enter to continue.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

nostromo

Thus spake "Michael Westphal" <michael-westphal@arcor.de>, Thu, 8 Sep 2005
09:45:08 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Hello folks,
>
>I'm in need of a new good prg game (PC).
>
>I have played all the good and real prg games. I will list them in order of
>my favourite (most favourite on top).
>
>Gothic I and II
>KotoR I and II
>Baldurs Gate II (and add on)
>Morrowind and both add ons
>Neverwinter nights and both add ons
>Wizzardry
>Arx fatalis
>planescape torment
>fallout 2
>divine divinity
>temple of the elementary evil
>
>I don't like hack and slay games like Dungeon Siege or Sacred
>
>I'm also disappointed of the Dungeon Lords (what was made very promising)
>because of far to few quests.
>
>What more good rpg game are availabe?
>

>Many thanks!
>

>Micha

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (hands down).
If you liked Fallout & TB combat, perhaps the Jagged Alliance series; more
recently Metalheart. If you don't mind spacey stuff, Star Wolves. I'm out.
;)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 08 Sep
2005 13:21:56 +0200, Anno Domini:

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>Isn't KULT that one where you play a chick?

That's the one, yeah.

> What's it like (in summary)?

Diablo revisited.

> Is it a strategy hybrid at all?

As in RTS? No. There is some tactics involved, possibly slightly more
than in Diablo, but mainly it's just a fairly fun Diablo-clone, right
down to isometric 2D view. Straight up kill things & find stuff. If
you liked Diablo, then you may like this. If you didn't like Diablo,
then you wont like this one either.

--

Michael Westphal wrote:
> I'm in need of a new good prg game (PC).

Jagged Alliance 2
Deus Ex
Vampire
The graphics in Baldur's Gate 1 isn't that far off from BG2, why not
give that one a shot?

You could also try Mechwarrior Mercenaries. There are many squad games
out there with stats, you can recruit party members, kill for money,
buy weapons/armor, and constant upgrading. They have an RPG feel to it
as well.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 08 Sep
2005 19:22:03 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Isn't KULT that one where you play a chick?
>
>That's the one, yeah.
>
>> What's it like (in summary)?
>
>Diablo revisited.
>
>> Is it a strategy hybrid at all?
>
>As in RTS? No. There is some tactics involved, possibly slightly more
>than in Diablo, but mainly it's just a fairly fun Diablo-clone, right
>down to isometric 2D view. Straight up kill things & find stuff. If
>you liked Diablo, then you may like this. If you didn't like Diablo,
>then you wont like this one either.

Hmmm...may look for it in a bargain bin this w/e. Tx!

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com>, 8 Sep 2005 06:49:32 -0700, Anno
Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>> Isn't KULT that one where you play a chick? What's it like (in summary)? Is
>> it a strategy hybrid at all?
>
>Yes, you can only be female.
>
>It's not strategy, apart from having to use some tactics to survive,
>and some strategies like having the right type of attacks available
>depending on the foes you're combatting. It's very actiony. I played a
>fast-attack wind mage and my main tactic was running around in circles
>trying not to get hit while my powerful lightning attack charged up
>then blasting an enemy for a whop of damage, then back to running,
>repeat, etc. I think certain builds (like mine) were kind of tedious to
>play because of all the running you had to do to avoid getting
>slaughtered. I did a couple of builds and no matter what I couldn't
>find a build that could stand in one place and just soak up the damage,
>it was hit-and-run tactics no matter what I picked or I died too often.
>
>Knight37

Sounds...painful...:-/

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> once tried to test me with:

> Thus spake "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com>, 8 Sep 2005 06:49:32
> -0700, Anno Domini:
>

>>Nostromo wrote:
>>> Isn't KULT that one where you play a chick? What's it like (in
>>> summary)? Is it a strategy hybrid at all?
>>
>>Yes, you can only be female.
>>
>>It's not strategy, apart from having to use some tactics to survive,
>>and some strategies like having the right type of attacks available
>>depending on the foes you're combatting. It's very actiony. I played a
>>fast-attack wind mage and my main tactic was running around in circles
>>trying not to get hit while my powerful lightning attack charged up
>>then blasting an enemy for a whop of damage, then back to running,
>>repeat, etc. I think certain builds (like mine) were kind of tedious
>>to play because of all the running you had to do to avoid getting
>>slaughtered. I did a couple of builds and no matter what I couldn't
>>find a build that could stand in one place and just soak up the
>>damage, it was hit-and-run tactics no matter what I picked or I died
>>too often.
>>
>>Knight37
>
> Sounds...painful...:-/

It's not painful but it isn't a cakewalk like D2 on normal and it does
require some skill.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Thus spake "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com>, 8 Sep 2005 06:49:32
>> -0700, Anno Domini:

>>>Yes, you can only be female.
>>>
>>>It's not strategy, apart from having to use some tactics to survive,
>>>and some strategies like having the right type of attacks available
>>>depending on the foes you're combatting. It's very actiony. I played a
>>>fast-attack wind mage and my main tactic was running around in circles
>>>trying not to get hit while my powerful lightning attack charged up
>>>then blasting an enemy for a whop of damage, then back to running,
>>>repeat, etc. I think certain builds (like mine) were kind of tedious
>>>to play because of all the running you had to do to avoid getting
>>>slaughtered. I did a couple of builds and no matter what I couldn't
>>>find a build that could stand in one place and just soak up the
>>>damage, it was hit-and-run tactics no matter what I picked or I died
>>>too often.
>>>
>>>Knight37
>>
>> Sounds...painful...:-/
>>

>It's not painful but it isn't a cakewalk like D2 on normal and it does
>require some skill.

Sounds a whole lot like the running around any low HP Bowazon or
Sorceress had to do with flame enchanted types or those damn exploding
bone dolls on the way to Mephisto.

Xocyll

Hello Michael,

many thanks for your help!

One further ting please:

The Fall is highly discussed in Amazon in customer reviews.
To give me the opportunity to evaluate the game further I'm looking for a
forum of that game.
Do you know one by any chance?

Thanks!

Micha

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:43:09 +0200, Michael Westphal wrote:
>
> > To give me the opportunity to evaluate the game further I'm looking for a
> > forum of that game.
>
> Yes, the developer's forums are quite active. Lots of material there:
>
> http://www.silver-style.com/forum/index.php?c=7 (German)
>
> M.

Okay, we're gonna need one of you two to change his name. This is just
bad netiquette.

Laszlo