Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
I haven't played a lot of single player RPGs .. I have played Gothic 1 and 2
and found them very involving and a lot of fun to play.. I am looking for
another game in the same sort of style.. also as immersive.. One thing that
I did also like about the gothics is that everything was vocalised. having
to read through heaps and heaps of stuff I don't find as much fun (I believe
morrowind is a bit like this) .. are there any new gothic-like games out
there!? else I'll be forced to play them again and again :)

--
Sean

nostromo

Thus spake "Sean" <sean@NOSPAMgrieve.com.au>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:27:42
+0800, Anno Domini:

>Hi,
>I haven't played a lot of single player RPGs .. I have played Gothic 1 and 2
>and found them very involving and a lot of fun to play.. I am looking for
>another game in the same sort of style.. also as immersive.. One thing that
>I did also like about the gothics is that everything was vocalised. having
>to read through heaps and heaps of stuff I don't find as much fun (I believe
>morrowind is a bit like this) .. are there any new gothic-like games out
>there!? else I'll be forced to play them again and again :)

"Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines" - hands down if you liked G1/G2. Not
fantasy, but close enough if you don't mind vampires. Best crpg I've played
since Torment. Make sure you install the official 1.2 patch & the fan-based
(Tx Werner!) 1.7 is a good idea as well.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Sean wrote:
> One thing that
> I did also like about the gothics is that everything was vocalised. having
> to read through heaps and heaps of stuff I don't find as much fun (I believe
> morrowind is a bit like this)

Oblivion, the next game after Morrowind in the Elder Scrolls series,
will have everything vocalized. If you can wait a couple of months for
it to come out, it should be a good choice.

Jared

Thusly "Sean" <sean@NOSPAMgrieve.com.au> Spake Unto All:

>Hi,
>I haven't played a lot of single player RPGs .. I have played Gothic 1 and 2
>and found them very involving and a lot of fun to play.. I am looking for
>another game in the same sort of style..

The gothics are quite unique, BUT you would probably enjoy Knights of
the Old Republic I. The sequel isn't as good, but might be easier to
find now.
Then there's basically only the MMORPGs. I play Guildwars, but I'd lie
if I said it's particularly similar to the Gothics. Nothing is.

On the up-side Gothic3 is slated for release next year (I think).

Someone suggested the Thief games, and it's not a bad suggestion. The
world is reminiscent of the one in Gothic. They're good games,
although the graphics of the two first in the series are extremely
dated by now.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Blue

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

"Sean" <sean@NOSPAMgrieve.com.au> ׫Œ‘ì¶à]¼þЄ:432252ae$1@funnel.arach.net.au...
> Hi,
> I haven't played a lot of single player RPGs .. I have played Gothic 1 and
> 2 and found them very involving and a lot of fun to play.. I am looking
> for another game in the same sort of style.. also as immersive.. One thing
> that I did also like about the gothics is that everything was vocalised.
> having to read through heaps and heaps of stuff I don't find as much fun
> (I believe morrowind is a bit like this) .. are there any new gothic-like
> games out there!? else I'll be forced to play them again and again :)

Fable - The Lost Chapters.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:22:15 +0800, "blue" <blue@blue.com> wrote:

>"Sean" <sean@NOSPAMgrieve.com.au> ׫Œ‘ì¶à]¼þЄ:432252ae$1@funnel.arach.net.au...
>> Hi,
>> I haven't played a lot of single player RPGs .. I have played Gothic 1 and
>> 2 and found them very involving and a lot of fun to play.. I am looking
>> for another game in the same sort of style.. also as immersive.. One thing
>> that I did also like about the gothics is that everything was vocalised.
>> having to read through heaps and heaps of stuff I don't find as much fun
>> (I believe morrowind is a bit like this) .. are there any new gothic-like
>> games out there!? else I'll be forced to play them again and again :)
>
>Fable - The Lost Chapters.

Yeah, Fable is like Gothic, just like Zork is like Gothic.
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Clintok wrote:
> "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:22:15 +0800, "blue" <blue@blue.com> wrote:
> >

> >>"Sean" <sean@NOSPAMgrieve.com.au>
> >>׫O'ì¶à]¼þÐÂÂ":432252ae$1@funnel.arach.net.au...
> >>
> >>Fable - The Lost Chapters.
> >
> > Yeah, Fable is like Gothic, just like Zork is like Gothic.
>
> Ah, memories of the SAT!
>
> GOTHIC : FABLE
>
> steak : vaguely steak-flavored paste.u

Actually, I'm enjoying Fable tremendously... and I've never been able
to really get into Gothic or Gothic 2, despite repeated attempts.

What's wrong with Fable? It seems like one hell of an action RPG, so
far.

Laszlo

<chaoslight@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Actually, I'm enjoying Fable tremendously... and I've never been able
to really get into Gothic or Gothic 2, despite repeated attempts. What's
wrong with Fable? It seems like one hell of an action RPG, so
far.

It just felt thin to me. It was fun, but only in very small doses. And the
escort quests really pissed me off. And you can't jump, IIRC, which is a
pet peeve.

Thusly chaoslight@gmail.com Spake Unto All:

>Actually, I'm enjoying Fable tremendously... and I've never been able
>to really get into Gothic or Gothic 2, despite repeated attempts.
>
>What's wrong with Fable? It seems like one hell of an action RPG, so
>far.

Asked & answered.

Not that action RPG's cant be enjoyable, but full-blown rpg's like
Gothic 1 & 2 they're not.

--

"Clintok" <nobody@nothanks.not> ׫Œ‘ì¶à]¼þЄ:LbCdnbxZOdEKA7jeRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> <chaoslight@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Actually, I'm enjoying Fable tremendously... and I've never been able
> to really get into Gothic or Gothic 2, despite repeated attempts. What's
> wrong with Fable? It seems like one hell of an action RPG, so
> far.
>
> It just felt thin to me.

yeah, only ~20 hours of play time...too short. Also the immersed world,
playing from childhood till adulthood and such are just candy covered lies.
You play the childhood for about 10~20 minutes then you jump to teenage,
which is just some combat tutorial, and streight you go to adulthood to
start the game...I was expecting something like Zelda (N64), not this kinda
lie. Many other things are just candy covered lies, or over exaggerated
propaganda. Story is linear, maps are small.

> It was fun, but only in very small doses. And the escort quests really
> pissed me off.

learn Healing skills early, this will make escort quests easier.

> And you can't jump,

yeah, I hate this one.

> IIRC, which is a pet peeve.

well, I'm still enjoying it despite the candy lies. I enjoyed it for about
20 hours (15 if you ignored the tedious side quests).

Blue

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net>
???????:a2nai19pff5e7dg972qp02lho3e07aatpr@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:22:15 +0800, "blue" <blue@blue.com> wrote:
>

>>"Sean" <sean@NOSPAMgrieve.com.au>
>>׫O'ì¶à]¼þÐÂÂ":432252ae$1@funnel.arach.net.au...
>>> Hi,
>>> I haven't played a lot of single player RPGs .. I have played Gothic 1
>>> and
>>> 2 and found them very involving and a lot of fun to play.. I am looking
>>> for another game in the same sort of style.. also as immersive.. One
>>> thing
>>> that I did also like about the gothics is that everything was vocalised.
>>> having to read through heaps and heaps of stuff I don't find as much fun
>>> (I believe morrowind is a bit like this) .. are there any new
>>> gothic-like
>>> games out there!? else I'll be forced to play them again and again :)
>>
>>Fable - The Lost Chapters.
>
> Yeah, Fable is like Gothic, just like Zork is like Gothic.

Well, I didn't claimed Fable IS Gothic, but the OP asked for a game like
Gothic style, I felt Fable does offer somthing simillar to Gothic i.e.
Villagers have their onw daily activities, MOST of them have voice acting,
you are free to do what you like (though the pesky Guildmaster is constantly
nagging me trying to get mt back to the rail, while I'm having fun fooling
around and doing side quests).

The wooing the girls and marrying is stupid. The girls aren't having any
personalities, most don't even have a name. Also you couldn't differentiate
wheter the girl is married or not so most of the time you end up wooing
someone's wife (talk about moral... my hero got an angel's halo above his
head yet he is wooing someone's wife.....) and all that the jealous husband
would do is syaing "Hey! She's mine!"....not lifting even a finger on me.

And all that it takes to woo a girl is just some stupid gesture and some
cheap gift??? Lady Gray could be the most hard to get girl in the whole
game.

Harvest Moon series have done a far more better job in this aspect.

I'm certain the freak in Lion Head Studio that have come up with this stupid
idea have never been laid (never will).

On 10/09/05 05:01, Nostromo wrote:
> "Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines" - hands down if you liked G1/G2. Not
> fantasy, but close enough if you don't mind vampires. Best crpg I've played
> since Torment. Make sure you install the official 1.2 patch & the fan-based
> (Tx Werner!) 1.7 is a good idea as well.

Does anyone else experience incredibly slow load-times for VtM:B? I've
never known a game load so slowly!

nostromo

Thus spake Sine Nomine <invalid@nospam.com>, Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:48:27
+0100, Anno Domini:

>On 10/09/05 05:01, Nostromo wrote:
>> "Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines" - hands down if you liked G1/G2. Not
>> fantasy, but close enough if you don't mind vampires. Best crpg I've played
>> since Torment. Make sure you install the official 1.2 patch & the fan-based
>> (Tx Werner!) 1.7 is a good idea as well.
>
>Does anyone else experience incredibly slow load-times for VtM:B? I've
>never known a game load so slowly!

No worse than HL2 - it does use the Source engine after all, albeit an early
version ;)

Depends on your threshold of load tolerance - what's your rig?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.