Router overkill?

jeneraljoe

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi and thanks for checking out my post :)

I just recently switched from att broadband 5Mbps to comcast 20Mbps. I purchased my own modem (Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem) and for the wifi router I went with ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

Router specs:
3 x Detachable antenna for 2.4GHz/5GHz with peak gain 3dBi/ 5dBi
IPv6 support; VPN Server Support
802.11n: up to 450Mbps ; 802.11a/g: up to 54Mbps; 802.11b: up to 11Mbps
Supports Ethernet and 802.3 with max. bit rate 10/100/1000 Mbps
4 x LAN ports for 10/100/1000 BaseT
2 x USB2.0 support got Printer sharing or HDD sharing

My hope was to get the best router for my home setup which is:
Just cancelled Dish Network for OTA HD broadcast, captured and sent to tv's via HDHomerun dual (networked)
I'm using 3 xbox 360's to stream Netflix, Hulu, amazon and Windows Media Center.
Media Center is my Dvr and this is how I get the OTA tv signal to tv's (Via xbox wired connections)

So my intent was getting a well rated (and expensive $165 bucks) router to handle all the streaming, BUT I'm concerned that the xbox won't take the 1000 Mbps that the router puts out.

I don't have any devices that use 5GHz wireless (unless the xbox wireless does but like I said i use wired setup)

IS THIS WIFI ROUTER OVERKILL?

Thanks

Joe

If the Xbox can't handle the amount of data the router throws at it, the router will simply back off and give it whatever it can handle. All routers work this way. In fact, this is the way TCP/IP is designed to work. Traffic “speeds” are self-regulating.

So while ANY decent router could deal w/ this particular issue, it still never hurts to have as much router as you can afford given it’s the heart of your network. But if you want to cut back a bit to save a few bucks, you could probably live w/o the 5GHz band if you don’t have interference issues, eliminate USB if don’t need it for external storage devices or printers, etc.