Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you confirm something for me, please?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:44:42 AM

My mom has vista 32bit on her comp, I can upgrade it to windows pro 64bit with no issue, right?

More about : confirm

a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:57:58 AM

To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

Click View and print details.

In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type. Under 64-bit capable, you can see whether you can run a 64-bit version of Windows. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 3:01:16 AM

Sure, as long as you have a copy of Windows 7 Proffesional 64-bit (unless you mean XP) then you can easily do an upgrade or clean install.

June 11, 2012 1:45:15 PM

Thanks guys. Another question, just want to be completely sure, i got windows 7 upgrade advisor and it said i can upgrade to home or ultimate, does that mean i can't get pro? it's just my mom is able to get a very good discount for the pro but not home or ultimate.
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 1:47:36 PM

Win7 Pro will work OK.

Are you wanting to keep all the current Vista settings?
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:02:29 PM

sage12 said:
My mom has vista 32bit on her comp, I can upgrade it to windows pro 64bit with no issue, right?

Not exactly.

1) If you mean upgrade in place, that is not possible when converting from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. A clean install is required.

2) Regardless, you will need a new copy of windows 7 64 bit.

3) Is there a reason to need PRO vs. home premium? There are few reasons for the home user.

4) The only upgrade package I know of is for home premium. It will cost about the same as a oem product. The advantage is that you get both 32 and 64 bit versions, and it is considered as retail. That means that you can later transfer the license, and you get MS support. If you really need pro, I think you can then purchase the upgrade and change to pro with out a reinstall. I do not know if this, in total, would be a less expensive approach than just buying pro to begin with.

5) The way to get this done is to first protect whatever you hold dear. Then run Windows easy transfer to export your current settings and files to someplace. Install the 64 bit version of your choice. Then import your files and settings. Your apps must be reinstalled.
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:05:19 PM

sage12 said:
Thanks guys. Another question, just want to be completely sure, i got windows 7 upgrade advisor and it said i can upgrade to home or ultimate, does that mean i can't get pro? it's just my mom is able to get a very good discount for the pro but not home or ultimate.

Home premium upgrade will be about $100. What will she be paying for pro?
June 11, 2012 2:18:28 PM

geofelt said:
Home premium upgrade will be about $100. What will she be paying for pro?

I think its like 68.00, I know I didn't believe it either, i never thought i'd see a save like that, i looked and confirmed mult times and made sure it was legit, i wish i could get one for me at that price, lol.
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:21:19 PM

Post a link to that offer.

Don't want you to end up with counterfeit software.
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:24:57 PM

Is it one of those School/University-negotiated Microsoft Select license price for eligible individuals?
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:25:29 PM

sage12 said:
I think its like 68.00, I know I didn't believe it either, i never thought i'd see a save like that, i looked and confirmed mult times and made sure it was legit, i wish i could get one for me at that price, lol.

Unless there is some special relationship, like a student discount, or an employee discount, I would be suspicious too.
Where will she be purchasing it? Do you have a link?
The only legit big discount I know of is for the family upgrade package which gives you three licenses for about $135.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XYAV3U/ref=pd_lpo_...
June 11, 2012 2:30:29 PM

geofelt said:
Unless there is some special relationship, like a student discount, or an employee discount, I would be suspicious too.
Where will she be purchasing it? Do you have a link?
The only legit big discount I know of is for the family upgrade package which gives you three licenses for about $135.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XYAV3U/ref=pd_lpo_...

it take you to Microsoft page when you're ready to buy.... http://www.journeyed.com/item/Microsoft/Windows+7/15341... .. now that i look at it further it is both 32 and 64bit

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:36:12 PM

That's a legit offer.
If you can pass the validation testing for the discounted price it's an excellent deal.

You have the option of 32bit or 64bit software as well.
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:40:31 PM

sage12 said:
it take you to Microsoft page when you're ready to buy.... http://www.journeyed.com/item/Microsoft/Windows+7/15341... .. now that i look at it further it is both 32 and 64bit

That offer requires that you qualify for an academic discount. You must be a student with a .edu e-mail address.

I think there may be other restrictions, once you are no longer a student.

You can get the home premium upgrade for $96 @ amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Up...
June 11, 2012 2:44:55 PM

i have confirm everything, i just want to make sure i won't have problem using the pro since i din't get that option with the windows 7 upgrade tool check
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:46:38 PM

I think 32bit Win7 Pro is your best option.
Should be a smooth upgrade.

Do you know how to do a hash check to ensure your download is correct?
June 11, 2012 2:51:57 PM

nop
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2012 2:58:45 PM

You can compare the hash listed on the download page to the one this utility program will calculate for you. They should be identical, and if they're not you had a failed download.

MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility

Most of the better download helpers will do that for you automaticially, getting the download verified.

June 11, 2012 3:22:22 PM

thanks for all the help
June 18, 2012 9:22:16 PM

Best answer selected by sage12.
!