Can anyone recommend a single player MRPG (ie, not online)

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 12:50:37 PM

I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
World of Warcraft at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 1:22:50 PM

Grel wrote:
> I was thinking of Morrowind. Any opinions on this game?

Morrowind is a great game, but be aware that it's HUGE for a
single-player game- it took me a whole summer to finish it the first
time. Both expansions are pretty good as well, and add a few
ease-of-use features to the interface, if I remember correctly.
Morrowind is probably the best known of the single player 3D action
RPGs.

While I do recommend Morrowind, I wouldn't recommend it as a "first RPG
ever" as it's a bit slow to start (can be frustrating at first), and
while the leveling up/skilling up is good in my opinion, it's pretty
involved.

Three other modern RPGs I'd recommend would be Arx Fatalis, Gothic, and
Gothic II. All are 3D and offer interesting worlds to explore (Gothic
II's as big as Morrowind if not bigger), and their gameworlds are a bit
more 'alive' than Morrowind. Things like inventory management and
levelling up are a bit more streamlined in these games (not as many
options, but easier to manage).

Arx has a funky spell-casting system, and the Gothics have funky
control mechanisms, but it's worth the effort to get used to their
quirkiness because they're all immersive, fun games. I've completed
all of the games I mentioned at least twice.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 6:30:09 PM

Grel wrote:
> I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
> World of Warcraft at the moment.
>
> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks to all who replied.

I checked up on Guild Wars, and while it is free to play online, it requires
more of a "join a team" atmosphere (from what I've read).

At this point I'd rather play a game where it's just me building up my
character and going on solo missions.

I was thinking of Morrowind. Any opinions on this game?
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 6:30:10 PM

"Grel" <grel@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Grel wrote:
>> I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
>> World of Warcraft at the moment.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Thanks to all who replied.
>
>I checked up on Guild Wars, and while it is free to play online, it requires
>more of a "join a team" atmosphere (from what I've read).

Just to interject here.
While it is at least somewhat team-based, those team members DON'T have
to be other players.
While the henchmen aren't as "smart" as the players they will do the job
most of the time.

I've _had_ to team with real people exactly once - for a mission that I
couldn't quite manage to complete solo (Henge of Denravi), since it
involved both fighting AND hauling stuff to claim portals and you can't
do both simultaneously with only one real player.

The instanced countryside (missions) is both good and bad.
Good in the sense that you can NEVER be bothered by other players while
there and bad in the sense that if you can't quite do a mission you
can't call a friend to come join you and help out without redoing the
mission from the start.

The only other particularly "bad" thing is that you can only ignore 10
people, a woefully inadequate number.

>At this point I'd rather play a game where it's just me building up my
>character and going on solo missions.
>
>I was thinking of Morrowind. Any opinions on this game?

It has it's points, and I certainly enjoyed playing it and it's addons.
Plus of course this long after release, you'll almost certainly have a
system capable of running it well.

Xocyll
September 10, 2005 10:57:36 PM

Xocyll wrote:

> The instanced countryside (missions) is both good and bad.
> Good in the sense that you can NEVER be bothered by other players while
> there and bad in the sense that if you can't quite do a mission you
> can't call a friend to come join you and help out without redoing the
> mission from the start.

I think that the good greatly outweighs the bad. I loved the instances, and many
times wished for them while playing WoW. It is a royal drag to travel to an area
just to find the monsters you wanted to kill already dead, and the resources you
wanted to harvest already emptied.
September 10, 2005 11:26:28 PM

Thus spake "Grel" <grel@yahoo.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:50:37 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
>World of Warcraft at the moment.
>
>Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>
>Thanks.

Guild Wars, no question about it. Just say yes. :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

September 10, 2005 11:26:29 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:26:28 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Guild Wars, no question about it. Just say yes. :)

Just say no, it is online :-)
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 11, 2005 2:09:06 AM

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:26:28 +1000, Nostromo
><nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Guild Wars, no question about it. Just say yes. :)
>
>Just say no, it is online :-)

So is usenet and he seems to be capable of using that.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 11, 2005 8:14:26 AM

Thusly "Grel" <grel@yahoo.com> Spake Unto All:

>> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Thanks to all who replied.
>
>I checked up on Guild Wars, and while it is free to play online, it requires
>more of a "join a team" atmosphere (from what I've read).
>
>At this point I'd rather play a game where it's just me building up my
>character and going on solo missions.

That's actually completely possible in Guildwars. I mostly play solo.

>I was thinking of Morrowind. Any opinions on this game?

Loved it to death for three months. Then got bored with it with a
vengeance, and haven't touched it since. Good game, massive wide-open
MMORPG-like world, but it felt static and dead to me. There were also
a lot of balancing issues & exploits, which may have been fixed in the
updates, I do not know.

Gothic2 is however a far better game, IMO.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>>I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
>>World of Warcraft at the moment.
>>
>>Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>Guild Wars, no question about it. Just say yes. :)

Seconded. It's an online game, but doesn't have monthly fees. And it's
really very good. Hell, I even play it myself!

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
September 11, 2005 7:26:15 PM

"Grel" <grel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
> World of Warcraft at the moment.
>
> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>
> Thanks.
Also think about

Classic (ie. OLD)
Betrayal at Krondor - free from several sites (search)
Arena free from Bethsoft site
Daggerfall Ebay
Goldbox series difficult to find and run on modern
computers
Wizardry 4-7 as above

More recent but aged
Fallout 1 and 2
Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 (with expansions) will keep you busy for months
Planescape Torment
September 11, 2005 7:47:13 PM

Thus spake "Grel" <grel@yahoo.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:09 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>Grel wrote:
>> I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
>> World of Warcraft at the moment.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Thanks to all who replied.
>
>I checked up on Guild Wars, and while it is free to play online, it requires
>more of a "join a team" atmosphere (from what I've read).
>
>At this point I'd rather play a game where it's just me building up my
>character and going on solo missions.
>
>I was thinking of Morrowind. Any opinions on this game?

You don't want to hear my opinion on it & I'd consider myself a relative
veteran of crpgs (since the days of zork, b4 'roleplaying' games didn't even
exist, through all the gold box, etc crgps). If you really want a pure,
offline, SP crpg, I can't recommend Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
highly enough, if you're not fixated on high fantasy & don't mind vampire
themes. I've mentioned it in more detail in another thread.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 11, 2005 9:33:59 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:09 GMT, "Grel" <grel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Grel wrote:
>> I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
>> World of Warcraft at the moment.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Thanks to all who replied.
>
>I checked up on Guild Wars, and while it is free to play online, it requires
>more of a "join a team" atmosphere (from what I've read).

It is certainly possible to solo by using NPC henchmen, though a
part-monk character will always have an easier time doing so. Healing &
buffing your henchmen makes them much more effective, as they're quite a
few levels below you, at least to start with.

>At this point I'd rather play a game where it's just me building up my
>character and going on solo missions.
>
>I was thinking of Morrowind. Any opinions on this game?

I think it's a great game, and it's continuously been on my pc since it
first came out. It's very free-form, and won't appeal to those who
prefer a more narrative-oriented game. There is a large mod community
with many well-developed mods available to add to the game in various
ways. I suggest you check out alt.games.morrowind and
alt.games.elder-scrolls, both of which have a reasonable number of
contributors.
--
Greg Johnson
Anonymous

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:09 GMT, "Grel" <grel@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Grel wrote:
>>> I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
>>> World of Warcraft at the moment.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>>Thanks to all who replied.
>>
>>I checked up on Guild Wars, and while it is free to play online, it requires
>>more of a "join a team" atmosphere (from what I've read).
>
>It is certainly possible to solo by using NPC henchmen, though a
>part-monk character will always have an easier time doing so. Healing &
>buffing your henchmen makes them much more effective, as they're quite a
>few levels below you, at least to start with.

Heh, mostly my part monk characters ignore the henchies.
That's what the henchie healer is for - I just need resurrect when she's
dead or acting like a spas and running back and forth not raising the
dead members.

My monk/warrior type mostly just hit things with an axe and kept a few
constant spells on herself (mending, live vicariously, and another I can
recall just now)

The ranger/monk, really only had healing breeze (much faster to cast
than troll unguent) and resurrection.
I think I might have used Judge's Insight for one of the undead-heavy
missions.

If the resurrection signet wasn't limited to one shot per mission, being
part monk would be significantly less attractive.

Xocyll
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 12, 2005 3:51:08 AM

Don't play Guild Wars. It's a good game and is a lot of fun solo but
it's not a good game to start on at all for a PC RPG. Morrowind is a
somewhat good game but it can leave you wondering what to do next and
probably not the best for a first-time PC RPG.

As to what to play that sort of depends upon what you like. In my view
by far the three best PC RPG's of all time are Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2),
Planescape Torment (PST), and Wizardry 8 (Wiz8). All 3 are great game.
However, none of them are state-of-the-art or were released recently.
PST has an amazing story with a lot of reading involved so unless that
sounds good you'll probably want to avoid that at first. Wiz8 uses a
combat system which might not be best for a first time game plus it may
be a bit confusing as to where to go next so it might not be best for a
first time game.

BG2 is the one I'd recommend because it is the most well-rounded of the
games with lots of variety plus it is generally very popular (it was a
big seller) and appealed to a lot of people.

If, on the other hand, you require state-of-the-art graphics then PC
RPG's may not be for you or maybe you'd prefer action-rpg's of which
there are many. Of the action RPG's Diablo 2 is probably the most
popular and it is very well done for what it is although it is not
state-of-the-art, I haven't enjoyed any of the state-of-the-art
action-rpg's lately as action-rpg's are not really my cup of tea.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 12, 2005 5:03:35 PM

"Josh Mayfield" <ultibloo-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Grel wrote:
>> I was thinking of Morrowind. Any opinions on this game?
>
> Morrowind is a great game, but be aware that it's HUGE for a
> single-player game- it took me a whole summer to finish it the first
> time. Both expansions are pretty good as well, and add a few
> ease-of-use features to the interface, if I remember correctly.
> Morrowind is probably the best known of the single player 3D action
> RPGs.

Morrowind is very open. If you intend to do all the quests it can take you
forever, but you don't really have to. If you roleplay you won't join all
the different competing guilds.

On the other hand, you can finish Morrowind in seven minutes, which I
suspect is a record for any RPG!
http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html
(Note how different the two record attempts are in their strategy)
September 12, 2005 8:16:50 PM

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
???????:D 6q5i1l16cuv2fv2dsep3ftim6boas3179@4ax.com...
> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
>>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:26:28 +1000, Nostromo
>><nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>>Guild Wars, no question about it. Just say yes. :)
>>
>>Just say no, it is online :-)
>
> So is usenet and he seems to be capable of using that.

ever tried to play online games in a school computer lab or a library
internet terminal?

monocell.
September 12, 2005 11:09:06 PM

Thus spake "NFLed" <NFLed@aol.com>, 11 Sep 2005 23:51:08 -0700, Anno Domini:

>Don't play Guild Wars. It's a good game and is a lot of fun solo but
>it's not a good game to start on at all for a PC RPG. Morrowind is a
>somewhat good game but it can leave you wondering what to do next and
>probably not the best for a first-time PC RPG.
>
>As to what to play that sort of depends upon what you like. In my view
>by far the three best PC RPG's of all time are Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2),
>Planescape Torment (PST), and Wizardry 8 (Wiz8). All 3 are great game.
> However, none of them are state-of-the-art or were released recently.
>PST has an amazing story with a lot of reading involved so unless that
>sounds good you'll probably want to avoid that at first. Wiz8 uses a
>combat system which might not be best for a first time game plus it may
>be a bit confusing as to where to go next so it might not be best for a
>first time game.
>
>BG2 is the one I'd recommend because it is the most well-rounded of the
>games with lots of variety plus it is generally very popular (it was a
>big seller) and appealed to a lot of people.
>
>If, on the other hand, you require state-of-the-art graphics then PC
>RPG's may not be for you or maybe you'd prefer action-rpg's of which
>there are many. Of the action RPG's Diablo 2 is probably the most
>popular and it is very well done for what it is although it is not
>state-of-the-art, I haven't enjoyed any of the state-of-the-art
>action-rpg's lately as action-rpg's are not really my cup of tea.

All very good advice indeed. But I'd like to go back to Grel's original
post:

"I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
World of Warcraft at the moment."

To even mention WoW means he's considered it, so 'single player MRPG' in
this context must mean 'can be soloed, but multi/online' (you listenin Kaos?
;-p). His followup:

"I checked up on Guild Wars, and while it is free to play online, it
requires
more of a "join a team" atmosphere (from what I've read).
At this point I'd rather play a game where it's just me building up my
character and going on solo missions."

....clearly makes it a possibility. Guild Wars still fits the bill best in my
books, as a couple of others have clearly described how great it can be to
solo, even if online only.
If he wants pure offline single-play, he will need to give us more details,
i.e. genre, solo/multi, turn-based/RT, single-char or party-based,
3rd-person or 1st-person, pure rpg or adventure/fps hybrids ok, etc, etc. I
would certainly _NOT_ recommend Morrowind as a starting crpg to anyone in a
million years - it just ain't that user friendly, even for veterans like
myself. Period.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 19, 2005 1:33:53 AM

Grel wrote:
> I've never played a PC RPG before and I can't afford the monthly fee of
> World of Warcraft at the moment.
>
> Can anyone recommend a single player RPG?
>
> Thanks.

If you're looking for a fastasy game, the Baldur's Gate series is your
best bet. If you'd prefer a post-apocalyptic "Mad Max" sort of world,
then Fallout is the best choice. Both run fine on modern PCs and can be
easily found in bargain bins or on Ebay. The graphics are a bit dated
(moreso with Fallout), but still look good enough to serve their purpose
of imersing you in the game world.
!