Power Supply rigging

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Hey all,

I've got a standard AT power supply that I want to rig for use as a regular power supply, i.e. for non-computer use. DOes anyone know how I would do that? (do i need to short certain pins on the motherboard connector or something? I couldn't jsut turn it on.)

-Kallenin

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
at power supplys turn on with a regular switch. atx you have to short two pins on the atx connector. i think its the green wire and any black wire.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
If there isnt a seperate switch, then it prolly means you got a weird AT OEM PSU, in which case you would need to find the pins to short out. You do mean AT, not ATX right?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
So here's the detailed (albeit silly) situation:

I made an awesome fan array from case fans and power supply fans, and I want to hang it on my ceiling. I connected it to an AT power supply, and when I switched it on, the fans turned on briefly and then died. I tried plugging in the power supply to a motherboard, and then it didn't even turn on. I even tried connecting the 5V pin to the power good pin. Anyway, is the power supply probably funked up, or what? Could it have been wierded when I sprayed out the entire inside with a compressed air can? (ugh...dust everywhere...in thick globs...)

-Albert C.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some late model AT power supplies had a smart switch which would detect the motherboard. I've tried for HOURS to figure out how to disable it. The other solution is to use an OLDER style AT power supply without the smart switch.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Well here's an extra quirk:

When I turn it on without anything plugged in, it doesn't start up. However, the fan starts twitchting every second or so. I mean like literally twitchting. NOt going a few revolutions and stopping, but just a small twitch (or large quiver). Maybe a fuse is half-blown, or some capacitor is busted? It semms that maybe it isn't "charging up" properly? (the capacitor, that is)

-Kallenin

svol

Champion
You might want to try this to see if that by-passes the motherboard check: the first pin of the mobo plug is the power good wire, connect that one too the ground (black) and see if that works.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
AT suppies normally need a load of at least 1-2 amp on the +5V to operate, which you can provide with one 5 ohm, 20 watt resistor or a pair of 5 ohm, 20 watt resistors in parallel. 10 ohm, 10 watt resistors are more commona and can be combined in parallel for identical resistance and power ratings.