Partition and drivers

helenora

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello,everybody!

I want to install Windows7 on my laptop. I would like to have several partitions , but when I started installation process I can see only one partition available and option "new" is not active. how can I create new partition .

btw, I have I have a hard drive 500Gb, but while installing OS it only shows about 465 Gb. what is wrong?

also the question about drivers. when can I install them? after installing OS or before that as I see an option "drivers" just at the beginning of installation.

well, I've read topics related to windows7 installation on this forum, but I found nothing about partition.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

You only see one partition because there's only one partition. It's already been created, and it's using all the space. If you want to create more partitions, you'll need to shrink the existing partition first. You can do this during setup by deleting the existing partition and creating new ones of the desired sizes, but this will destroy all your data. If you want to preserve your data, you'll need to use a piece of software like Acronis.

btw, I have I have a hard drive 500Gb, but while installing OS it only shows about 465 Gb. what is wrong?
Nothing, it's a difference in the way hard drive spaces are measured by your computer and hard drive manufacturers. Your computer uses the correct method of measuring binary sizes, while hard drive manufacturers use decimal sizes which result in slightly higher numbers. You are not missing any space.

also the question about drivers. when can I install them? after installing OS or before that as I see an option "drivers" just at the beginning of installation.
You install them after installing the operating system. The Windows installer will install default drivers for pretty much everything to get the computer working. In general you want to replace these with the drivers from the manufacturer.

correon

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
The drive is formatted? You loose some gb when formatting a drive - so that the reason to you don´t have the full gb.

It depends on which drivers you think of - special drivers like HDD controller need to be installed before OS - other drivers like soundcard chipset and so on need to be installed when OS is installed

helenora

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Yep, that screen that asks you to select a disk has all the options you'll need. Click on your one partition and you'll find that the Delete button becomes enabled. Click it, it will ask for confirmation, then delete the partition. You'll then have an entry labeled "Unallocated Space." Click that, select New, and set a size for the new partition. Repeat with the remaining space until you've got all the partitions you want. Be sure you've got it how you want before continuing, because resizing partitions is a lot harder than making them in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS