Battery notes re Tungsten E

June 14, 2004 9:56:13 AM

I wanted to relate some experiences with charging and discharging the
batteries of my Tungsten E.

1. The TE charges just fine with the wall-wart charger.

2. The TE charges just fine using the USB hot-sync cable connected to
either the USB 1.1 port on my laptop or the USB 2.0 port on my
desktop.

3. I bought the Palm cigarette lighter charger (the one that plugs
into an automobile cigarette lighter and provides power through a
hot-sync USB cable), the one specifically targeted at the TE. This
never did charge the TE at all. Clearly it's broke -- don't know if
it is just that unit or if all the Palm USB cig chargers have this
problem. Unfortunately, I picked it up at CompUSA and they charged me
a 15% "restocking fee" for the return (I intend to make that my last
CompUSA purchase). I'm hoping to try the Belkin version of this ...
it would be nice to be able to charge the TE when I'm on the road.

4. I have the Belkin Wireless Keyboard for PDA. This works just fine
with the TE. The only issue is that when the wireless keyboard is
enabled (something you do from an app on the PDA) then the battery
drains at a steady pace -- even if the TE is turned off. So if you
leave "wireless keyboard" enabled, turn the TE off, and then come back
about 12 hours later you may not be able to turn the TE on again
without charging it up first. I used BatteryGraph 1.2.1 (by Jeroen
Witteman) to see what was happening; it looks like a nice steady ramp
down of about 30-40 mV per hour. So, if you have this keyboard, the
key thing is to remember to disable the wireless keyboard when you are
done using it ... certainly when turning the TE off for long periods.

5. I used the TE normally (avg ontime about 30 min / day) and after 3
days it was down to 75% of the battery's operating range. So it seems
that I could go at least a week between charges.

--
Dave Hein

More about : battery notes tungsten

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:36:54 AM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 05:56:13 -0700, I think Coot gave this opinion:

> I wanted to relate some experiences with charging and discharging the
> batteries of my Tungsten E.

I'll share, too.

> 1. The TE charges just fine with the wall-wart charger.

Yup

> 2. The TE charges just fine using the USB hot-sync cable connected to
> either the USB 1.1 port on my laptop or the USB 2.0 port on my desktop.

Haven't really tried a test, but it seems to charge very slowly this way.

> 3. I bought the Palm cigarette lighter charger (the one that plugs into an
> automobile cigarette lighter and provides power through a hot-sync USB
> cable), the one specifically targeted at the TE. This never did charge
> the TE at all. Clearly it's broke -- don't know if it is just that unit
> or if all the Palm USB cig chargers have this problem. Unfortunately, I
> picked it up at CompUSA and they charged me a 15% "restocking fee" for the
> return (I intend to make that my last CompUSA purchase). I'm hoping to
> try the Belkin version of this ... it would be nice to be able to charge
> the TE when I'm on the road.

I got mine at Radio Shack. I think the 6v would work, but I chickened out
and got the 4.5v cord. It works great, just as well as the wall charger.
I forget the exact price, but I think it was about $5 for the cord and $3
for the tip. Just make sure when you attach the tip the polarity is right!

> 4. I have the Belkin Wireless Keyboard for PDA.

<snip>

I don't have one, nor do I know anything about them.

> 5. I used the TE normally (avg ontime about 30 min / day) and after 3
> days it was down to 75% of the battery's operating range. So it seems
> that I could go at least a week between charges.

I use mine as an ebook reader and mp3 player, probably 4-5 hours a day,
and don't like to let the charge get too low, so I plug it in whenever I'm
close to a charger, several times a day. When the battery indicator reads
about half-way down, it takes maybe 30 minutes to get back to full charge.

Rory (aka Bozo)
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:26:14 PM

In article <a3a96207.0406140456.126f4cad@posting.google.com>,
dhein@acm.org (Coot) wrote:

> never did charge the TE at all. Clearly it's broke -- don't know if
> it is just that unit or if all the Palm USB cig chargers have this
> problem. Unfortunately, I picked it up at CompUSA and they charged me
> a 15% "restocking fee" for the return (I intend to make that my last
> CompUSA purchase). I'm hoping to try the Belkin version of this ...
> it would be nice to be able to charge the TE when I'm on the road.

? They shouldn't charge a restocking fee for defective merchandise ...

> 4. I have the Belkin Wireless Keyboard for PDA. This works just fine
> with the TE. The only issue is that when the wireless keyboard is
> enabled (something you do from an app on the PDA) then the battery
> drains at a steady pace -- even if the TE is turned off.

There's no wireless keyboard app on my T|E. Did it come with the keyboard?
June 15, 2004 10:12:28 AM

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in message news:<guy-1406041126520001@192.168.1.103>...
> In article <a3a96207.0406140456.126f4cad@posting.google.com>,
> dhein@acm.org (Coot) wrote:
>
> > never did charge the TE at all. Clearly it's broke -- don't know if
> > it is just that unit or if all the Palm USB cig chargers have this
> > problem. Unfortunately, I picked it up at CompUSA and they charged me
> > a 15% "restocking fee" for the return (I intend to make that my last
> > CompUSA purchase). I'm hoping to try the Belkin version of this ...
> > it would be nice to be able to charge the TE when I'm on the road.
>
> ? They shouldn't charge a restocking fee for defective merchandise ...

Their policy is: you can swap it for an identical unit at no cost,
but if you just want to return it -- for ANY reason (even if
defective) -- then it's a 15 percent penalty. I didn't want to swap
because I believe there is an engineering defect in the cig adapter
(it has a different design than most), so I didn't want to keep going
through an endless cycle of return-retry.

Note that this policy is stated on the receipt. Essentially, you are
trusting the manufacturer to not deliver a defective product; you are
trusting CompUSA for _nothing_.

> > 4. I have the Belkin Wireless Keyboard for PDA. This works just fine
> > with the TE. The only issue is that when the wireless keyboard is
> > enabled (something you do from an app on the PDA) then the battery
> > drains at a steady pace -- even if the TE is turned off.
>
> There's no wireless keyboard app on my T|E. Did it come with the keyboard?

Correct. This comes with the keyboard. I believe that the Palm
wireless keyboard (more expensive than Belkin, and keeps the PDA
offcenter from the keyboard) will also come with such an app ... the
app is something that interprets what is coming through the IR port
and converts it to keystrokes in the entry fields on the screen --
each such keyboard probably has their own IR protocol for the
keypresses and so needs a custom app to do the interpretation.

--
Dave Hein
June 15, 2004 9:27:27 PM

On 15 Jun 2004 06:12:28 -0700, Coot wrote:

> Their policy is: you can swap it for an identical unit at no cost,
> but if you just want to return it -- for ANY reason (even if
> defective) -- then it's a 15 percent penalty. I didn't want to swap
> because I believe there is an engineering defect in the cig adapter
> (it has a different design than most), so I didn't want to keep going
> through an endless cycle of return-retry.

Is that a new policy, or only for certain types of merchandise?
I've returned items to CompUSA within the last several months and
gotten full credit (didn't ask for a refund though). I don't recall
the precise terms, but now that I think of it, the 15% restocking
fee may only be enforced if items are not returned within 14 or 15
days of purchase.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 9:39:33 AM

BillB <rainbose@earthlink.newt> wrote:
> Is that a new policy, or only for certain types of merchandise?
>I've returned items to CompUSA within the last several months and
>gotten full credit (didn't ask for a refund though). I don't recall
>the precise terms, but now that I think of it, the 15% restocking
>fee may only be enforced if items are not returned within 14 or 15
>days of purchase.

I returned a dialup modem to CompUSA about a month ago and even though the
receipt plainly said there was a restocking fee they didn't charge me. The
reason I returned it was that I couldn't get it to show the incoming call on the
screen as advertised. Probably my fault, but still no further questions asked
before my card was fully credited. Perhaps it depends on the store, or maybe
your bring back record, this was my first.
June 16, 2004 10:39:54 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 05:39:33 GMT, Aaron Jones wrote:

> I returned a dialup modem to CompUSA about a month ago and even
> though the receipt plainly said there was a restocking fee they didn't
> charge me. The reason I returned it was that I couldn't get it to show
> the incoming call on the screen as advertised. Probably my fault, but still
> no further questions asked before my card was fully credited.

In my case it was only an inexpensive set of 4 AA NiMH batteries
that didn't live up to billing. After getting burned once or twice
I always test new rechargeables. Over the years I've tested many of
them, about a dozen different brands, with rated capacities of 1000
to 2300 mah. Despite what I've read several times (that these cells
won't attain full capacity until they've gone through a few
charge/discharge cycles) all of them checked out at very close to
the rated capacity for the first 3 or 4 charges. The ones I got
from CompUSA (rated at 2300 mah) consistently performed as if they
were 1600 mah cells. In addition, even though I couldn't see a
difference while holding them next to other AA cells, they must have
been slightly longer. In most devices (having springs that could be
compressed a moderate amount) the AA's fit well. In two radios the
fit was so tight that it was difficult to install or remove the
batteries. In time, I wouldn't be surprised if the stress/strain
they produced would have cracked the plastic case. I was really
surprised that CompUSA took them back with no questions asked, as
I'd expect rechargeable batteries to be the kind of item that would
be more likely to be used to 'abuse' return privileges.
!