Can't connect LAN... Very confusing.. please Help!

eliezer_kt

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hey everyone, I am a noob, I dont know much so I will try to explain it the best way I can.. Pls bear with me.. :)

I use a 9 meter long LAN cable to connect between two Desktop, both running windows 7, and I don't have a router. Just the simple PC to PC connection from the motherboard's inbuilt network card. I use it to share my internet connection and some files etc.

One of the PC supports Gigabit LAN and the other PC only support 100 Mbit LAN. My file transfer speed across LAN was 12MB/sec, Internet sharing was ok too. Today I upgraded my second PC(the one which supports 100Mbit/sec). And now both my PC's supports Gigabit LAN. After the upgrade I did a fresh installation of Windows 7 on both PC's and my Laptop as well. Downloaded the latest drivers for every one and installed them.

Then connected the LAN cable but both my PC's says "network cable unplugged" in "advanced adapter settings" and when I run system diagnosis it says "the cable is not plugged in correctly or broken" Both the PC show the same error no matter what I do! I have tried everything I can and it still wont detect each other. Both the PC's have Asus motherboard with Realtek network cards. But, when I connect my Laptop with either one of my PC's the LAN connection works perfectly fine, Internet sharing is ok!.. File transfer is a stable 12MB/sec!! :heink:

I suspect my cable is at fault here cuz its pretty old maybe it doesn't support Gigabit LAN(I really dont know). I bought it about 7 or 8 years back. I looked it up everywhere but I cant seem to find anything.

It may be a very simple thing but I cant find the solution anywhere, so help me out alright!

Thanks, I will be impatiently waiting :bounce:

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
It should still come up at 100m even if the cable is not valid. Some older cables only have 2 pair in them and gig uses all 4 pair.

This is a fairly common problem, you see people posting saying I hook then to a gig switch and they work fine but directly they don't work. Tends to always be related to the drivers. According to the 1g standard (and they all say they meet that) it is suppose to negotiate MDI/MDIX ,speed,duplex,flow control etc etc.

I would go into the setting on the nic card itself and try changing the setting from auto to something else. Not the best solution but about all I can suggest short of buying a $20 gig switch. Then again a 9m cat5e cable will only cost you $5 so if you really think the cable is defective it cheap and simple to try.