NTFS Partition scheme with 120GB on W2K?

tluxon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
What's the optimal partitioning scheme using NTFS on a 120GB HD in Windows2000?

Last time I worked in this area, there was some kind of limitation on how many cylinders could be in the primary partition. Are there any such concerns now? What are the advantages of maintaining a dual-boot system (like when one OS gets screwed up, you could still access the files from the other OS)?

Does it make sense to make at least one huge (80GB) partition for overflow of my ReplayTV programs, and another (20GB) for video editing?

Thanks,

Tim

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
No. not with NTFS. Just partition it into as many partitions as you like.

I guess you could do a dual boot, just make sure the other boot OS can see NTFS drives (i.e. 2 XP installs and not 1 XP and 1 win98).

Regarding your partitions... sure, why not? If it works, do it.

Ive got 2 x 80Gb drives in my system.
first drive has a 5Gb OS partition and a 75Gb games/audio one
the second drive is just one big partition.
I could do more, but its neat enough for me.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just make sure the other boot OS can see NTFS drives (i.e. <b>2 XP installs</b> (???) and not 1 XP and 1 win98).
I'm sorry, but what is the point to setup dual-boot with the same OS?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It would be incase the main install goes completely tits-up and is totally non-bootable.

A backup install, on a seperate drive ideally, would allow one to do data recovery, assuming the first drive hasnt died completely.

LagMonster

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Just make one 120GB NTFS partition. NTFS is limited only by the size of the volume. You can create NTFS partitions several terabytes in size. The number of cylinders is meaningless.

Dual boot just complicates things. If you want to backup... by an external harddrive. FireWire harddrives are the probably the best... USB 2.0 works too, but not as well.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd rather use its own image (or WinXP own system restore) instead of the whole drive just to back it up!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Sure... that would work too :wink:

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Uh? Just make sure your data is on D:, C: drive should always just contain the OS so you can reformat C: and do an OS install any time without any worries.

If you have data you really cannot afford to loose then it should always be on at least a RAID1 and make sure you do regular backups to tape or CD.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: