LAN doesn't have a valid ip config. (Not as easy as it sounds)

Erik_04

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I am at wits end. I consider myself very savvy when it comes to computers, but networking has always been my weak point. Anyways I recently bought a desktop off craigslist, it has been working fine for the past month, but I was about to start up a program and it froze. (was beginning to overheat, so it froze.) So no problem, I reset the computer and when I logged on, the internet had a fashionable yellow ! sign. So I diagnosed it and received the "Local Area Network does not have a valid IP configuration." Now every single computer, wired or not, can access the internet so it is specifically my desktop. I have done literally everything suggested in multiple forums, and nothing I do seems to work. I figure instead of listing everything I have done, I will just assume that I either did it wrong, or was given false information on how to do it, so in case one of those hold true I won't be stuck thinking something didn't work. I will be checking this as much as possible (email notification so I will possibly be responding minutes after posts.)

TL:DR- (Though it is important to read it. I doubt this will have a quick easy answer)

-Internet was working
-Computer froze
-Reset Computer
-Internet no longer working on my computer (does on other computers)
-Local Area Network does not have a valid IP configuration

Thank you guys in advance! (been stalking this forum for a while now :whistle: )

RealBeast

Titan
I would guess that if you run ipconfig in the command prompt window you have an address of 169.x.x.x, and in the network control panel it says that it is an unidentified network, no?

What version is your Windows 7 -- Home Premium or Pro/Ultimate (I ask because Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise have a policy editor to fix the unidentified network problem more easily.

Erik_04

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah I have a 169 address, Unidentified network as well, and Enterprise. Actually on second thought, these might help.(there is part of my sys info on the bottom)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Q9550-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-15-87-3C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 12-34-56-78-90-AB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6d:27da:16c1:b629%16(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.182.41(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 318768203
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-D3-A2-64-00-04-4B-15-87-3D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FA47F3C0-092A-44A6-AE9B-2BB5A60561E4}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.Ryans House:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name Q9550-PC
System Manufacturer NVIDIA
System Model 132-CK-NF78
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 3782 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 9/9/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

Erik_04

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Sorry for the late response, I worked overtime and didn't get home until the early hours. Anyways, I already had it set so that Unidentified networks were private, but I changed it to public and back with no results so its not that. Same problem is found as well.

RealBeast

Titan
Have you already tried the other Ethernet port? Do both ports show up in the device manager and say that they are working properly?

An unidentified network can be a difficult issue (as shown by some threads here) and some of the things that are often successful in fixing it include deleting the Ethernet adapters and then re-installing the latest available driver; right click on the adapter in network control panel and disable it, then re-enable it; Norton products can cause this, so try uninstalling them temporarily; the Apple Bonjour service can cause it, so turn that off in services; turn off IPv6 in the adapter control panel settings -- just uncheck it; and there are a number of command prompt commands that can clear the problem (disconnect the network cable first) and then go through these commands -- you will want to use an elevated command prompt so right click and run as admin to open it:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh int reset all

after a few moments reattach your Ethernet cable and try to get an IP address with:
ipconfig /renew in the command prompt window.

Erik_04

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Again sorry for the late response, been working late recently, though the next few days I have off so it won't be a problem. Anyways:
I have tried the other Ethernet port. It acted in the exact same matter.
Both ports show up in the manager and are working properly (even double checked them)
I have deleted and re-installed the drivers.
I have disabled/reabled the drivers.
I do not use norton products.
I do not use Bonjour.
I have turned off IPv6. (for both Local and Local2 connections)
I have gone through all commands with the network cable disconnected, but I did have a few weird ones. When typing the ipconfig /release I got this message: "No operation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconnected. (it says the same thing for local area connection 2.) Also during netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt I was given "There's no user specified settings to be reset." And during the netsh int reset all I got "The following command was not found: int reset all" When I typed in ipconfig /renew, I was given the message "An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."
Out of curiosity, what could have happened during the freeze/reset that would have made everything not work? I mean if it was working before, I reset then it stopped working, it would seem to be that the freeze changed something (or damaged something). I know I stated before that it froze due to overheating, but that was merely a guess (computer was warm and it froze so I figured that was the reason why).

RealBeast

Titan
The original crash may have been due to heat and it corrupted the connection, probably through a registry problem, but this can happen in Windows 7 by just changing networks.

Since they are onboard Ethernet controllers, I would reset my bios and update it if there is a newer version and then re-enable all the settings. I have nothing additional at the moment. Next, I would try the earlier steps again, as they can sometimes work the second (or more) time around.