EQing acoustic guitars

Last response: in Home Audio
January 28, 2005 12:14:31 AM

do you have any special tips on how to track/record and EQ acoustic
guitars...yes I am new to recording. I use cubase sx to record with my
computer through a tascam us-122. should i record guitar 1 twice and
separate it on the different channels?

what will be the best way to get a good full natural?
(dashboard confessional's acoustic only stuff has the sound that i am
aiming for)

what about mic placement?

what kind of mics are best?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of rode nt5's and an audio technica
at3035 for recording the guitar, and also using the at3035 for vocals,
do you think this is a good pick for my low budget home recording?
thanks for any help.

More about : eqing acoustic guitars

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:51:55 AM

> do you have any special tips on how to track/record and EQ acoustic
> guitars...yes I am new to recording. I use cubase sx to record with my
> computer through a tascam us-122. should i record guitar 1 twice and
> separate it on the different channels?

It's certainly not required, but sometimes more sounds better. Doubling is
not required to get a stereo result.

> what will be the best way to get a good full natural?
> (dashboard confessional's acoustic only stuff has the sound that i am
> aiming for)
>
> what about mic placement?
>
> what kind of mics are best?
>
> I'm thinking about getting a pair of rode nt5's and an audio technica
> at3035 for recording the guitar, and also using the at3035 for vocals,
> do you think this is a good pick for my low budget home recording?

I agree with the NT5's, but Rode NT1000's go for about $220 on eBay (new,
from dealers), which I would recommend over the at3035, comparable to an
at4050 or a Neumann TLM-103. If you're looking to save money further
there's the MXL 990, at2020, Apex 420, and several other sub-$100 condensers
that you can pick from based on your specific needs, but the NT1000 is a
steal.

As for placement, there's some quirks. The sound hole emits a lot of muddy
bottom end, so you need some distance from it, but at the same time you
generally want the plucking/picking sounds, which come from the same spot.
Small diaphrams are good for dodging the woof, but a distance of 12-18"
helps too. I get the best stereo representation with an over/under pattern
with the mics aligned 90 degeres to each other pointing towards the 12th
fret with a separation of 14-20".

You'll find many acoustic guitars have strong resonant tones in the 120-250
range (*cough* Takamine *cough*), which should generally be attenuated with
EQ. When it's a real problem and an alternate guitar isn't feasible, don't
be scared to try blending in the lows from a soundhole pick-up and roll off
the lows from the mics. The pick-up also changes the acoustic
characteristics of the soundhole, often in a way that helps cure such
ailments.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:32:25 AM

At the risk of blowing my own horn...several years ago I wrote a two-part
article for Recording magazine which covered a lot of territory. The gist of
it was that there are many different-sounding instruments going under the
name "acoustic guitar", and they need to be approached differently. Since
this was a few years ago, some microphones now available didn't exist yet,
so they aren't mentioned. I think most of the article's still valid, though,
and you might want to pick up the back-issues from Recording -- Dec. '96,
Jan '97.

BTW, I suspect the NT5's will prove useful.

Peace,
Paul
January 28, 2005 12:16:57 PM

Just to clarify, are you saying the NT1000 sounds as good as a TLM-103? I'm
not arguing, just curious. I like the TLM-103 a lot and have never heard the
NT1000 (although I have an NT-1a and like it a lot). I wouldn't have figured
a $250 mic to be in the same league as the TLM-103.

-Ben

"Sugarite" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> > do you have any special tips on how to track/record and EQ acoustic
> > guitars...yes I am new to recording. I use cubase sx to record with my
> > computer through a tascam us-122. should i record guitar 1 twice and
> > separate it on the different channels?
>
> It's certainly not required, but sometimes more sounds better. Doubling
is
> not required to get a stereo result.
>
> > what will be the best way to get a good full natural?
> > (dashboard confessional's acoustic only stuff has the sound that i am
> > aiming for)
> >
> > what about mic placement?
> >
> > what kind of mics are best?
> >
> > I'm thinking about getting a pair of rode nt5's and an audio technica
> > at3035 for recording the guitar, and also using the at3035 for vocals,
> > do you think this is a good pick for my low budget home recording?
>
> I agree with the NT5's, but Rode NT1000's go for about $220 on eBay (new,
> from dealers), which I would recommend over the at3035, comparable to an
> at4050 or a Neumann TLM-103. If you're looking to save money further
> there's the MXL 990, at2020, Apex 420, and several other sub-$100
condensers
> that you can pick from based on your specific needs, but the NT1000 is a
> steal.
>
> As for placement, there's some quirks. The sound hole emits a lot of
muddy
> bottom end, so you need some distance from it, but at the same time you
> generally want the plucking/picking sounds, which come from the same spot.
> Small diaphrams are good for dodging the woof, but a distance of 12-18"
> helps too. I get the best stereo representation with an over/under
pattern
> with the mics aligned 90 degeres to each other pointing towards the 12th
> fret with a separation of 14-20".
>
> You'll find many acoustic guitars have strong resonant tones in the
120-250
> range (*cough* Takamine *cough*), which should generally be attenuated
with
> EQ. When it's a real problem and an alternate guitar isn't feasible,
don't
> be scared to try blending in the lows from a soundhole pick-up and roll
off
> the lows from the mics. The pick-up also changes the acoustic
> characteristics of the soundhole, often in a way that helps cure such
> ailments.

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:59:11 PM

good info, now the stereo mic technique that everyone seems to talk
about, is it the "X-Y" position? I have a hard time picturing it in my
head. are they pointing up and down the guitar or both pointing at the
12 fret?

one more thing, does anyone know of any tutorials or lessons or
something about how EQing actually works, like the dynamics of what
EQing does. everyone says stuff about 120hz and stuff, but that means
nothing to me except that it's on my eq somewhere :) . thanks
--Jeremiah--
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:05:54 PM

In article <1106889271.666709.282130@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> zadmin@woh.rr.com writes:

> do you have any special tips on how to track/record and EQ acoustic
> guitars...

No. Adjust to taste. But get a good sound going in and you'll use less
EQ (so you can do less harm).

> I'm thinking about getting a pair of rode nt5's and an audio technica
> at3035 for recording the guitar, and also using the at3035 for vocals,
> do you think this is a good pick for my low budget home recording?
> thanks for any help.

That sounds like a good match for your US-122. Once you get the mics,
start recording, experiment with placement, and when you get close
(without any EQ) to the sound you're after, you'll be able to figure
out how to touch it up with EQ. But if you're way off, either because
of the wrong mics or the right mics in the wrong place, you'll never
be able to fix it with EQ.

January 30, 2005 6:19:59 PM

"Ben Hanson" <transparency_76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just to clarify, are you saying the NT1000 sounds as good as a TLM-103?
> I'm
> not arguing, just curious. I like the TLM-103 a lot and have never heard
> the
> NT1000 (although I have an NT-1a and like it a lot). I wouldn't have
> figured
> a $250 mic to be in the same league as the TLM-103.

None of the low end mics I've listened to have been either. The 103 might
not be their best mic but it still beats the top mics of the cheaper
companies (IMO).
!