News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and ..

Looks like SPCS gets the I-81 corridor from Bristol, VA to Martinsburg, WV,
and up I-77 from Wytheville, VA to Parkersburg, WV from Horizon and
increases it's corporate coverage area. Should be a benefit for the former
Horizon customers in that area, especially with F&CA and roaming, as Horizon
had a cap of 50 minutes, wherein SPCS's F&CA option was for 50% of the
minutes used during a billing cycle.

Also, that SPCS will probably re-open the Horizon stores, which were closed
a few months ago. Further details can be read @ http://tinyurl.com/29zam

Bob

Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Oh? And just how do you read that? Why would you say that Western Virginia
> and West Virginia are money losers?

He'd tell you, but Sprint forced him to sign an NDA. ;)

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Oh? And just how do you read that? Why would you say that Western
Virginia
> > and West Virginia are money losers?
>
> He'd tell you, but Sprint forced him to sign an NDA. ;)
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP:
0xE3AE35ED
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
> "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out
and buy
> slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows
98/2000/2003

I live in southern WV and go to school in Blacksburg, VA. I used to work for
Radio Shack and of course sold Sprint. Part of the reason this market is
probably losing money is because of Sprint's lack of tough credit
evaluations when setting up new users. We'd run a credit check on a customer
on Verizon, they'd come back with a $1000 deposit required, we'd run then
for Sprint and it would say they were authorized for 4 lines of service no
deposit. The risk with these people is that they tend to either not pay
their bill, or perpetually pay them late. Granted I can't say everyone that
uses Sprint here is like that, but many people wait till the last minute to
pay bills.

Horizon has done a decent job with providing good coverage. I rarely get a
dropped call and I can hold a data call from Princeton to Beckley without a
hiccup. The Roanoke, VA area is also densely covered. I rarely have a
dropped call... knock on wood. I am glad that SPCS is taking the market
though, F&CA is a great addon that never was worth it until now that the
possibilty of 50% is here. Thank goodness.

Finally, Sprint, just don't mess with the current CSRs in the stores, they
are very nice people. I would hate to see them go.

Jared

"Jared Geiger" <jared@compuwizz.net> wrote in message

> I live in southern WV and go to school in Blacksburg, VA. I used to work
for
> Radio Shack and of course sold Sprint. Part of the reason this market is
> probably losing money is because of Sprint's lack of tough credit
> evaluations when setting up new users. We'd run a credit check on a
customer
> on Verizon, they'd come back with a $1000 deposit required, we'd run then
> for Sprint and it would say they were authorized for 4 lines of service no
> deposit. The risk with these people is that they tend to either not pay
> their bill, or perpetually pay them late. Granted I can't say everyone
that
> uses Sprint here is like that, but many people wait till the last minute
> pay bills.
>
> Horizon has done a decent job with providing good coverage. I rarely get a
> dropped call and I can hold a data call from Princeton to Beckley without
> hiccup. The Roanoke, VA area is also densely covered. I rarely have a
> dropped call... knock on wood. I am glad that SPCS is taking the market
> though, F&CA is a great addon that never was worth it until now that the
> possibilty of 50% is here. Thank goodness.
>
> Finally, Sprint, just don't mess with the current CSRs in the stores, they
> are very nice people. I would hate to see them go.

I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon had
closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there now?

Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only because
SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their customers back
in September ...

Bob

Bob

> I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon had
> closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there now?
>
> Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only because
> SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their customers
back
> in September ...
>
> Bob

Horizon closed most of their stores, but left a few open. The store in
Roanoke, VA is still open and I believe the store in Lynchburg, VA is open.
I also think the store in Charleston, WV is still open. However the
Christiansburg, VA and Beckley, WV stores closed.

Yes I did quit working for Radio Shack in August to go back to school. I'm
glad to see that SPCS started making it harder to get service through them.

> > I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon
had
> > closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there
now?

> > Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only
because
> > SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their customers
> back
> > in September ...
> >
> > Bob
>

> Horizon closed most of their stores, but left a few open. The store in
> Roanoke, VA is still open and I believe the store in Lynchburg, VA is
open.
> I also think the store in Charleston, WV is still open. However the
> Christiansburg, VA and Beckley, WV stores closed.

According to SPCS's site, Charleston does not have a pcs handset service
center, nor is there one with 50 miles. Same thing goes for Roanoke. In
addition, someone from the Roanoke area posted a few weeks to a month ago,
that the store on Valley View was closed, even though it's still listed on
SPCS's site as open.

> Yes I did quit working for Radio Shack in August to go back to school. I'm
> glad to see that SPCS started making it harder to get service through
them.

So do I ...

Bob

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Jared Geiger" <jared@compuwizz.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon
> had
> > > closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there
> now?
> > >
> > > Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only
> because
> > > SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their
customers
> > back
> > > in September ...
> > >
> > > Bob
> >

> > Horizon closed most of their stores, but left a few open. The store in
> > Roanoke, VA is still open and I believe the store in Lynchburg, VA is
> open.
> > I also think the store in Charleston, WV is still open. However the
> > Christiansburg, VA and Beckley, WV stores closed.
>
> According to SPCS's site, Charleston does not have a pcs handset service
> center, nor is there one with 50 miles. Same thing goes for Roanoke. In
> addition, someone from the Roanoke area posted a few weeks to a month ago,
> that the store on Valley View was closed, even though it's still listed on
> SPCS's site as open.
>

> > Yes I did quit working for Radio Shack in August to go back to school.
I'm
> > glad to see that SPCS started making it harder to get service through
> them.
>
> So do I ...
>
> Bob

I can assure you that the Roanoke store is open. They are closed on
Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Jared

as is the beckley wv store. the Ntelos market that horizon leased was sold
to sprint

John Smith <wvukid@yahoo.com> wrote:
> as is the beckley wv store. the Ntelos market that horizon leased was sold
> to sprint

NTelos is a completely separate carrier - or was. Are they still in business?

> John Smith <wvukid@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > as is the beckley wv store. the Ntelos market that horizon leased was
sold
> > to sprint
>
> NTelos is a completely separate carrier - or was. Are they still in
business?

NTelos is very much still in business. They've quit offering the huge
variety of plans they used to though. I think they are still using the
Horizon/SPCS towers too. Ntelos has a web page and multiple stores around
the area still. www.ntelos.com