Data Connections

Last response: in Network Providers
May 16, 2004 11:02:02 PM

I currently have a 2G phone that I use with my laptop with the
"wireless web" plan option, hence it uses minutes from my normal
plan, and is limited to 14.4. It's mainly a fallback to pick up mail
when I'm on the road (I originally bought the phone for this use
and used it extensively, through these day I hardly use it at all,
but I do expect this use to increase again, perhaps extensively again).

On a more involved use I'll telnet to to a site with a newreader,
but this is text based and one message at a time, so speed is not
an issue.

It'll browse too. That's obviously there for the asking since
it's possible, but obviously no speed daemon.

My problem is that I dropped the phone, and it is now flaky.

Basically, I'll take a vision phone if it's all they do not,
but could care less about the vision capability. The problem
is I've just spent some time with Sprint, and trying to make
sense of the web info, and I'm coming up frustrated about
getting answers, including google'ing here. So, my questions:

1) Does sprint support new 2G phones?
2) Can a 3G phone be used in the 2G wireless web mode?
3) I'm confused about exactly what plans are necessary
and what rates they are? Am I right that the 3G data modes
don't use minutes any longer, but are $5 more a month?
And that 14.4 now bites the dust with better throughput,
though at the mercy of possible congestion?
4) A bonus would be being able to fax through the phone too.
Am I correct this is no longer possible with the 3G phones
and/or the 3G sprint plans (dunno if I'm saying this right)?
5) I understand Sprint no longer carries the wireless web
cables. Are those available from say RadioShack for use
with say the SnapDialer applicable? What about for use
with 3G data connections?

If there is any good faq or good site covering some of this,
whether from sprint or not, please provide a pointer.
Ditto for any other words of wisdom about anything I have
no thought about above, etc.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support

More about : data connections

Anonymous
May 16, 2004 11:02:03 PM

Greg -
You didn't mention which 2G phone model you have. Maybe you could keep
doing what you're doing by buying a used 2G phone on eBay. I believe
the Sanyo 4700 and the Samsung A460 were among the last 2G data phones.

Search this newsgroup (Google groups advanced search) for posts by Donna
Becker or DonnaB. I believe she made the switch from using a 2G phone
the way you do to a 3G phone.

I've never done this myself - I've only read about it here.

> 1) Does sprint support new 2G phones?
I don't think so.
> 2) Can a 3G phone be used in the 2G wireless web mode?
I don't think so. It might be able to dial a modem at some other ISP or
corporate modem bank and make a 14.4 connection. But for Sprint to be
your ISP, you'll be using 3G Vision.
> 3) I'm confused about exactly what plans are necessary
> and what rates they are? Am I right that the 3G data modes
> don't use minutes any longer, but are $5 more a month?
Yes. The problem is that Sprint doesn't want you to be using a tethered
phone as a modem, so they don't provide much information about it. They
want you to buy a PC Card with a separate data plan. This has been
discussed a lot here.
> And that 14.4 now bites the dust with better throughput,
> though at the mercy of possible congestion?
Or latency.
> 4) A bonus would be being able to fax through the phone too.
> Am I correct this is no longer possible with the 3G phones
> and/or the 3G sprint plans (dunno if I'm saying this right)?
Don't know.
> 5) I understand Sprint no longer carries the wireless web
> cables. Are those available from say RadioShack for use
> with say the SnapDialer applicable? What about for use
> with 3G data connections?
Yes, yes.

May 17, 2004 5:44:44 AM

"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a 2G phone that I use with my laptop with the
> "wireless web" plan option, hence it uses minutes from my normal
> plan, and is limited to 14.4. It's mainly a fallback to pick up mail
> when I'm on the road (I originally bought the phone for this use
> and used it extensively, through these day I hardly use it at all,
> but I do expect this use to increase again, perhaps extensively again).
>
> On a more involved use I'll telnet to to a site with a newreader,
> but this is text based and one message at a time, so speed is not
> an issue.
>
> It'll browse too. That's obviously there for the asking since
> it's possible, but obviously no speed daemon.
>
> My problem is that I dropped the phone, and it is now flaky.
>
> Basically, I'll take a vision phone if it's all they do not,
> but could care less about the vision capability. The problem
> is I've just spent some time with Sprint, and trying to make
> sense of the web info, and I'm coming up frustrated about
> getting answers, including google'ing here. So, my questions:
>
> 1) Does sprint support new 2G phones?

By support, do you mean servicing a faulty phone? The store by where i live
say they do.
If you mean does Sprint still sell 2G phones, then no. There's always eBay.

> 2) Can a 3G phone be used in the 2G wireless web mode?

No, 2G wireless web mode would enatil dialing-up to any ISP number at
14.4kbps. 2G phones also do faxing.
3G Vision phones are stripped of doing that. They dial #777 and connect to
Sprint's Vision network (servers) directly.

> 3) I'm confused about exactly what plans are necessary
> and what rates they are? Am I right that the 3G data modes
> don't use minutes any longer, but are $5 more a month?
> And that 14.4 now bites the dust with better throughput,
> though at the mercy of possible congestion?

Either add Vision to a voice plan, $15/unlimited, or use Vision without $15
fee on a per use basis at $.01/kb downloaded.
Yes, ''3G data mode'' does not use voice minutes. It is measured by amount
of kilobytes, kb, used.
No, a Sprint 3G phone in ''3G data mode'' is using the Vision service, which
is either a $15 add-on, or $.01/kb, not $5/mth.

> 4) A bonus would be being able to fax through the phone too.
> Am I correct this is no longer possible with the 3G phones
> and/or the 3G sprint plans (dunno if I'm saying this right)?

You're right. Faxing direct from a 3G phone, not possible.
You could look into online faxing.

> 5) I understand Sprint no longer carries the wireless web
> cables. Are those available from say RadioShack for use
> with say the SnapDialer applicable? What about for use
> with 3G data connections?

Yes, RadioShack carries the Futuredial/SnapDialer cables for ''3G data
connections''.
The cables are also available from other sources like DataPilot, Bestbuy.

> If there is any good faq or good site covering some of this,
> whether from sprint or not, please provide a pointer.
> Ditto for any other words of wisdom about anything I have
> no thought about above, etc.

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com is a good place for all sorts of information.

You should be cautious in using your phone via USB cable as a modem, as
Sprint does not officially sanction it, even though it works as such. Light
to moderate use, some say, should be acceptable, but as to what constitutes
moderate use is your discretion.

This quote is from Sprint's terms and conditions:

''Sprint PCS Vision Packs are limited to Sprint PCS Vision Phones and are
not available with any device used as a modem. Services are not available
everywhere''. http://tinyurl.com/27ko8

> --
> Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
> Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==> http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout
> World Class Compilers: Breathtaking C++, Amazing C99, Fabulous C90.
> Comeau C/C++ with Dinkumware's Libraries... Have you tried it?
May 17, 2004 5:44:45 AM

In article <gOUpc.13338$KE6.6088@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
>"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
>> I currently have a 2G phone that I use with my laptop with the
>> "wireless web" plan option, hence it uses minutes from my normal
>> plan, and is limited to 14.4. It's mainly a fallback to pick up mail
>> when I'm on the road (I originally bought the phone for this use
>> and used it extensively, through these day I hardly use it at all,
>> but I do expect this use to increase again, perhaps extensively again).
>>
>> On a more involved use I'll telnet to to a site with a newreader,
>> but this is text based and one message at a time, so speed is not
>> an issue.
>>
>> It'll browse too. That's obviously there for the asking since
>> it's possible, but obviously no speed daemon.
>>
>> My problem is that I dropped the phone, and it is now flaky.
>>
>> Basically, I'll take a vision phone if it's all they do not,
>> but could care less about the vision capability. The problem
>> is I've just spent some time with Sprint, and trying to make
>> sense of the web info, and I'm coming up frustrated about
>> getting answers, including google'ing here. So, my questions:
>>
>> 1) Does sprint support new 2G phones?
>
>By support, do you mean servicing a faulty phone? The store by where i live
>say they do.
>If you mean does Sprint still sell 2G phones, then no. There's always eBay.

I'm more than happy to toss the phone. I'm just trying to understand
the Spring current data offering(s) compared to what I'm used to
(and might prefer).

>> 2) Can a 3G phone be used in the 2G wireless web mode?
>
>No, 2G wireless web mode would enatil dialing-up to any ISP number at
>14.4kbps. 2G phones also do faxing.
>3G Vision phones are stripped of doing that. They dial #777 and connect to
>Sprint's Vision network (servers) directly.

Oh my. So I can't even dial into a modem via direct dialing
(even at 14.4) with Vision or 3G or whatver the right term is here?

>> 3) I'm confused about exactly what plans are necessary
>> and what rates they are? Am I right that the 3G data modes
>> don't use minutes any longer, but are $5 more a month?
>> And that 14.4 now bites the dust with better throughput,
>> though at the mercy of possible congestion?
>
>Either add Vision to a voice plan, $15/unlimited, or use Vision without $15
>fee on a per use basis at $.01/kb downloaded.
>Yes, ''3G data mode'' does not use voice minutes. It is measured by amount
>of kilobytes, kb, used.
>No, a Sprint 3G phone in ''3G data mode'' is using the Vision service, which
>is either a $15 add-on, or $.01/kb, not $5/mth.

So to rephrase Vision get one '3G data mode' by default?
2G wireless web is $10/month, so if Vision is $15/month, isn't
that $5 more? (As with tossing the phone above, I'm not worried
about the cost, just trying to understand what it is and what
is necessary to obtain it.)

>> 4) A bonus would be being able to fax through the phone too.
>> Am I correct this is no longer possible with the 3G phones
>> and/or the 3G sprint plans (dunno if I'm saying this right)?
>
>You're right. Faxing direct from a 3G phone, not possible.
>You could look into online faxing.

(Not a big deal, but it sounds like a step backwards.)

>> 5) I understand Sprint no longer carries the wireless web
>> cables. Are those available from say RadioShack for use
>> with say the SnapDialer applicable? What about for use
>> with 3G data connections?
>
>Yes, RadioShack carries the Futuredial/SnapDialer cables for ''3G data
>connections''.
>The cables are also available from other sources like DataPilot, Bestbuy.

Ok, great.

>> If there is any good faq or good site covering some of this,
>> whether from sprint or not, please provide a pointer.
>> Ditto for any other words of wisdom about anything I have
>> no thought about above, etc.
>
>http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com is a good place for all sorts of information.

Ok, I started from sprintpcs.com as well as a Sprint store,
and well, here I am, so will try springpcsinfo.com too.

>You should be cautious in using your phone via USB cable as
>a modem, as Sprint does not officially sanction it, even though it
>works as such. Light to moderate use, some say, should be acceptable,
>but as to what constitutes moderate use is your discretion.
>
>This quote is from Sprint's terms and conditions:
>
>''Sprint PCS Vision Packs are limited to Sprint PCS Vision Phones and are
>not available with any device used as a modem. Services are not available
>everywhere''. http://tinyurl.com/27ko8

You lost me on this one. How does one do either 2G data or
3G data w/o a USB cable (on a recent PC)? What does Sprint
officially sanction one to use for data mode then? Do you mean
they don't support data calls at all any more in any mode?
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 17, 2004 12:43:18 PM

> [...]
>
> Ok, I started from sprintpcs.com as well as a Sprint store,
> and well, here I am, so will try springpcsinfo.com too.
>
> >You should be cautious in using your phone via USB cable as
> >a modem, as Sprint does not officially sanction it, even though it
> >works as such. Light to moderate use, some say, should be acceptable,
> >but as to what constitutes moderate use is your discretion.
> >
> >This quote is from Sprint's terms and conditions:
> >
> >''Sprint PCS Vision Packs are limited to Sprint PCS Vision Phones and are
> >not available with any device used as a modem. Services are not available
> >everywhere''. http://tinyurl.com/27ko8
>
> You lost me on this one. How does one do either 2G data or
> 3G data w/o a USB cable (on a recent PC)? What does Sprint
> officially sanction one to use for data mode then? Do you mean
> they don't support data calls at all any more in any mode? They do.

Vision phones have web browsers that let you get information like news,
email, stock quotes, download ringers and games and so on, and so did some
2G phones. Other than for phone web browsing, Sprint would rather people buy
laptop PC cards and accompanying data plan to use Vision on PCs. Basically
if you want to tether your vision phone to your computer as a modem for data
use, it works, but at your own risk 'cause they don't officially sanction
it. Why....read their terms of service.

> Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
> Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==> http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout
> World Class Compilers: Breathtaking C++, Amazing C99, Fabulous C90.
> Comeau C/C++ with Dinkumware's Libraries... Have you tried it?
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:23:05 PM

In article <GW_pc.10727$zO3.9640@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
>"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <gOUpc.13338$KE6.6088@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>> DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
>> >You should be cautious in using your phone via USB cable as
>> >a modem, as Sprint does not officially sanction it, even though it
>> >works as such. Light to moderate use, some say, should be acceptable,
>> >but as to what constitutes moderate use is your discretion.
>> >
>> >This quote is from Sprint's terms and conditions:
>> >
>> >''Sprint PCS Vision Packs are limited to Sprint PCS Vision Phones and are
>> >not available with any device used as a modem. Services are not available
>> >everywhere''. http://tinyurl.com/27ko8
>>
>> You lost me on this one. How does one do either 2G data or
>> 3G data w/o a USB cable (on a recent PC)? What does Sprint
>> officially sanction one to use for data mode then? Do you mean
>> they don't support data calls at all any more in any mode?
>
> They do.

Ok.

>Vision phones have web browsers that let you get information like news,
>email, stock quotes, download ringers and games and so on, and so did some
>2G phones.

Right, I can get that now (just text based).

>Other than for phone web browsing, Sprint would rather people buy
>laptop PC cards and accompanying data plan to use Vision on PCs. Basically
>if you want to tether your vision phone to your computer as a modem for data
>use, it works, but at your own risk 'cause they don't officially sanction
>it. Why....read their terms of service.

This is one other reason (for me) to be confused then, since they
do expressly publicize using a laptop to make a connection,
but it didn't hit me that they really meant to only for use with
a wireless card. I'm assuming it would be really dumb of them
to disable it in some way in the future, but I guess I'll worry
about that when and if that time ever comes.

Ok, so it looks like the "damage" is a 3G phone (I'm sure
I'll have fun with it even though I don't need it),
$5 more a month for Vision ($15 - $10), finding a cable
for the phone to the PC, and that's it?
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 17, 2004 7:43:17 PM

In article <c8aebp$r1i$1@panix1.panix.com>,
Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>In article <GW_pc.10727$zO3.9640@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
>>"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message

>>> You lost me on this one. How does one do either 2G data or
>>> 3G data w/o a USB cable (on a recent PC)? What does Sprint
>>> officially sanction one to use for data mode then? Do you mean
>>> they don't support data calls at all any more in any mode?
>>
>> They do.
>
>Ok.
>
>>Vision phones have web browsers that let you get information like news,
>>email, stock quotes, download ringers and games and so on, and so did some
>>2G phones.
>
>Right, I can get that now (just text based).
>
>>Other than for phone web browsing, Sprint would rather people buy
>>laptop PC cards and accompanying data plan to use Vision on PCs. Basically
>>if you want to tether your vision phone to your computer as a modem for data
>>use, it works, but at your own risk 'cause they don't officially sanction
>>it. Why....read their terms of service.
>
>This is one other reason (for me) to be confused then, since they
>do expressly publicize using a laptop to make a connection,
>but it didn't hit me that they really meant to only for use with
>a wireless card. I'm assuming it would be really dumb of them
>to disable it in some way in the future, but I guess I'll worry
>about that when and if that time ever comes.
>
>Ok, so it looks like the "damage" is a 3G phone (I'm sure
>I'll have fun with it even though I don't need it),
>$5 more a month for Vision ($15 - $10), finding a cable
>for the phone to the PC, and that's it?

My current plan is $49.99 for 500 anytime minutes,
plus $10/month for 1500 night and weekend minutes
(which I think they refund due to yearly service agreement),
plus $10/month for wireless web, with free LD tossed in
somewhere.

Am I reading it right that with the Free & Clear plan
they are offering the same thing (actually better since
night and weekends are unlimited) for $40? (And that if
I go over I pay $0.30??? per minute.)

Am I also reading the Fair and Flexible Plan right that
if I go for that that if I were to use say 20 minutes
one month I'd pay $35, and if I were to use 1000 the following
month I'd pay $87.50, and then if I were to use 20 minutes
again the following month it would be $35 again?

And that to either of these I can add Vision for $15/month?

What if I keep my current 2G phone, and buy a 3G phone
as an add-a-phone. That'll be what I'm paying now,
plus $20 more a month for the add-a-phone,
plus I guess $15 for the Vision for the 3G phone?
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 17, 2004 11:50:49 PM

"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
<snipped>
> My current plan is $49.99 for 500 anytime minutes,
> plus $10/month for 1500 night and weekend minutes
> (which I think they refund due to yearly service agreement),
> plus $10/month for wireless web, with free LD tossed in
> somewhere.
>
> Am I reading it right that with the Free & Clear plan
> they are offering the same thing (actually better since
> night and weekends are unlimited) for $40? (And that if
> I go over I pay $0.30??? per minute.)
>
> Am I also reading the Fair and Flexible Plan right that
> if I go for that that if I were to use say 20 minutes
> one month I'd pay $35, and if I were to use 1000 the following
> month I'd pay $87.50, and then if I were to use 20 minutes
> again the following month it would be $35 again?
>
> And that to either of these I can add Vision for $15/month?
>
> What if I keep my current 2G phone, and buy a 3G phone
> as an add-a-phone. That'll be what I'm paying now,
> plus $20 more a month for the add-a-phone,
> plus I guess $15 for the Vision for the 3G phone?

Instead of all these follow up questions, here's a suggest. Define what YOUR
needs are! There are a lot of wudda, cudda answers that can be supplied, but
in the end, the answer will be just what your needs are with your cell
phone.

Bob
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 11:50:50 PM

In article <tI8qc.4035$H_3.2566@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
><snipped>
>> My current plan is $49.99 for 500 anytime minutes,
>> plus $10/month for 1500 night and weekend minutes
>> (which I think they refund due to yearly service agreement),
>> plus $10/month for wireless web, with free LD tossed in
>> somewhere.
>>
>> Am I reading it right that with the Free & Clear plan
>> they are offering the same thing (actually better since
>> night and weekends are unlimited) for $40? (And that if
>> I go over I pay $0.30??? per minute.)
>>
>> Am I also reading the Fair and Flexible Plan right that
>> if I go for that that if I were to use say 20 minutes
>> one month I'd pay $35, and if I were to use 1000 the following
>> month I'd pay $87.50, and then if I were to use 20 minutes
>> again the following month it would be $35 again?
>>
>> And that to either of these I can add Vision for $15/month?
>>
>> What if I keep my current 2G phone, and buy a 3G phone
>> as an add-a-phone. That'll be what I'm paying now,
>> plus $20 more a month for the add-a-phone,
>> plus I guess $15 for the Vision for the 3G phone?
>
>Instead of all these follow up questions, here's a suggest. Define what YOUR
>needs are! There are a lot of wudda, cudda answers that can be supplied, but
>in the end, the answer will be just what your needs are with your cell
>phone.

As in my other post in this thread, it's low volume email pickup
and text based telnet'ing. Right now that use with a 2G phone
and "wireless web" option is 0 and has been for months.
There have been months though in the past where I've used most
minutes (as above, 500 anytime, plus 1500 night and weekend)
for wireless web when I'm on the road, which is why I got the
phone to begin with a few years ago (at the time Sprint was
really the only option in town, even if it did not come with
free LD capability I would have taken it). And that (setup and
minute'age) has been sufficient.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 18, 2004 1:27:20 AM

> In article <tI8qc.4035$H_3.2566@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
> ><snipped>
> >> My current plan is $49.99 for 500 anytime minutes,
> >> plus $10/month for 1500 night and weekend minutes
> >> (which I think they refund due to yearly service agreement),
> >> plus $10/month for wireless web, with free LD tossed in
> >> somewhere.
> >>
> >> Am I reading it right that with the Free & Clear plan
> >> they are offering the same thing (actually better since
> >> night and weekends are unlimited) for $40? (And that if
> >> I go over I pay $0.30??? per minute.)
> >>
> >> Am I also reading the Fair and Flexible Plan right that
> >> if I go for that that if I were to use say 20 minutes
> >> one month I'd pay $35, and if I were to use 1000 the following
> >> month I'd pay $87.50, and then if I were to use 20 minutes
> >> again the following month it would be $35 again?
> >>
> >> And that to either of these I can add Vision for $15/month?
> >>
> >> What if I keep my current 2G phone, and buy a 3G phone
> >> as an add-a-phone. That'll be what I'm paying now,
> >> plus $20 more a month for the add-a-phone,
> >> plus I guess $15 for the Vision for the 3G phone?
> >
> >Instead of all these follow up questions, here's a suggest. Define what
YOUR
> >needs are! There are a lot of wudda, cudda answers that can be supplied,
but
> >in the end, the answer will be just what your needs are with your cell
> >phone.
>
> As in my other post in this thread, it's low volume email pickup
> and text based telnet'ing. Right now that use with a 2G phone
> and "wireless web" option is 0 and has been for months.
> There have been months though in the past where I've used most
> minutes (as above, 500 anytime, plus 1500 night and weekend)
> for wireless web when I'm on the road, which is why I got the
> phone to begin with a few years ago (at the time Sprint was
> really the only option in town, even if it did not come with
> free LD capability I would have taken it). And that (setup and
> minute'age) has been sufficient.

If your current plan has been sufficient, then all you need is another 2G
phone (which you haven't said which model you currently have yet). Try
looking on eBay for another.

Now, depending on how long you've had that 2G phone, with the same phone
number, you might qualify for a $150 mail in credit, if you buy a new 3G
phone. You can check this site to see if you qualify.
http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/

If you change to a Vision phone, you will probably have to change plans and
get the vision option, which will probably cost you more $$. You will also
need to extend to a one year or two year contract.

Even though Vision will be a lot faster for you, if you spend quite a bit
online, which it sounds like you do on the weekends, it may raise some flags
with SPCS on the amount you download while tethered to your laptop.

Bob
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:28:33 AM

On 5/17/04 9:23 AM, in article c8aebp$r1i$1@panix1.panix.com, "Greg Comeau"
<comeau@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <GW_pc.10727$zO3.9640@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
>> "Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message

>>> You lost me on this one. How does one do either 2G data or
>>> 3G data w/o a USB cable (on a recent PC)? What does Sprint
>>> officially sanction one to use for data mode then? Do you mean
>>> they don't support data calls at all any more in any mode?
>>
>> They do.
>
> Ok.
>
>> Vision phones have web browsers that let you get information like news,
>> email, stock quotes, download ringers and games and so on, and so did some
>> 2G phones.
>
> Right, I can get that now (just text based).
>
>> Other than for phone web browsing, Sprint would rather people buy
>> laptop PC cards and accompanying data plan to use Vision on PCs. Basically
>> if you want to tether your vision phone to your computer as a modem for data
>> use, it works, but at your own risk 'cause they don't officially sanction
>> it. Why....read their terms of service.
>
> This is one other reason (for me) to be confused then, since they
> do expressly publicize using a laptop to make a connection,
> but it didn't hit me that they really meant to only for use with
> a wireless card. I'm assuming it would be really dumb of them
> to disable it in some way in the future, but I guess I'll worry
> about that when and if that time ever comes.
>
> Ok, so it looks like the "damage" is a 3G phone (I'm sure
> I'll have fun with it even though I don't need it),
> $5 more a month for Vision ($15 - $10), finding a cable
> for the phone to the PC, and that's it?

Yes, that's it. If you get stuck while at it, check back in here.
May 18, 2004 2:55:38 AM

On 5/17/04 3:43 PM, in article c8b4kl$eos$1@panix1.panix.com, "Greg Comeau"
<comeau@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <c8aebp$r1i$1@panix1.panix.com>,
> Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>> In article <GW_pc.10727$zO3.9640@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>> DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
>>> "Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message

>>> They do.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>>> Vision phones have web browsers that let you get information like news,
>>> email, stock quotes, download ringers and games and so on, and so did some
>>> 2G phones.
>>
>> Right, I can get that now (just text based).
>>
>>> Other than for phone web browsing, Sprint would rather people buy
>>> laptop PC cards and accompanying data plan to use Vision on PCs. Basically
>>> if you want to tether your vision phone to your computer as a modem for data
>>> use, it works, but at your own risk 'cause they don't officially sanction
>>> it. Why....read their terms of service.
>>
>> This is one other reason (for me) to be confused then, since they
>> do expressly publicize using a laptop to make a connection,
>> but it didn't hit me that they really meant to only for use with
>> a wireless card. I'm assuming it would be really dumb of them
>> to disable it in some way in the future, but I guess I'll worry
>> about that when and if that time ever comes.
>>
>> Ok, so it looks like the "damage" is a 3G phone (I'm sure
>> I'll have fun with it even though I don't need it),
>> $5 more a month for Vision ($15 - $10), finding a cable
>> for the phone to the PC, and that's it?
>
> My current plan is $49.99 for 500 anytime minutes,
> plus $10/month for 1500 night and weekend minutes
> (which I think they refund due to yearly service agreement),
> plus $10/month for wireless web, with free LD tossed in
> somewhere.
>
> Am I reading it right that with the Free & Clear plan
> they are offering the same thing (actually better since
> night and weekends are unlimited) for $40? (And that if
> I go over I pay $0.30??? per minute.)

If you go over anytime minutes, it's $.40 per minute.

> Am I also reading the Fair and Flexible Plan right that
> if I go for that that if I were to use say 20 minutes
> one month I'd pay $35, and if I were to use 1000 the following
> month I'd pay $87.50, and then if I were to use 20 minutes
> again the following month it would be $35 again?

Exactly.

> And that to either of these I can add Vision for $15/month?

Yes.

> What if I keep my current 2G phone, and buy a 3G phone
> as an add-a-phone. That'll be what I'm paying now,
> plus $20 more a month for the add-a-phone,
> plus I guess $15 for the Vision for the 3G phone?

You would have to change the plan on the primary account to a current
service plan, like the Fair and Flexible plans you referred to, to
add-a-phone to.
I'd suggest that you take advantage of the news plans that now give more
minutes than your old plan, and add vision to it. Example, you say your
current plan is $49.99/500mins + $10/1500 nts/wknds + $10/wrls web = $69.99.

A better plan would be $40/500mins/unlmtd nights/wknds + $15/vision = $55.
Since you're in the market for a 3G phone anyway, you can check to see if
you qualify for a handset upgrade rebate http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com

May 18, 2004 2:55:39 AM

In article <BCCEBB29.414%DavyDE@NYC.com>, DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.com> wrote:
>On 5/17/04 3:43 PM, in article c8b4kl$eos$1@panix1.panix.com, "Greg Comeau"
><comeau@panix.com> wrote:
>> My current plan is $49.99 for 500 anytime minutes,
>> plus $10/month for 1500 night and weekend minutes
>> (which I think they refund due to yearly service agreement),
>> plus $10/month for wireless web, with free LD tossed in
>> somewhere.
>>
>> Am I reading it right that with the Free & Clear plan
>> they are offering the same thing (actually better since
>> night and weekends are unlimited) for $40? (And that if
>> I go over I pay $0.30??? per minute.)
>
>If you go over anytime minutes, it's $.40 per minute.
>
>> Am I also reading the Fair and Flexible Plan right that
>> if I go for that that if I were to use say 20 minutes
>> one month I'd pay $35, and if I were to use 1000 the following
>> month I'd pay $87.50, and then if I were to use 20 minutes
>> again the following month it would be $35 again?
>
>Exactly.
>
>> And that to either of these I can add Vision for $15/month?
>
>Yes.
>
>> What if I keep my current 2G phone, and buy a 3G phone
>> as an add-a-phone. That'll be what I'm paying now,
>> plus $20 more a month for the add-a-phone,
>> plus I guess $15 for the Vision for the 3G phone?
>
>You would have to change the plan on the primary account to a current
>service plan, like the Fair and Flexible plans you referred to, to
>add-a-phone to.

Ok.

>I'd suggest that you take advantage of the news plans that now give more
>minutes than your old plan, and add vision to it. Example, you say your
>current plan is $49.99/500mins + $10/1500 nts/wknds + $10/wrls web = $69.99.

I think I get $10 credit for the yearly plan, so $59.99 and...

>A better plan would be $40/500mins/unlmtd nights/wknds + $15/vision = $55.

$55 come fairly equal, and neither being much to worry about either way
(I can pay that much for lunch.)

>Since you're in the market for a 3G phone anyway, you can check to see if
>you qualify for a handset upgrade rebate http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com

Can't hurt, thanks. I suspect I'll end up with the 3G and the
per MB rate plan at some point, if I use it like my original 2G WW use,
since that potential still hold. I'll guess about 1/2Meg email/day +
text-based newsgroup reading (let's say each message displays as 2K,
then 100+ message) could add it seems at least 1/4 meg more, a day...
For say a week even few months. Or is that not considered abuse of
the Vision web access?
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 18, 2004 5:18:01 AM

On 5/17/04 7:13 PM, in article c8bgub$dgt$1@panix1.panix.com, "Greg Comeau"
<comeau@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <BCCEBB29.414%DavyDE@NYC.com>, DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.com> wrote:
>> On 5/17/04 3:43 PM, in article c8b4kl$eos$1@panix1.panix.com, "Greg Comeau"
>> <comeau@panix.com> wrote:
>>> My current plan is $49.99 for 500 anytime minutes,
>>> plus $10/month for 1500 night and weekend minutes
>>> (which I think they refund due to yearly service agreement),
>>> plus $10/month for wireless web, with free LD tossed in
>>> somewhere.
>>>
>>> Am I reading it right that with the Free & Clear plan
>>> they are offering the same thing (actually better since
>>> night and weekends are unlimited) for $40? (And that if
>>> I go over I pay $0.30??? per minute.)
>>
>> If you go over anytime minutes, it's $.40 per minute.
>>
>>> Am I also reading the Fair and Flexible Plan right that
>>> if I go for that that if I were to use say 20 minutes
>>> one month I'd pay $35, and if I were to use 1000 the following
>>> month I'd pay $87.50, and then if I were to use 20 minutes
>>> again the following month it would be $35 again?
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>>> And that to either of these I can add Vision for $15/month?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> What if I keep my current 2G phone, and buy a 3G phone
>>> as an add-a-phone. That'll be what I'm paying now,
>>> plus $20 more a month for the add-a-phone,
>>> plus I guess $15 for the Vision for the 3G phone?
>>
>> You would have to change the plan on the primary account to a current
>> service plan, like the Fair and Flexible plans you referred to, to
>> add-a-phone to.
>
> Ok.
>
>> I'd suggest that you take advantage of the news plans that now give more
>> minutes than your old plan, and add vision to it. Example, you say your
>> current plan is $49.99/500mins + $10/1500 nts/wknds + $10/wrls web = $69.99.
>
> I think I get $10 credit for the yearly plan, so $59.99 and...
>
>> A better plan would be $40/500mins/unlmtd nights/wknds + $15/vision = $55.
>
> $55 come fairly equal, and neither being much to worry about either way
> (I can pay that much for lunch.)
>
>> Since you're in the market for a 3G phone anyway, you can check to see if
>> you qualify for a handset upgrade rebate http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com
>
> Can't hurt, thanks. I suspect I'll end up with the 3G and the
> per MB rate plan at some point, if I use it like my original 2G WW use,
> since that potential still hold. I'll guess about 1/2Meg email/day +
> text-based newsgroup reading (let's say each message displays as 2K,
> then 100+ message) could add it seems at least 1/4 meg more, a day...
> For say a week even few months. Or is that not considered abuse of
> the Vision web access?

Sounds like minimal use to me.

http://davidosa1.spymac.net/blog/
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:07:21 PM

In article <BCCEDC88.5C9%DavyDE@NYC.com>, DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.com>
wrote:

> > Can't hurt, thanks. I suspect I'll end up with the 3G and the
> > per MB rate plan at some point, if I use it like my original 2G WW use,
> > since that potential still hold. I'll guess about 1/2Meg email/day +
> > text-based newsgroup reading (let's say each message displays as 2K,
> > then 100+ message) could add it seems at least 1/4 meg more, a day...
> > For say a week even few months. Or is that not considered abuse of
> > the Vision web access?
>
> Sounds like minimal use to me.

The thing that seems contradictory to some of us here is the TOS says no
use is allowed, but it's only enforced for gigabytes of useage, and the
PC card (which is allowed) pricing is so high, it drives consumers to
using the cell phone as a modem.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:07:22 PM

In article <rmarkoff-77145E.07072018052004@news06.east.earthlink.net>,
Robert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <BCCEDC88.5C9%DavyDE@NYC.com>, DavyDE <DavyDE@NYC.com>
>wrote:
>> > Can't hurt, thanks. I suspect I'll end up with the 3G and the
>> > per MB rate plan at some point, if I use it like my original 2G WW use,
>> > since that potential still hold. I'll guess about 1/2Meg email/day +
>> > text-based newsgroup reading (let's say each message displays as 2K,
>> > then 100+ message) could add it seems at least 1/4 meg more, a day...
>> > For say a week even few months. Or is that not considered abuse of
>> > the Vision web access?
>>
>> Sounds like minimal use to me.
>
>The thing that seems contradictory to some of us here is the TOS says no
>use is allowed, but it's only enforced for gigabytes of useage, and the
>PC card (which is allowed) pricing is so high, it drives consumers to
>using the cell phone as a modem.

Right, I pretty much just posted that in another thread.
It's obviously technically possible, and it obviously doesn't
cost the rates they seem to be seeking or they would ask
for the fee from people who use it. Or is the issue that
they have no way of knowing which way you are doing it,
and high use just seems "impossible" for handheld users?
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 18, 2004 5:28:19 PM

In article <c8d1nb$30b$1@panix2.panix.com>,
comeau@panix.com (Greg Comeau) wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-77145E.07072018052004@news06.east.earthlink.net>,
> Robert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sounds like minimal use to me.
> >
> >The thing that seems contradictory to some of us here is the TOS says no
> >use is allowed, but it's only enforced for gigabytes of useage, and the
> >PC card (which is allowed) pricing is so high, it drives consumers to
> >using the cell phone as a modem.
>
> Right, I pretty much just posted that in another thread.
> It's obviously technically possible, and it obviously doesn't
> cost the rates they seem to be seeking or they would ask
> for the fee from people who use it. Or is the issue that
> they have no way of knowing which way you are doing it,

That has been my suspicion although at least one Sprint PCS employee
says otherwise, but I retain my belief. Certainly they can put sniffers
on the line, but that monitoring gets very expensive very quick, and
they'd never do it for everyone. So possibly usage gets over 5 Gigs a
month they check it out???

> and high use just seems "impossible" for handheld users?
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:34:32 PM

> In article <rmarkoff-77145E.07072018052004@news06.east.earthlink.net>,
> Robert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sounds like minimal use to me.
> >
> >The thing that seems contradictory to some of us here is the TOS says no
> >use is allowed, but it's only enforced for gigabytes of useage, and the
> >PC card (which is allowed) pricing is so high, it drives consumers to
> >using the cell phone as a modem.
>
> Right, I pretty much just posted that in another thread.
> It's obviously technically possible, and it obviously doesn't
> cost the rates they seem to be seeking or they would ask
> for the fee from people who use it. Or is the issue that
> they have no way of knowing which way you are doing it,
> and high use just seems "impossible" for handheld users?

I use it at work during my night shift. I don't like to tie up the phone
line at work, so to keep me company i use my cell phone on my laptop. It's
not just a ''technical possibility'', its what it is. Ever since vision
launched its been one of the ''perks'' that's i've clearly been enjoying.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:44:35 PM

In article <c8bgub$dgt$1@panix1.panix.com>,
comeau@panix.com (Greg Comeau) wrote:

> $55 come fairly equal, and neither being much to worry about either way
> (I can pay that much for lunch.)
>
> >Since you're in the market for a 3G phone anyway, you can check to see if
> >you qualify for a handset upgrade rebate http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com
>
> Can't hurt, thanks. I suspect I'll end up with the 3G and the
> per MB rate plan at some point,

Or perhaps ask for a "Retention Plan" of 750 minutes for $40 + $15
Vision at $55
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 10:17:36 AM

In article <rmarkoff-77145E.07072018052004
@news06.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> The thing that seems contradictory to some of us here is the TOS says no
> use is allowed, but it's only enforced for gigabytes of useage, and the
> PC card (which is allowed) pricing is so high, it drives consumers to
> using the cell phone as a modem.

Nobody said it's only enforced for gigabyte use, Phill. You're
drawing too much from what has been said. Since I was the one who
said it, I can tell you with certainty that I did not say only
gigabyte users are getting enforced. I said they are the ones that
I've heard from so far.

But I agree with the latter part.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <c8d1nb$30b$1@panix2.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...
> Or is the issue that
> they have no way of knowing which way you are doing it,
> and high use just seems "impossible" for handheld users?

No, we can tell. When I look at a user who's been willing to admit
it, I can see their tethered usage showing up in our system labelled
differently. I refuse to discuss how so, but it *is* apparent.

I have a suspicion there's some technical issue involved that I
haven't yet discovered.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <32755d2da21e7423b83a12b3c6d8a42b@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>In article <rmarkoff-77145E.07072018052004
>@news06.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
>>=20
>> The thing that seems contradictory to some of us here is the TOS says no=
>=20
>> use is allowed, but it's only enforced for gigabytes of useage, and the=
>=20
>> PC card (which is allowed) pricing is so high, it drives consumers to=20
>> using the cell phone as a modem.
>>=20
>
>Nobody said it's only enforced for gigabyte use, Phill. You're=20
>drawing too much from what has been said. Since I was the one who=20
>said it, I can tell you with certainty that I did not say only=20
>gigabyte users are getting enforced. I said they are the ones that=20
>I've heard from so far.
>
>But I agree with the latter part.
>
>--=20
>R=D8=DF
>O/Siris
>I work for Sprint PCS
>I *don't* speak for them

I realize this may have nothing to do with your work at Sprint,
and this is easy for me to say, but it's still worth tossing out
that it seems you are in a unique position to inform them about this.
(I've complained about WW and will complain about this too now
that I understand it.)
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 19, 2004 7:25:03 PM

> In article <32755d2da21e7423b83a12b3c6d8a42b@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> >Nobody said it's only enforced for gigabyte use, Phill. You're=20
> >drawing too much from what has been said. Since I was the one who=20
> >said it, I can tell you with certainty that I did not say only=20
> >gigabyte users are getting enforced. I said they are the ones that=20
> >I've heard from so far.

You're arguing with yourself.

SprintPCS allows cellphone as modem usage in that no one is stopped from
doing it unless they "abuse" it.

It's the wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy. It's against the TOS, but don't
abuse it, and check with Sanyo for a cable and dial #777.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:35:18 PM

In article <c8fn32$duq$1@panix2.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...
> I realize this may have nothing to do with your work at Sprint,
> and this is easy for me to say, but it's still worth tossing out
> that it seems you are in a unique position to inform them about this.
> (I've complained about WW and will complain about this too now
> that I understand it.)

I've made the comments, Greg. That's how I know what it is I know.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-766AE8.10250319052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> It's the wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy. It's against the TOS, but don't
> abuse it, and check with Sanyo for a cable and dial #777.

I notice you're still pathologically incapable of discussion. It's
not healthy, Phill. You should seek help.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Ok, so I got a Samsung VI600 (apparently an SPHA660/512).
And after some confusion, the FutureDial cable for it.
And the SnapDial/SnapSync Combo. Took a while for
Futuredial to get things straight for me due to reoccuring
serial number nonsense and upgrades. Anyway, I've been able
to transfer my phone list (minus fax number, which is
ridiculous). I've also been able to do a network connection
and that seems to work, being able to go to some sites in a
browswer as well as pick up email, albeit slow and jerky,
but I'll take it (it also seem to want to keep reconnecting
in some way, anyway, so be it). I'm left with two sets of issues:

1) I'm still having problem getting SnapDial to work at all due
to serial number nonsense too. Is it worth my even bothering?
What do it do better than the network connection?

2) Is there any way to enhance the network connection?
In other words, what about speed info? Flow control?
error control? Modem compression? I'm assuming to
firewall or not is as normal.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 21, 2004 7:12:31 PM

> Ok, so I got a Samsung VI600 (apparently an SPHA660/512).
> And after some confusion, the FutureDial cable for it.
> And the SnapDial/SnapSync Combo. Took a while for
> Futuredial to get things straight for me due to reoccuring
> serial number nonsense and upgrades. Anyway, I've been able
> to transfer my phone list (minus fax number, which is
> ridiculous). I've also been able to do a network connection
> and that seems to work, being able to go to some sites in a
> browswer as well as pick up email, albeit slow and jerky,
> but I'll take it (it also seem to want to keep reconnecting
> in some way, anyway, so be it). I'm left with two sets of issues:
>
> 1) I'm still having problem getting SnapDial to work at all due
> to serial number nonsense too. Is it worth my even bothering?
> What do it do better than the network connection?

I'm guess here that you meant to say "What does it do better ..." If that's
the case, then nothing. You can set up your own DUN, per the instructions I
gave out a couple of days ago.

> 2) Is there any way to enhance the network connection?
> In other words, what about speed info? Flow control?
> error control? Modem compression? I'm assuming to
> firewall or not is as normal.

Your firewall shouldn't affect the speed. I have Zone Alarm Pro installed
and it doesn't affect my up and D/L speeds. As for the speeds, what are you
seeing? Have you tried doing a speed test through dslreports.com?

Most, if not all of us (save for Phillipe) are getting 50-80 kbps D/L speeds
with bursts up to 120k on occasion.

Bob
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 2:49:43 PM

In article <z%orc.3630$Tn6.1169@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
>> 2) Is there any way to enhance the network connection?
>> In other words, what about speed info? Flow control?
>> error control? Modem compression? I'm assuming to
>> firewall or not is as normal.
>
>Your firewall shouldn't affect the speed. I have Zone Alarm Pro installed
>and it doesn't affect my up and D/L speeds.

Ok.

What about compression and any other settings?
Do they even matter or do they just get ignored?

>As for the speeds, what are you
>seeing? Have you tried doing a speed test through dslreports.com?

Dunno, just that I thought it was being said it was better than
a normal landline dialup, maybe I misunderstood. I'm unfamiliar
with dslreport and will check it out, for curiosity, since
it (the speed) is what it is, and certainly much better than nothing.

>Most, if not all of us (save for Phillipe) are getting 50-80 kbps D/L speeds
>with bursts up to 120k on occasion.

Well, playing around with Vision last night, I'm not too impressed,
though indeed it's cute and handy (but so was pre-Vision, though
I'm sure I have not played with all aspects of it yet). It doesn't
seem as sexy as I thought it would be, and many of the browser
requests I made seem to have taken a long time including many even failing.
I'm in NYC though don't see why that should matter.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
May 22, 2004 7:50:21 PM

> In article <z%orc.3630$Tn6.1169@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
> >> 2) Is there any way to enhance the network connection?
> >> In other words, what about speed info? Flow control?
> >> error control? Modem compression? I'm assuming to
> >> firewall or not is as normal.
> >
> >Your firewall shouldn't affect the speed. I have Zone Alarm Pro installed
> >and it doesn't affect my up and D/L speeds.
>
> Ok.
>
> What about compression and any other settings?
> Do they even matter or do they just get ignored?

I'm no expert on what the phone's browser software, phone hardware & Vision
do in the background, but I don't think it matters.

> >As for the speeds, what are you
> >seeing? Have you tried doing a speed test through dslreports.com?
>
> Dunno, just that I thought it was being said it was better than
> a normal landline dialup, maybe I misunderstood. I'm unfamiliar
> with dslreport and will check it out, for curiosity, since
> it (the speed) is what it is, and certainly much better than nothing.

Normal dial up is 53k. As mentioned below, most everyone here who have
posted their speeds have averages 50 to 80k with bursts over 120k on
occasion. This is a great improvement of what WW offered @ 14.4k. When SPCS
steps up to the next level and releases EV-DV, burst speeds will be in the
3Mbps range, with average D/L speeds in the area of 1Mbps to 1.5Mbps.

To get those speeds though, one will need a new phone. What's nice though is
that when EV-DV is released all prior 3G phones will be backwards compatible
to operate on the same system. If you want to learn a bit more on this, you
might check out www.cdg.org .

> >Most, if not all of us (save for Phillipe) are getting 50-80 kbps D/L
speeds
> >with bursts up to 120k on occasion.
>
> Well, playing around with Vision last night, I'm not too impressed,
> though indeed it's cute and handy (but so was pre-Vision, though
> I'm sure I have not played with all aspects of it yet). It doesn't
> seem as sexy as I thought it would be, and many of the browser
> requests I made seem to have taken a long time including many even
failing.
> I'm in NYC though don't see why that should matter.

No, it shouldn't, but could ... because of the density of users working off
a tower near you.

Bob
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 8:48:34 PM

In article <1FKrc.5162$Tn6.3062@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <z%orc.3630$Tn6.1169@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> >"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> >Your firewall shouldn't affect the speed. I have Zone Alarm Pro installed
>> >and it doesn't affect my up and D/L speeds.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>> What about compression and any other settings?
>> Do they even matter or do they just get ignored?
>
>I'm no expert on what the phone's browser software, phone hardware & Vision
>do in the background, but I don't think it matters.
>>
>> >As for the speeds, what are you
>> >seeing? Have you tried doing a speed test through dslreports.com?
>>
>> Dunno, just that I thought it was being said it was better than
>> a normal landline dialup, maybe I misunderstood. I'm unfamiliar
>> with dslreport and will check it out, for curiosity, since
>> it (the speed) is what it is, and certainly much better than nothing.
>>
>Normal dial up is 53k. As mentioned below, most everyone here who have
>posted their speeds have averages 50 to 80k with bursts over 120k on
>occasion. This is a great improvement of what WW offered @ 14.4k. When SPCS
>steps up to the next level and releases EV-DV, burst speeds will be in the
>3Mbps range, with average D/L speeds in the area of 1Mbps to 1.5Mbps.

I seem to be geting 31/35 it seems. Part of that seems to be
it Pkt Aborting and Calling back in.

>To get those speeds though, one will need a new phone. What's nice though is
>that when EV-DV is released all prior 3G phones will be backwards compatible
>to operate on the same system. If you want to learn a bit more on this, you
>might check out www.cdg.org .

Sounds cool.

>> >Most, if not all of us (save for Phillipe) are getting 50-80 kbps D/L
>speeds
>> >with bursts up to 120k on occasion.
>>
>> Well, playing around with Vision last night, I'm not too impressed,
>> though indeed it's cute and handy (but so was pre-Vision, though
>> I'm sure I have not played with all aspects of it yet). It doesn't
>> seem as sexy as I thought it would be, and many of the browser
>> requests I made seem to have taken a long time including many even
>failing.
>> I'm in NYC though don't see why that should matter.
>
>No, it shouldn't, but could ... because of the density of users working off
>a tower near you.

Lovely.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support