10 hour demo for Guildwars

For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
client and play for 10 hours:

http://buy.ati.com/myprofile/gw_index.asp

I've got GW so I've not tried this offer, but I'm guessing you don't
actually need an ATI graphics card to take advantage of this offer.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Quoth The Raven: Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> in
1unii1h2qd42ip4f1792n9f6g5nftoorn1@4ax.com
> For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
> Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
> client and play for 10 hours:
>
> http://buy.ati.com/myprofile/gw_index.asp
>
> I've got GW so I've not tried this offer, but I'm guessing you don't
> actually need an ATI graphics card to take advantage of this offer.

how do they limit it timewise? they might have just limit an account to
pre-searing with no "go to war" quest.

--
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk ?

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Quoth The Raven: Highlandish <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> in
43296286$0$18646$14726298@news.sunsite.dk
> Quoth The Raven: Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> in
> 1unii1h2qd42ip4f1792n9f6g5nftoorn1@4ax.com
>> For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
>> Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
>> client and play for 10 hours:
>>
>> http://buy.ati.com/myprofile/gw_index.asp
>>
>> I've got GW so I've not tried this offer, but I'm guessing you don't
>> actually need an ATI graphics card to take advantage of this offer.
>
> how do they limit it timewise? they might have just limit an account
> to pre-searing with no "go to war" quest

+++++++++++++++++
Who is eligible for this offer?

Customers who purchased a qualifying Radeon Technology Graphics Card
with the Guild Wars Free Trial promotional offer (i.e. Customers who
received a Guild Wars coupon included with their purchase.)
++++++++++++++

when you register the coupon, you are given an activation code, that
code is time limited to 10 hours over 14 days, must be activated before
30th November

--
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

nostromo

Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Thu, 15 Sep 2005
22:08:01 +1000, Anno Domini:

>Quoth The Raven: Highlandish <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> in
>43296286$0$18646$14726298@news.sunsite.dk
>> Quoth The Raven: Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> in
>> 1unii1h2qd42ip4f1792n9f6g5nftoorn1@4ax.com
>>> For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
>>> Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
>>> client and play for 10 hours:
>>>
>>> http://buy.ati.com/myprofile/gw_index.asp
>>>
>>> I've got GW so I've not tried this offer, but I'm guessing you don't
>>> actually need an ATI graphics card to take advantage of this offer.
>>
>> how do they limit it timewise? they might have just limit an account
>> to pre-searing with no "go to war" quest
>
>+++++++++++++++++
>Who is eligible for this offer?
>
>Customers who purchased a qualifying Radeon Technology Graphics Card
>with the Guild Wars Free Trial promotional offer (i.e. Customers who
>received a Guild Wars coupon included with their purchase.)
>++++++++++++++
>
>when you register the coupon, you are given an activation code, that
>code is time limited to 10 hours over 14 days, must be activated before
>30th November

Go ATI! And for a mmorpg with no mthly fee they're STILL giving a trial demo
out. Read em & weep other pay-per-mth mmogs with no demo :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

> http://buy.ati.com/myprofile/gw_index.asp

So... anyone tried the 10 hour demo?

I'm curious if/how it works...

--

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
> Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
> client and play for 10 hours:

I've got Guild Wars, and my Ele/Mesmer is (just) L7, and I'm running out
of quests. Is there anything I should make sure I do, before I trigger
the next phase? (Any skills only available here, that sort of thing)

Cheers,
Grant

Thusly Grant Anderson <gpsanderson@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>> For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
>> Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
>> client and play for 10 hours:
>
>I've got Guild Wars, and my Ele/Mesmer is (just) L7, and I'm running out
>of quests. Is there anything I should make sure I do, before I trigger
>the next phase? (Any skills only available here, that sort of thing)

No, around 7-8 is a good time to go to the war, and by the sound of it
you're pretty much done in pre-searing. You'll find a skill trainer
who sells (cheaply... at least at first) any skills you may have
missed, in the town you come to after leaving pre-searing.

One can go much earlier too, I've even seen lvl 1's go through, but
they will of course have to rely more on their teammates before
levelling up.

--

Quoth The Raven: Grant Anderson <gpsanderson@hotmail.com> in
f4wXe.12997$iM2.1094698@news.xtra.co.nz
> Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>> For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
>> Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
>> client and play for 10 hours:
>
> I've got Guild Wars, and my Ele/Mesmer is (just) L7, and I'm running
> out of quests. Is there anything I should make sure I do, before I
> trigger the next phase? (Any skills only available here, that sort
> of thing)
> Cheers,
> Grant

I was feeling the same at lv7, but I continued to explore, treasure hunt
and exterminate the entire map before I hit lv8, then I went over by
myself, passed the test of killing players more than I die and made it
to post searing. really, once over stay a while in old ascalon with the
healer henchman and farm slowly, you'll die a hundred times but get your
money up, they're cut throats when trading, sell only bad weapons and
keep crafting and salvageable items for upgrades, once you get to the
sanitarium (old Ashford abbey), upgrade purchased holding bags (from
ascalon) with a $400 space doubler, be sure to have at least 2 ascalon
keys for treasure chests (where you are no keys are required but will be
afterwards)

tyrdis will offer a defend the north wall quest, 3 henchmen will do it
instead of live partners, and as easy as 3 makes things, you wont earn
money this way as you split it between them, so don't use them too much.

hope that helps. get post searing as soon as possible though, there's a
lot more to be had on the other side, and far less damned dancing
noobies

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Grant Anderson <gpsanderson@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>> For those who'd like to have a look at (the pre-searing PvE part of)
>> Guildwars, ATI is running a promotion where you can download the GW
>> client and play for 10 hours:
>
>I've got Guild Wars, and my Ele/Mesmer is (just) L7, and I'm running out
>of quests. Is there anything I should make sure I do, before I trigger
>the next phase? (Any skills only available here, that sort of thing)

Sounds like you're at the right point to go to war.

You'll only be missing one skill, and you won't be able to get it
pre-sear anyway (it's the one in your secondary profession you would
have got if it had been your primary - IE flare for elementalists), but
you can buy it from Sir Bertram in Ascalon immediately post-sear.

Be warned, post sear is somewhat tougher since damn near everything is
hostile to you regardless of level, unlike pre-sear.

It can really help to keep the minimap (u) open, since unlike the
compass it shows some details, and the landscape post-sear can be a bit
odd in places.

Xocyll

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

> One can go much earlier too, I've even seen lvl 1's go through, but
> they will of course have to rely more on their teammates before
> levelling up.

Are you certain? I thought there was a limit on level 3 before they
would let you enter the academy.

The war must be going bad if they have started accepting level 1 and
2's into the army...

The Ascalon area is designed so you can (barely) stay alive at level
3. It is actually slightly boring if you wait till level 7 or 8...

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> One can go much earlier too, I've even seen lvl 1's go through, but
>> they will of course have to rely more on their teammates before
>> levelling up.
>
>Are you certain? I thought there was a limit on level 3 before they
>would let you enter the academy.

Well the character I rerolled ended up doing the "go to war" mission
with a level 2 yesterday. Needless to say he was completely useless in
the forced pvp bit.

He of course was going to be run ahead by his guild mates.

>The war must be going bad if they have started accepting level 1 and
>2's into the army...
>
>The Ascalon area is designed so you can (barely) stay alive at level
>3. It is actually slightly boring if you wait till level 7 or 8...

Actually, if you do every quest possible in the pre-sear area, you'll
end up at about level 7.
If you already know where everything is and streamline the process (like
having little Thom's cloak before you head out to barradin's so you can
do all the quests in the area at once), you might finish under, but
close to level 7.
If you don't group quests, you're pretty likely to end up level 8, since
you'll be killing more critters.

I still haven't been north of the wall, since it requires two people,
but I have seen people level 12 and higher still in pre-sear.

Xocyll

Thusly Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> Spake Unto All:

>> One can go much earlier too, I've even seen lvl 1's go through, but
>> they will of course have to rely more on their teammates before
>> levelling up.
>
>Are you certain? I thought there was a limit on level 3 before they
>would let you enter the academy.

There was, but that restriction has been removed. Coupled with the
ubiquitous taxi services, that means you can now see very low-level
players pretty much everywhere in the game (and usually they have no
clue where they are, what they're doing, or why).

>The war must be going bad if they have started accepting level 1 and
>2's into the army...

Me, I blame the Ascalon leadership. Quite obviously nitwits the lot of
them. (Although I do apologize for leading the charr army to the one
breach in the great Wall. My bad.)

>The Ascalon area is designed so you can (barely) stay alive at level
>3. It is actually slightly boring if you wait till level 7 or 8...

This is true, at least for the immediate surroundings of Ascalon or
slightly further afield if you have good & trusty teammates, but the
difficulty ramps up quite fast, and there's content in Pre-Searing to
last to about level 7 - 8.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

The theoretical limit in pre-sear, IIRC, is 16, attainable by farming
the charr north of the wall.