CoH: Did they really nerf AoE attacks?

I considered going back despite my best judgement, however I
heard that they nerfed AoE attacks to have a limit on how many
mobs get hit by it. Is this true? I can't find specific mention
of it in their update notes.
16 answers Last reply
More about nerf attacks

    I5 is the best thing that has ever happened in CoH since, well, since
    release. Has made the game much more fun and exciting. The new
    mission types are quite fun and different than what we're used to. The
    new powersets are cool too.

    shadows wrote:
    > I considered going back despite my best judgement, however I
    > heard that they nerfed AoE attacks to have a limit on how many
    > mobs get hit by it. Is this true? I can't find specific mention
    > of it in their update notes.

    It's true.

    I have to say, though, that if you're soloing, 16 is more than enough to
    hit everything you're fighting (heck, so are 10 and probably 5). By the
    time spawn sizes are large enough that your AoEs can't hit everything,
    you -shouldn't- be handling them all yourself anyway.

    Despite all the fuss people kicked up, I quite liked Issue 5. I got
    through 45-50 faster than I did 40-45 pre-I5, doing just the same
    things. I'm now trying out a Peacebringer - got my Nova form last night
    and am favourably impressed.

    Also, more City of Villains information has been coming out recently.
    It looks rather good.

    Cheers,
    Grant

    From the update notes (http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/updates.html):
    Set a maximum number of targets that can be affected by most offensive
    powers:
    Ranged AoE and Large PBAoE damage powers (like Nova), Ranged AoE and
    PBAoE Debuffs, Ranged AoE and PBAoE Controls powers are all set to 16.
    Ranged cones, and Melee AoE (PBAoE) are set to 10.
    Melee Cones are set to 5.
    Taunts (including Tanker inherent Taunt - Gauntlet, aka 'PunchVoke') are
    set to 5.
    Buffs are unaffected.

    create a new toon inVirtue or Freedom

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > In addition, they have started adding in combination attacks. With the Oil
    > Slick power from the Trick Arrow set, if you hit the oil slick with a fire-
    > based power, you can light it on fire, causing fire damage to the mobs. CoV
    > will be coming out with more of that, and Geko has said that he wants to
    > include more of that to CoH as well.

    This sounds very tasty. If there are enough powers that can have
    secondary effects depending on what other powers are in play, it could
    really add to the depth of strategies depending on who you've got in
    your team. I might resub if they keep adding stuff like this.

    Knight37

    As long as the enemy has these same tricks I'm all for it. I think
    heroes are way too powerful already, no need to give them even more
    power :)

    On 2005-09-16, wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > As long as the enemy has these same tricks I'm all for it. I think
    > heroes are way too powerful already, no need to give them even more
    > power :)

    That's what makes them heroic.

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
    : I considered going back despite my best judgement, however I
    : heard that they nerfed AoE attacks to have a limit on how many
    : mobs get hit by it. Is this true? I can't find specific mention
    : of it in their update notes.

    AOEs got nerfed and some ATs, noticably Blasters and Trollers got
    some buffing. Some AT, Tanks and Scraps, got a proctological exam
    with the rusty barbed wire end of the nerfbat. Defs, depending on
    power choices and build, either came out uscathed or plughed.

    On 2005-09-16, Hippie Ramone <kdeacon@scrye.com> wrote:
    > shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
    >: I considered going back despite my best judgement, however I
    >: heard that they nerfed AoE attacks to have a limit on how many
    >: mobs get hit by it. Is this true? I can't find specific mention
    >: of it in their update notes.
    >
    > AOEs got nerfed and some ATs, noticably Blasters and Trollers got
    > some buffing. Some AT, Tanks and Scraps, got a proctological exam
    > with the rusty barbed wire end of the nerfbat. Defs, depending on
    > power choices and build, either came out uscathed or plughed.

    I resubbed after spending a month not playing an MMO and
    realizing my life is empty unless I have something to level
    on. The last time I was on CoH I unsubbed the very same evening I
    had gone back. It just felt dull.

    I resubbed deciding that this time I would give the game a
    chance. The missions have improved somewhat but little else has.

    As for I5: I found the Blaster "Defiance" trait to be quite
    useless. After your health goes under 50% you start getting
    bonuses to damage output. It's not very noticeable until you're
    at 5% health where you get 400% bonus (or x 4). You only have one
    shot when you're health is that low.

    I'm going to give it a chance anyway and keep trucking. I did
    notice that on the Infinity server the population is quite low.

    wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    : I5 is the best thing that has ever happened in CoH since, well, since
    : release. Has made the game much more fun and exciting. The new
    : mission types are quite fun and different than what we're used to. The
    : new powersets are cool too.

    I personally think I5 was horribly misguided and way over the top on
    nerfage where the nerfage occured. I haven't yet been to Croatoa and
    I'm not really planning on going there unless there is some badge farming
    to be had, like Striga was a good place to get the Vampire and Werewolf
    badges fairly easily.

    I've mostly been playing a new grav/rad troller toon instead of my L28+ toons
    because of the nerfage. I have got to say that the "escort" missions are
    reallly really freakin annoying and only serve the purpose of making door
    missions take longer. /rude Cryptic.

    All in all I've got to say that I5 has made me play EQ more again.

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in

    > I considered going back despite my best judgement, however I
    > heard that they nerfed AoE attacks to have a limit on how many
    > mobs get hit by it. Is this true? I can't find specific mention
    > of it in their update notes.

    Like others have said, both cone and AoE attacks have been reduced to a
    limit on what they can hit. (5 and 16, respectively IIRC)

    In all practicality, this has no effect on anyone except for those who herd
    entire missions.

    AT-wise, it all depends on who you talk to. The official forums were pretty
    balanced between those who think that tankers/scrappers got hosed and those
    who say their tankers/scrappers can do exactly the same as before.

    I think that it all comes down to your PoV. I5 appears, IMO, to be bring
    CoH away from a mindless clickfest (power 1, power 2, power 3, repeat, and
    add in power 4 when it recharges) to something that requires a bit more
    strategy.

    In addition, they have started adding in combination attacks. With the Oil
    Slick power from the Trick Arrow set, if you hit the oil slick with a fire-
    based power, you can light it on fire, causing fire damage to the mobs. CoV
    will be coming out with more of that, and Geko has said that he wants to
    include more of that to CoH as well.

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-09-16, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:

    > Like others have said, both cone and AoE attacks have been reduced to a
    > limit on what they can hit. (5 and 16, respectively IIRC)

    I haven't been affected by it yet but I only got my fire/fire
    blaster to level 10 yesterday night. I deleted all my old high
    level characters to get a fresh start.

    > In all practicality, this has no effect on anyone except for those who herd
    > entire missions.

    I used to herd sometimes when I was bored. A friend would SS
    through and I'd firebreath/fireblast and to be honest it was
    hilarious to watch. Granted that it's a quasi cheat but not a
    real cheat since I'm still operating within the game mechanics, I
    think the AoE nerf is typical of the CoH dev mindset. They should
    have made their mobs smarter.

    I believe WoW made it so training wasn't possible at all because
    mobs would run back and regen all their health if you ran away
    too far.

    > In addition, they have started adding in combination attacks. With the Oil
    > Slick power from the Trick Arrow set, if you hit the oil slick with a fire-
    > based power, you can light it on fire, causing fire damage to the mobs. CoV
    > will be coming out with more of that, and Geko has said that he wants to
    > include more of that to CoH as well.

    This is good news. The question is how soon will we see this
    happen on a large scale in CoH. They've averaged an update once
    every two months and most of the "content" consists of nerf bats
    being swung.

    Maybe I just like to bitch :)
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in

    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >> In addition, they have started adding in combination attacks. With
    >> the Oil Slick power from the Trick Arrow set, if you hit the oil
    >> slick with a fire- based power, you can light it on fire, causing
    >> fire damage to the mobs. CoV will be coming out with more of that,
    >> and Geko has said that he wants to include more of that to CoH as
    >> well.
    >
    > This sounds very tasty. If there are enough powers that can have
    > secondary effects depending on what other powers are in play, it could
    > really add to the depth of strategies depending on who you've got in
    > your team. I might resub if they keep adding stuff like this.

    So far, this is the only such combination in the game. They are supposed
    to be adding more with the CoV ATs.(IIRC) Geko has mentioned some cool
    ones he would like to add:

    *****
    4. Will it be possible one day to create a power combo with some other
    AT? For example, a Blaster + a Controller creating a big energy blast
    which can knock back more enemies..

    I think you may start seeing more things like Trick Arrow/Oil Slick. This
    power drops an oil slick on the ground that causes enemies to slip and
    fall, but the Oil Slick can be targeted by you and your allies. If hit by
    a fire power, the Oil will ignite on fire, causing damage to foes trapped
    inside. I think you may see more powers in the future that will take
    advantage of tricks like this. Maybe something like a water power - if it
    is hit with an electrical attack, it electrocutes all foes inside, but if
    it is hit with a cold attack, all foes freeze, but it its hit with a fire
    attack, a steamy Mist will form.
    *****

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Hippie Ramone wrote:
    > shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
    > : I considered going back despite my best judgement, however I
    > : heard that they nerfed AoE attacks to have a limit on how many
    > : mobs get hit by it. Is this true? I can't find specific mention
    > : of it in their update notes.
    >
    > AOEs got nerfed and some ATs, noticably Blasters and Trollers got
    > some buffing. Some AT, Tanks and Scraps, got a proctological exam
    > with the rusty barbed wire end of the nerfbat. Defs, depending on
    > power choices and build, either came out uscathed or plughed.

    Well, Controllers got Containment, which gives them double damage
    against Held things - just them, though, not pets/teammates.

    However, AoE holds had their duration halved and their recharge doubled.
    Also, pets got limited to one out at a time (or 3 Phantoms/Fire Imps).

    So it was swings and roundabouts for us Controllers. Most Controllers
    opted for saying Doooom. I found that I actually leveled faster after
    I5 went live, though. My Controller hit 50 a few days back (and I've
    started a Kheldian on Infinity, and just got my first form change power).

    Scrappers got 12.5% (or thereabouts) bonus damage on all attacks.
    Scrappers are/were meant to be melee Blasters - enormous damage, with
    just enough defence to keep them alive while they kill stuff. Not
    almost-Tanker defence with enormous damage. So their defence got
    lowered a bit. Mind you, all defence got lowered, and so did the
    Villains' accuracy. I haven't seen/looked for the numbers yet to see
    how Scrapper/Tanker Defence got lowered relative to enemy accuracy.

    Cheers,
    Grant
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows wrote:

    > This is good news. The question is how soon will we see this
    > happen on a large scale in CoH. They've averaged an update once
    > every two months and most of the "content" consists of nerf bats
    > being swung.

    I Googled to see what happened when.

    Issue 1 raised the level cap to 50. So that must've involved adding at
    least Peregrine Island, the Portal missions and a bunch of
    Arch-villains. Also, the Rikti Crash Site and the Sewer Trial, and
    outdoor instances. Malta, Carnival and changing costumes.

    Issue 2 added the Shadow Shard and the Hollows, and capes and auras.
    Power Respecs, badges, and the Eden and Cavern of Transcendence trials.

    Issue 3: Striga Isle and the Council. (Striga's really well done, have
    you been there yet? I can't remember when you unsubbed). The Octopus
    and Ghost Ship in IP. Kheldians and Ancillary Power Pools.

    Issue 4: The Arena (which I still haven't tried), new costume options,
    minor tweaks. Probably the least interesting update for me.

    Issue 5: Croatoa. Archery, Trick Arrows, Sonic Blast and Sonic
    Resonance. Hellions setting fire to buildings, Trolls getting drugged
    up in Skyway, new mission types (wave attacks, escorting, etc.)

    Apart from Issue 4, I think they were pretty solid. And I guess Issue 4
    was the most interesting for people who like PvP :-) To each their own.

    Cheers,
    Grant
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com>, 16 Sep 2005 11:28:57 -0700,
    Anno Domini:

    >Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >> In addition, they have started adding in combination attacks. With the Oil
    >> Slick power from the Trick Arrow set, if you hit the oil slick with a fire-
    >> based power, you can light it on fire, causing fire damage to the mobs. CoV
    >> will be coming out with more of that, and Geko has said that he wants to
    >> include more of that to CoH as well.
    >
    >This sounds very tasty. If there are enough powers that can have
    >secondary effects depending on what other powers are in play, it could
    >really add to the depth of strategies depending on who you've got in
    >your team. I might resub if they keep adding stuff like this.
    >
    >Knight37

    Ditto ;)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows wrote:
    > On 2005-09-16, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Like others have said, both cone and AoE attacks have been reduced to a
    > > limit on what they can hit. (5 and 16, respectively IIRC)
    >
    > I haven't been affected by it yet but I only got my fire/fire
    > blaster to level 10 yesterday night. I deleted all my old high
    > level characters to get a fresh start.
    >
    > > In all practicality, this has no effect on anyone except for those who herd
    > > entire missions.
    >
    > I used to herd sometimes when I was bored. A friend would SS
    > through and I'd firebreath/fireblast and to be honest it was
    > hilarious to watch. Granted that it's a quasi cheat but not a
    > real cheat since I'm still operating within the game mechanics, I
    > think the AoE nerf is typical of the CoH dev mindset. They should
    > have made their mobs smarter.

    Well that is an 'ok' herd. The problem with herding was when a tanker
    would aggro the whole mission, and since they were untouchable, really
    let's face it, they could just come back to his teammates and spam
    provoke on the mobs, so the blasters and scrappers could dispose of 60+
    mobs in seconds without any danger. After the update, tankers in my
    group still tried to do the same thing, but when they realized they
    actually *gasped* died when being attacked by 60+ mobs 1-3 levels above
    them (go figure), are now doing it in more reasonable levels, like
    10-20 at a time, and getting to the group with half life or so. And
    with the AoE limits, fights take now more than the 3 seconds they took
    before, so mobs have now more chance to actually attack someone else.
    All in all, these are much more fun fights now.

    > I believe WoW made it so training wasn't possible at all because
    > mobs would run back and regen all their health if you ran away
    > too far.

    I agree they should do the same thing here too. Regen health when
    they're not being attacked.

PC gaming Games IBM RPG Video Games