Addy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Hi, I recently bought 2x256mb rdram PC800 memory. I have 4 memory slots with 4x64mb currently installed so the plan was to removed 2x64 and instal the new ram.

The memory registers and shows a total of 640mb but when I run a game it crashes back to desktop so I took out the old memory altogether and just tried to run it with 512k. My system will not boot up with just the new memory installed.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

PS. I have tried all the different slot combinations with no luck. My system is a p4 1400 and the motherboard is 400mhz.

BoJl4apa

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
If I remember it correctly, when you install 2 RIMMs on a mobo with 4 RIMM slots, you have to "plug" the remaining open slots with... don't remember, special plugs :)
And about the game, do all games act this way, or just one specific game? Is the system stable overall?
I had once a game crash because I had too much RAM, but it was... 3 years ago, so I don't know if it applies...

"Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?"
Miss Mia Wallace.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to have your memory in the first pair of slots and CRIMMS in the second pair if you only want to use one pair of modules. CRIMMS (Continuity RIMMS) are needed in any unused slots to complete the electrical pathway.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Addy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Thanks for your help. I checked all the bits that came with the PC and found a pair of crimms. System runs great and the game that was crashing is now stable.

Odd thing is that I was completing the circuit with a pair of 64mb modules but that was unstable. Anyway the end result is that I now have more ram so thanks again.