Possible explanation why drive failed...

LagMonster

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Okay.... this is what happened...

Up until today... I had been using two drives, a 40GB IBM deskstar and 120GB deskstar on an ASUS CUBX motherboard. The 40GB was the boot drive. Both were connected thru the built in ATA/100 CMD controller. I never had any problems with the 40GB drive, which I've had for a good while now.

Today, I switched to a new motherboard/processor/chipset. An ASUS P4B533-E. Since I had to use the existing case (for now) I used the same harddrives. Except I swapped the 120GB as the boot and the 40GB as a secondary drive.

Well... first I tried connecting the two to the on board Promise RAID controller thinking that I could run it as a standard ATA/133 controller. Unfortunatly, it would create a RAID array regarless of what I did. And I could not boot, either off the promise controller or the SCSI adapter also installed. It would lockup. So I moved the drives to ATA/100 connectors and disabled the onboard RAID controller.

Anyhow, everything was working. I got Windows installed. Both disks were working. I ran several programs off the 40GB drive. No problems. I installed several drivers including one for the SCSI adapterof that drive too. I didn't reboot right away after installing the SCSI drivers. Instead I first ran UT. Worked fine. Then I tried UT2003, when it gave me the error "Invalid CD-Key"... or something simular. It had, as it always does, access the CD-ROM to check for the CD. The CD is connected to the SCSI controller. After getting the error, I double-clicked the CD-Icon. I got an error saying "file not found". I thought that this would probably be a good time to reboot... so I did...

Well, when it was loading Windows, it was locking up in loop as it tried to repeatedly access one of the drives. I assumed it was the 120 and wasn't sure it wasn't going on. After a few minutes I realized that I should reboot again... same thing happened. Tried booting into safe mode, but problem still existed. So I booted of the CD into the recovery console.

Well, in the recovery console, I ran chkdsk on the 120GB. No problems. Then I tried the 40GB. I started accessing the disk in the loop as it had been earlier. After a bit, it said "disk unreadable to unrepairable error" or something very simular. I've tried several things, I can not get the disk to be readible.

So, now that you have all this information, could someone explain a possible cause for why this happened all of the sudden. I find it hard to grasp that the disk is totally dead... it had better not be... I really need to know what caused this error so I don't repeat it...

Oh yeah... technical info...
File System: NTFS (both)
CHIPSET:845E
SCSI Card: Adaptec 19160 (Ultra 160 card/32bit PCI bus)
OVERCLOCKING: Not yet :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Run IBM's DFT utilities and do a diagnosticon the drive.

My safe bet is that the drive has decided to die on you.
IBM drives arn't nicknamed "Deathstars" for nothing.
And yes, they can cheerfully die on you for no particular reason.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LHGPooBaa on 02/20/03 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
What type of IBM drive was it? If it was a 60gxp or a 75gxp, then just write it off as an unreliable drive. They've died on all of us.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>