Need help with Gothic 2...

Hi all,

I am always on the look out for "forgotten" titles that end up in the
bargain bin; I have heard a lot of good things about Gothic2 so when I
saw it used at my local 1/2 price books for $5 I jumped on it. Only
problem is, inside the box all I found were the 3 CDs. Usually this
isnt a problem as I rarely read manuals anyway :D. But I have found
the interface to be, shall we say, less than intuative. I mean I can't
even figure out how to fight back vs. the goblin right outsside the
first building...can anyone offer any help? I checked out the readme
but all I found was something about changing the combat system...

Eek.

tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:
> I am always on the look out for "forgotten" titles that end up in the
> bargain bin; I have heard a lot of good things about Gothic2 so when I
> saw it used at my local 1/2 price books for $5 I jumped on it. Only
> problem is, inside the box all I found were the 3 CDs. Usually this
> isnt a problem as I rarely read manuals anyway :D. But I have found
> the interface to be, shall we say, less than intuative. I mean I can't
> even figure out how to fight back vs. the goblin right outsside the
> first building...can anyone offer any help? I checked out the readme
> but all I found was something about changing the combat system...
>
> Eek.

Someone else already answered, but I just wanted to add that you can
configure the controls from the setup screen and that also acts as a
little "cheat sheet" to show you what keys do what. It's been a while
since I looked at G2 but IIRC you can set it up to play like an FPS
game, using WASD for movement and mouse for looking around/turning,
etc.

Knight37

Thanks guys.

The first thing that struck me is there is no mouse input until you
start playing...is that by design or is something wrong with my
install?

On 16 Sep 2005 06:59:12 -0700, tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:

>Thanks guys.
>
>The first thing that struck me is there is no mouse input until you
>start playing...is that by design or is something wrong with my
>install?

Stupid design choice, and I thought only console ports did this to the
GUI.

Thusly Kevin <no@SPAM.here> Spake Unto All:

>>The first thing that struck me is there is no mouse input until you
>>start playing...is that by design or is something wrong with my
>>install?
>
>Stupid design choice, and I thought only console ports did this to the
>GUI.

Ironically, Gothic2's interface is modelled after the GUI of a console
port: Tomb Raider.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> Ironically, Gothic2's interface is modelled after the GUI of a console
> port: Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider came out for the PC before it came out for Playstation.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
>with:
>
>> Ironically, Gothic2's interface is modelled after the GUI of a console
>> port: Tomb Raider.
>
>Tomb Raider came out for the PC before it came out for Playstation.

Co-produced. All versions '96 AFAI remember.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
>>with:
>>
>>> Ironically, Gothic2's interface is modelled after the GUI of a console
>>> port: Tomb Raider.
>>
>>Tomb Raider came out for the PC before it came out for Playstation.
>
> Co-produced. All versions '96 AFAI remember.

Well there ya go. Not a console port, it was multi-platform. The interface
for the PC wasn't really modeled after a console, since it was all
keyboard.

If it had been console modeled they'd have supported a game pad. :)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Ok I got started, those guides helped a bit. I have the combat set for
Gothic 2 as suggested in one of them and I think I am getting the hang
of how to fight, but I still get my butt kicked all the time. I did
the farmers quest to get the clothes to get into the city but am still
trying to become an apprentice. The requirements for all the masters
seem outrageous for starting out; half of the herbs the Alchemist wants
me to get I cant find and the bowyer (Bosper?) doesnt make any sense to
me, I got his wolf pelts but he still wont take me on as apprentice.
I cant for the life of me find the Orc that the smith wants me to kill.
And even if I did find it I am sure I couldnt beat it; about the only
thing that DOESNT kill me is a lone goblin. Anything else (field
raiders, scavengers, goblins in groups) own me in short order. I am
level 3, all I am able to use is a rusty sword and short bow. I tried
buying some leather armor at the tavern outside of town, but then I
couldnt get back into town even if I put the farmer clothes back on.

Man this game is hard...

Ok, I manged to take down the orc with that hunter guy, Bartoc I think
it is? He took most of the damage.

But I couldnt get back into town, they call me a trouble maker even
with the farmer clothes on (!). so I scrounged around for 100 gold,
barely got it and bribed them to get in. They told me to go talk to
Lord Andre. I spent about an hour going through that city and I cannot
find anyone named Lord Andre. Is he only out at certain times?

I am close to just dropping this game, it looked like it had promise
but just about every "quest" is an excercise in frustration. Maybe if
I ever find this Andre character that will change...

You mean the stairs where the guards are training? I found a guy named
Wulfgar and some guards swinging swords around, that looks like a
barracks to me. I went all around that area trying to find him but no
luck. Is he only out at certain times of the day?

I am pretty sure I talked to all the merchents, I can double check.

Bitstring <1127066974.103846.115320@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person tonij67@hotmail.com said
>Ok, I manged to take down the orc with that hunter guy, Bartoc I think
>it is? He took most of the damage.
>
>But I couldnt get back into town, they call me a trouble maker even
>with the farmer clothes on (!). so I scrounged around for 100 gold,
>barely got it and bribed them to get in. They told me to go talk to
>Lord Andre. I spent about an hour going through that city and I cannot
>find anyone named Lord Andre. Is he only out at certain times?
>
>I am close to just dropping this game, it looked like it had promise
>but just about every "quest" is an excercise in frustration. Maybe if
>I ever find this Andre character that will change...

Did you go up the stairs in the town?? Did you talk to all the merchants
yet??

However if you are frustrated already, I hate to think what you'll feel
like later in the game when the merchant you met on the way to town
encounters you again .. This is an RPG. It's a lot like life.
Frustrating. And yes, you can do things wrong, and screw things up. And
there are monsters you can't kill very easily (or even at all). And
places you can't get into (although you can die trying). (Well, I lied
about that, but there are places that are hard to get into, like behind
the orc wall, or over the fallen bridge, and there are places that are
real hard to get out of again).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring <1127079957.204895.282650@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person tonij67@hotmail.com said
>You mean the stairs where the guards are training? I found a guy named
>Wulfgar and some guards swinging swords around, that looks like a
>barracks to me. I went all around that area trying to find him but no
>luck. Is he only out at certain times of the day?

No, the stairs the other end of town (where you first arrive) iirc. They
won't let you up there early in the game though - you need to work your
way fairly high up one of the three factions (guardsman, mercenary, or
priests) before you get to see the main man.

Relax .. it's a game. It's long, it meanders, and you often can't get
there from here yet. I can't believe you've run out of things to do or
places to try to go. There are 1001 places to go .. about 50% way too
deadly for you so far.

>I am pretty sure I talked to all the merchents, I can double check.

Then you should have a selection of possible quests. And did you stroll
down to the docks?? Wander round the back alleys. You are in way way too
much of a rush..

Look at it this way, there are no decent games for you to play after you
finish, so what's the rush. 8>... actually you can play it twice more,
since the game is different for each different faction you can join.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
> Bitstring <1127079957.204895.282650@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
> the wonderful person tonij67@hotmail.com said
>
>> You mean the stairs where the guards are training? I found a guy named
>> Wulfgar and some guards swinging swords around, that looks like a
>> barracks to me. I went all around that area trying to find him but no
>> luck. Is he only out at certain times of the day?
>

> No, the stairs the other end of town (where you first arrive) iirc. They
> won't let you up there early in the game though - you need to work your
> way fairly high up one of the three factions (guardsman, mercenary, or
> priests) before you get to see the main man.

Ah, ok. Looks like I have been barking up the wrong tree (steps).

> Relax .. it's a game. It's long, it meanders, and you often can't get
> there from here yet. I can't believe you've run out of things to do or
> places to try to go. There are 1001 places to go .. about 50% way too
> deadly for you so far.

Heh, good point. I am not in a hurry, it just seems that so far my
experience has been a little weird. Are these 1001 places still in
town? Because until I talk to this mysterious Andre, it costs me 100
gold everytime I leave. Which at this point is a small fortune to me.

>> I am pretty sure I talked to all the merchents, I can double check.
>

> Then you should have a selection of possible quests. And did you stroll
> down to the docks?? Wander round the back alleys. You are in way way too
> much of a rush..

Yes I have been on the docks. The last quest I have requires me to talk
to Andre to complete it; its the one about the guy building a ship and
wants to leave. At least the FAQ I checked mentioned that Andre is the
person who will complete this one for me (after getting the Ranger guy
drunk, that was fun!)

> Look at it this way, there are no decent games for you to play after you
> finish, so what's the rush. 8>... actually you can play it twice more,
> since the game is different for each different faction you can join.

Good point. There is absolutltey nothing else out there is remotly
interesting to me anyway!

:D

Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:

>I am close to just dropping this game, it looked like it had promise
>but just about every "quest" is an excercise in frustration. Maybe if
>I ever find this Andre character that will change...

It _is_ insanely hard in the beginning. It's perhaps not much comfort
but the game gets progressively easier the further you get. Towards
the end you're almost a god.

Unfortunately I don't remember anyone named Andre, although I suppose
he's either in the barracks, or in the pub. Oh, half a memory just hit
me - have you checked the brothel?

However, instead of giving up, consult a walkthrough.

--

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:
>

>>I am close to just dropping this game, it looked like it had promise
>>but just about every "quest" is an excercise in frustration. Maybe if
>>I ever find this Andre character that will change...
>

> It _is_ insanely hard in the beginning. It's perhaps not much comfort
> but the game gets progressively easier the further you get. Towards
> the end you're almost a god.

I expect things to be dificult at first, having played quite a few RPGs
already. I am just surprised they are *this* difficult, the quests dont
seem to scale with my level. If I had taken on that Orc by myself I
would have gotten slaughtered, but nothing in the quest description gave
me that idea. In fact, it was the *first* thing I was directed to do by
the farmer that I got the clothes from; his parting words on how to get
into town was to tell the guards that I need to see the blacksmith, so
naturally I thought the blacksmith would be were I get some "newbie"
quests.

> Unfortunately I don't remember anyone named Andre, although I suppose
> he's either in the barracks, or in the pub. Oh, half a memory just hit
> me - have you checked the brothel?

I will check the brothel again, thats on the dock right?

> However, instead of giving up, consult a walkthrough.

I usually hold off with walkthroughs unless I have already played a game
or am really stuck; since I have been really stuck with Gothic 2 so far
I have checked various walkthroughs and surprisingly, not a single one
of them even mentions *where* Lord Andre is, just that he needs to be
talked to a billion times to advance the storyline. Well I think a few
of them say he is "Near militia" or something, but no areas have labels
that I can see, the map I bought at the docks is useless so I am
thankful for all the info. you guys have given so far.

> > I expect things to be dificult at first, having played quite a few RPGs
> > already. I am just surprised they are *this* difficult, the quests dont
> > seem to scale with my level. If I had taken on that Orc by myself I would
> > have gotten slaughtered,
>
> you don't have to. Near the gate (where you can find a firemage to donate
> to, later in the game), there is a lone guard/mercenary, who asked for some
> money. Give the money to him, then he will start to protect you, if you are
> being chased by monsters and run near him. further up (right hand side of
> the gate) there is a small cave and a lone orc. go in, shoot an arrow in its
> butt and run like hell toward that guard. The orc may give up chasing if you
> run too fast. This is signified by the orc letting out a roar. if it did
> give up, just turn around and punch another arrow in its tight skinny butt,
> untill it follows you to the guards (including the gate guards, one guard
> may not be able to stop the orc from chasing you) and you will have your orc
> weapon after they slain the orc.
>
> > but nothing in the quest description gave me that idea.
>
> well if you are being spoon fed, what's the fun? Be creative and use
> whatever dirty-low-scum mean to survive is the fun in Gothic.

Honestly, I don't want to be spoon fed. In fact that's what has turned
me off from a lot of recent games that are so linear as to have quest
objectives highlighted on the screen! I am just looking for a happy
medium, here is an example (Possible spoilers follow)

I took the advice posted earlier about checking the docks again so I
headed down there. Of all the people I could find to talk to that
offered something to do, one of them is the ship guy. I cant finish
that one until I talk to Andre. So I went back to the brothel, nothing
there. The tavern had someone named Nagur who looked like a shady
character, and he wants me to pick up a package for him. Now I am role
playing a "Two faced acroundrel" type; fine, upstanding citizen by day
and backstabber by night. So I waited until night fall to go get his
package for him. Its outside of town, so it will cost me 100 gold to
get back in but thats ok. I get out to the farm and talk to the mark,
I think his name is Akil. There are two guys in plate armor that
appear to be harrasing him. I talk to Akil and he is obviously nervous
about these plate wearing thugs so he doesnt say much. I talked to
everyone in that area and none of them have anything at all to say
about this "package" I am supposed to get. I figured maybe I have to
do this during the day, so I sleep until morning and try again.
NOthing. I scour the place for this package and come up with some
trinkets but I have no idea what I am looking for. Completely
flumoxed, I head back into town (spending another 100 gold to get back
in) and talk to Nagur. Maybe part of this quest is discovering his
package is missing, or something. He doesnt mention anything at all,
his responses are very short and to the effect of "Did you get the
package yet"? I have no options to explain that I couldnt find it, or
that Akil seems to be struggling with some thugs so I am left
completely in the dark.

This is the sort of thing that frustrates me; I dont mind going back
and forth and seeing quests change over time, in fact I like that sort
of thing. But being left utterly in the dark like this doesnt make for
a very enjoyable time spent gaming.

> > In fact, it was the *first* thing I was directed to do by the farmer that
> > I got the clothes from; his parting words on how to get into town was to
> > tell the guards that I need to see the blacksmith, so naturally I thought
> > the blacksmith would be were I get some "newbie" quests.
> >

> >> Unfortunately I don't remember anyone named Andre, although I suppose
> >> he's either in the barracks, or in the pub. Oh, half a memory just hit
> >> me - have you checked the brothel?
> >
> > I will check the brothel again, thats on the dock right?
>
> Check the BARRACKS.

Like I said earlier, I have been all over the BARRACKS. No Andre. Is
it possible I did something to piss him off?

> >> However, instead of giving up, consult a walkthrough.
> >>

> > I usually hold off with walkthroughs unless I have already played a game
> > or am really stuck; since I have been really stuck with Gothic 2 so far I
> > have checked various walkthroughs and surprisingly, not a single one of
> > them even mentions *where* Lord Andre is, just that he needs to be talked
> > to a billion times to advance the storyline. Well I think a few of them
> > say he is "Near militia" or something, but no areas have labels that I can
> > see, the map I bought at the docks is useless so I am thankful for all the
> > info. you guys have given so far.
>
> the militia is the town guards. They have barracks, and there is a
> headquater in the barracks, the leader (that is Mr Lord Andre) is normally
> assumed to be in the HQ.

Is that one of the rooms that, if I walk into, everyone draws their
swords and tells me to get out?

> That map is only good for world navigation, not for town.

Clearly :D

> > I cant for the life of me find the Orc that the smith wants me to kill.
> > And even if I did find it I am sure I couldnt beat it; about the only
> > thing that DOESNT kill me is a lone goblin. Anything else (field
> > raiders, scavengers, goblins in groups) own me in short order. I am
> > level 3, all I am able to use is a rusty sword and short bow. I tried
> > buying some leather armor at the tavern outside of town, but then I
> > couldnt get back into town even if I put the farmer clothes back on.
>
> no, it's not the leather armor (unless you are wearing the bandit's armor,
> from the bandits near Zartus' (sp?) tower, but still just a maybe), but
> perhaps you have been seen stealing, picking locks or beating someone and
> people saw your bad deed and reported to the guards.

It was leather armor from the Tavern outside of town. I think maybe
its because of the quest I did for Ignaz, where I had to beat someone
up then use the scroll on them. I cannot be sure, because its not like
other games where, after you commit a crime, gaurds come running up to
you or people stop talking to you or something. If what I did *was* a
crime, it is not apparent to me. After all I didnt kill the citizen, I
just knocked her down and this was in the harbor region, where everyone
has made it clear that this is a lawless area.

I admit to having some fun with this; I would creep out past the gaurds
in broad daylight, talking to them before I left the city. They were
friendly enough. Then, right in front of them, I would turn around and
try to get back in but they would suddenly have a change of heart and
call me a trouble maker.

Gotta love AI! :D

Blue

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

<tonij67@hotmail.com>
???????:1127053858.835728.57610@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Ok I got started, those guides helped a bit. I have the combat set for
> Gothic 2 as suggested in one of them and I think I am getting the hang
> of how to fight, but I still get my butt kicked all the time. I did
> the farmers quest to get the clothes to get into the city but am still
> trying to become an apprentice. The requirements for all the masters
> seem outrageous for starting out; half of the herbs the Alchemist wants
> me to get I cant find and the bowyer (Bosper?) doesnt make any sense to
> me, I got his wolf pelts but he still wont take me on as apprentice.

eventhough you have fufill his requirement, you still need t get approval
from other masters (but not being their apprentice), so you still have to do
something like collecting debt for the master merchant, paying debt for the
master carpenter, etc (it's been a while, I can't remeber all the details)

> I cant for the life of me find the Orc that the smith wants me to kill.
> And even if I did find it I am sure I couldnt beat it; about the only
> thing that DOESNT kill me is a lone goblin. Anything else (field
> raiders, scavengers, goblins in groups) own me in short order. I am
> level 3, all I am able to use is a rusty sword and short bow. I tried
> buying some leather armor at the tavern outside of town, but then I
> couldnt get back into town even if I put the farmer clothes back on.

no, it's not the leather armor (unless you are wearing the bandit's armor,
from the bandits near Zartus' (sp?) tower, but still just a maybe), but
perhaps you have been seen stealing, picking locks or beating someone and
people saw your bad deed and reported to the guards.

> Man this game is hard...

Blue

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

<tonij67@hotmail.com>
???????:1127079957.204895.282650@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> You mean the stairs where the guards are training? I found a guy named
> Wulfgar and some guards swinging swords around, that looks like a
> barracks to me. I went all around that area trying to find him but no
> luck. Is he only out at certain times of the day?

have you talked to the guy in the room behind Wolfgar? The guy who stand at
the padestal reading some books?

"Nobody" <tonij67@hotmail.com>
???????:8EnXe.50962$32.24569@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
>> Bitstring <1127079957.204895.282650@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
>> the wonderful person tonij67@hotmail.com said
>>
>>> You mean the stairs where the guards are training? I found a guy named
>>> Wulfgar and some guards swinging swords around, that looks like a
>>> barracks to me. I went all around that area trying to find him but no
>>> luck. Is he only out at certain times of the day?
>>

>> No, the stairs the other end of town (where you first arrive) iirc. They
>> won't let you up there early in the game though - you need to work your
>> way fairly high up one of the three factions (guardsman, mercenary, or
>> priests) before you get to see the main man.
>
> Ah, ok. Looks like I have been barking up the wrong tree (steps).
>>
>> Relax .. it's a game. It's long, it meanders, and you often can't get
>> there from here yet. I can't believe you've run out of things to do or
>> places to try to go. There are 1001 places to go .. about 50% way too
>> deadly for you so far.
>
> Heh, good point. I am not in a hurry, it just seems that so far my
> experience has been a little weird. Are these 1001 places still in town?
> Because until I talk to this mysterious Andre, it costs me 100 gold
> everytime I leave. Which at this point is a small fortune to me.
>>
>>> I am pretty sure I talked to all the merchents, I can double check.
>>

>> Then you should have a selection of possible quests. And did you stroll
>> down to the docks?? Wander round the back alleys. You are in way way too
>> much of a rush..
>
> Yes I have been on the docks. The last quest I have requires me to talk
> to Andre to complete it; its the one about the guy building a ship and
> wants to leave. At least the FAQ I checked mentioned that Andre is the
> person who will complete this one for me (after getting the Ranger guy
> drunk, that was fun!)

So this Andre is actually the leader of the guards, one of the persons you
need to talk to if you don't want to be an apprentice of the masters and
still get to the upper town. He is in the barracks, not the Paladin leader
in the upper town, you have been misled in other thread. Go see Andre in the
barracks.

>> Look at it this way, there are no decent games for you to play after you
>> finish, so what's the rush. 8>... actually you can play it twice more,
>> since the game is different for each different faction you can join.
>>

> Good point. There is absolutltey nothing else out there is remotly
> interesting to me anyway!
>
> :D

Bitstring <432e26de$1_2@news.tm.net.my>, from the wonderful person blue
<blue@blue.com> said
<snip>

>> Yes I have been on the docks. The last quest I have requires me to talk
>> to Andre to complete it; its the one about the guy building a ship and
>> wants to leave. At least the FAQ

FAQ? Already? My son, you have hardly started, you'll spoil all the fun

>> I checked mentioned that Andre is the
>> person who will complete this one for me (after getting the Ranger guy
>> drunk, that was fun!)
>
>So this Andre is actually the leader of the guards, one of the persons you
>need to talk to if you don't want to be an apprentice of the masters and
>still get to the upper town. He is in the barracks, not the Paladin leader
>in the upper town, you have been misled in other thread. Go see Andre in the
>barracks.

Yeah me bad, I thought he was after the other one (and I no longer have
a copy on my PC). The guard captain is pretty easy to find all the time,
iirc. I never managed to get charged 100 every time for entering town
though ..

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring <3hvsi1dt94vbs7h0sqd07f3ecif667hf17@4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> said
>Thusly Nobody <tonij67@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>I expect things to be dificult at first, having played quite a few RPGs
>>already. I am just surprised they are *this* difficult, the quests dont
>>seem to scale with my level.
>
>That is true, the quests DON'T scale with your level. Well, not much;
>you can face the same monsters at lvl <very low> as you'll be fighting
>at lvl <high>.
>The thing with Gothic2 is that you can't take the same approach as in
>other rpg's and just wade into combat: you'll die, badly, because the
>monsters do not scale to your level. Also you're not necessarily
>rewarded for "doing the right thing". Instead the game rewards lateral
>thinking and even underhandedness when it comes to solving problems -
>and running away from strong enemies is the smart thing to do.

The other thing you need to know, which wasn't in the manual, is that
you can knock people out with melee weapons, which is generally OK with
everyone, (if you hit them when they are down they die) but missile
weapons will only kill them. This puts an 'only an archer' at a
disadvantage when the goal is merely to subdue someone.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Blue

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

"Nobody" <tonij67@hotmail.com>
???????:yJnXe.74514$3S5.39039@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> [...]

>> However, instead of giving up, consult a walkthrough.
>>

> I usually hold off with walkthroughs unless I have already played a game
> or am really stuck; since I have been really stuck with Gothic 2 so far I
> have checked various walkthroughs and surprisingly, not a single one of
> them even mentions *where* Lord Andre is, just that he needs to be talked
> to a billion times to advance the storyline. Well I think a few of them
> say he is "Near militia" or something, but no areas have labels that I can
> see, the map I bought at the docks is useless so I am thankful for all the
> info. you guys have given so far.

the militia is the town guards. They have barracks, and there is a
headquater in the barracks, the leader (that is Mr Lord Andre) is normally
assumed to be in the HQ.

That map is only good for world navigation, not for town.

Personally, I think being the apprentice of the Blacksmith is the best
option (instead of the other masters, or skipping the master and becaming a
member of the guards), he can train your strength up to 60 (IIRC) and you
could learn to forge swords (not that you could forge an Excalibur later on,
but the Blacksmith will buy the sword you forged at a good price), a good
way to earm some good money.