Using your laptop on the Sprint PCS Network

Last response: in Network Providers
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 2:44:40 PM

Two Double Standards-
1. Using cell phone as modem
2. Using PC Card to get to Internet on SprintPCS network.

We know about the wink-wink-nudge-nudge use of a cell phone as a modem
that Sprint allows for casual usage with a Vision plan, @ $15/month, by
attaching a phone to a laptop and dialing #7777

Anytime SprintPCS was serious about not allowing it, #7777 would stop
working. But apparently you have to use gigabytes of data per month for
SprintPCS to complain.

ON April 20, 2004 o/siris posted:

"So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month."

======

Your laptop is supposed to use a PC Card, according to the TOS, for
which unlimited data use is $80/month if you are on a "Business" plan.

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/promotions/unlimited_...

If you are not business, the pricing is rather much higher for
"consumer" accounts:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/servicePlansOptionsV2...

"The SprintPCS website says:

Cost Per
Month PCS VisionSM
$40 20MB
$60 40MB
$80 70MB
$100 300MB

A one-year PCS Advantage Agreement is required.
Additional kilobytes $0.002.
Additional $0.20/minute charge for calls made on PCSConnection Cards
with voice capability."

==================
Since one hour of browsing might typically use 10 Megs of data, that
means for $100/month you might only be allow 1 hour a day of useage
before you'd go over. OUCH !

=================
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 2:44:41 PM

In article <rmarkoff-B86FB3.05443918052004@news06.east.earthlink.net>,
Røbert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Two Double Standards-
>1. Using cell phone as modem
>2. Using PC Card to get to Internet on SprintPCS network.
>

>We know about the wink-wink-nudge-nudge use of a cell phone as a modem
>that Sprint allows for casual usage with a Vision plan, @ $15/month, by
>attaching a phone to a laptop and dialing #7777
>
>Anytime SprintPCS was serious about not allowing it, #7777 would stop
>working. But apparently you have to use gigabytes of data per month for
>SprintPCS to complain.
>

>ON April 20, 2004 o/siris posted:
>
>"So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
>been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month."
>
>======
>
>Your laptop is supposed to use a PC Card, according to the TOS, for
>which unlimited data use is $80/month if you are on a "Business" plan.
>
>http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/promotions/unlimited_...
>
>If you are not business, the pricing is rather much higher for
>"consumer" accounts:
>
>http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/servicePlansOptionsV2...
>
>"The SprintPCS website says:
>
>Cost Per
>Month PCS VisionSM
> $40 20MB
> $60 40MB
> $80 70MB
> $100 300MB
>
>A one-year PCS Advantage Agreement is required.
>Additional kilobytes $0.002.
>Additional $0.20/minute charge for calls made on PCSConnection Cards
>with voice capability."
>

>==================
>Since one hour of browsing might typically use 10 Megs of data, that
>means for $100/month you might only be allow 1 hour a day of useage
>before you'd go over. OUCH !

As per my posts yesterday, something is cuckoo here.
Either there is some technical problem (which makes no sense
since people are able to use it) or it's a bad management decision
as in nobody knows how to deal with it.

I don't understand, because even if you use the handset
on the phone to surf, that's pulling bytes too, through
granted probably usually not as many as you'd normally be
pulling.

Anyway, they have to know that folks won't want to pay those
rates, and turning a blind eye to "non abusive" PC connections
which is arbitrary in some way, isn't helping them in the long run.
Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month, and then the 3G using
the above rates. Is there a network difference in some way
between how the 2G's would use data vs the 3G phones?

--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop

"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message

> Anyway, they have to know that folks won't want to pay those
> rates, and turning a blind eye to "non abusive" PC connections
> which is arbitrary in some way, isn't helping them in the long run.
> Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month, and then the 3G using
> the above rates. Is there a network difference in some way
> between how the 2G's would use data vs the 3G phones?

Yes, WW & Vision are two different protocols ...

Bob
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 6:29:12 PM

<Two Double Standards-
1. Using cell phone as modem
2. Using PC Card to get to Internet on SprintPCS network.>

In my case Sprint has never enforced not using my phone as a modem. Your
"double standard" has been discussed hundreds of times. At one time Sprint
approved Vision for laptop use and sold the cable. Now they don't. It
stands to reason that Sprint does not want to lose customers who use their
phone as a modem to T-Mobile where you can actually get free internet access
but not https or nntp with your phone/laptop setup from what I have read.
It also stands to reason Sprint wants to provide a data service to compete
with AT&T . For example, my other provider Cincinnati Bell Wireless (AT&T)
charges $9.99/mo for 8 mb data! So, I for one, am not going to rock the
boat over Sprint's so-called double standard! This is a good thing not a
bad thing and I can see why they are not spelling this out to the public.
DonnaB
May 18, 2004 6:29:17 PM

"Greg Comeau" wrote:
<<Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month, and then the 3G using the
above rates.>>

Wireless Web was $5/month, plus airtime.

Eric
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 7:42:34 PM

In article <Y4pqc.19024$th.15764@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
"Donna Becker" <dbecker5@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> <Two Double Standards-
> 1. Using cell phone as modem
> 2. Using PC Card to get to Internet on SprintPCS network.>
>
> In my case Sprint has never enforced not using my phone as a modem. Your
> "double standard" has been discussed hundreds of times. At one time Sprint
> approved Vision for laptop use and sold the cable. Now they don't. It
> stands to reason that Sprint does not want to lose customers who use their
> phone as a modem to T-Mobile where you can actually get free internet access
> but not https or nntp with your phone/laptop setup from what I have read.
> It also stands to reason Sprint wants to provide a data service to compete
> with AT&T . For example, my other provider Cincinnati Bell Wireless (AT&T)
> charges $9.99/mo for 8 mb data! So, I for one, am not going to rock the
> boat over Sprint's so-called double standard! This is a good thing not a
> bad thing and I can see why they are not spelling this out to the public.

You give them too much credit, when more likely they have no way of
telling how your Vision is being used.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 10:39:19 PM

Greg Comeau wrote:

> As per my posts yesterday, something is cuckoo here.
> Either there is some technical problem (which makes no sense
> since people are able to use it) or it's a bad management decision
> as in nobody knows how to deal with it.
>
> I don't understand, because even if you use the handset
> on the phone to surf, that's pulling bytes too, through
> granted probably usually not as many as you'd normally be
> pulling.
>
> Anyway, they have to know that folks won't want to pay those
> rates, and turning a blind eye to "non abusive" PC connections
> which is arbitrary in some way, isn't helping them in the long run.
> Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month,

Umm I've been paying only $5.00 a month for WW
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 4:04:10 AM

In article <qdoqc.88$Tn6.0@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Anyway, they have to know that folks won't want to pay those
>> rates, and turning a blind eye to "non abusive" PC connections
>> which is arbitrary in some way, isn't helping them in the long run.
>> Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month, and then the 3G using
>> the above rates. Is there a network difference in some way
>> between how the 2G's would use data vs the 3G phones?
>
>Yes, WW & Vision are two different protocols ...

Why should Vision (in particular 3G phones as modems)
incur more on them than a 2G phone as a modem?
Just more people wanting to use it since it's faster?
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 4:11:36 AM

In article <rmarkoff-233288.10423318052004@news06.east.earthlink.net>,
Røbert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <Y4pqc.19024$th.15764@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
> "Donna Becker" <dbecker5@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> <Two Double Standards-
>> 1. Using cell phone as modem
>> 2. Using PC Card to get to Internet on SprintPCS network.>
>>
>> In my case Sprint has never enforced not using my phone as a modem. Your
>> "double standard" has been discussed hundreds of times. At one time Sprint
>> approved Vision for laptop use and sold the cable. Now they don't. It
>> stands to reason that Sprint does not want to lose customers who use their
>> phone as a modem to T-Mobile where you can actually get free internet access
>> but not https or nntp with your phone/laptop setup from what I have read.
>> It also stands to reason Sprint wants to provide a data service to compete
>> with AT&T . For example, my other provider Cincinnati Bell Wireless (AT&T)
>> charges $9.99/mo for 8 mb data! So, I for one, am not going to rock the
>> boat over Sprint's so-called double standard! This is a good thing not a
>> bad thing and I can see why they are not spelling this out to the public.
>
>You give them too much credit, when more likely they have no way of
>telling how your Vision is being used.

Seems weird to approve it, and then not do so.
Something must be going on, perhaps in some long term plan.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 9:51:39 AM

In article <c8d1e3$p79$1@panix2.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...
> Anyway, they have to know that folks won't want to pay those
> rates, and turning a blind eye to "non abusive" PC connections
> which is arbitrary in some way, isn't helping them in the long run.
> Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month, and then the 3G using
> the above rates. Is there a network difference in some way
> between how the 2G's would use data vs the 3G phones?

Greg, every policy carries some level of selectivity. Some point
beyond which diminishing returns yields an actual loss.

Phillie has been told, repeatedly, there is no "wink wink" to this.
Only reports that certain people have been enforced *so far*. Just
as with the selectivity police exercise when enforcing, for example,
speed limits.

Priorities have been established. I hope they re-examine the policy
once the current priority works, because I think we should have
*some* allowance for tethered data usage via the phones. But
prioritizing hardly equates to "wink wink, nudge nudge." That is
only Phillie's fabrication of it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <c8embq$qtq$1@panix3.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...

> Why should Vision (in particular 3G phones as modems)
> incur more on them than a 2G phone as a modem?
> Just more people wanting to use it since it's faster?

Basically, yeah. The older technology, branded "Wireless Web", is
circuit-switched data. Meaning it is, for all intents and purposes,
an actual call, very much like a voice call.

Vision is a newer technology, packet-switched data. In short, it
doesn't utilize a dedicated connection like a circuit-switched call
does.

Now, I don't have sufficient training in either the theory or the
underlying math to get into the real nitty-gritty. What I *do* have
is a kind of "big picture" view of it. Basically, it requires more
of a back end support structure. It requires a higher technology to
enable it.

It isn't the towers that are stressed, it's the actual data systems
themselves.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-233288.10423318052004
@news06.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> You give them too much credit, when more likely they have no way of
> telling how your Vision is being used.

That kind of deliberate lying is at the heart of why you've been
labeled a troll, Phill. You've been told, repeatedly, that we *can*
and we *do* track it. Call in as a Vision user, and you can find out
how many KB you've used.

--
RØß
O/Siris

I intend to very occasionally use my VM4500 for laptop linkage to the Net,
and I have ordered a USB cable. In the meatime, I have tried dialing "#777"
on my phone. However, I get a recording saying that "the code entered is
not valid", or words to that effect. Anyone else getting the same message?

Bill
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 1:13:17 PM

In article <a2ce07aae92516661d5c13aac07f5ab7@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>In article <c8d1e3$p79$1@panix2.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...
>> Anyway, they have to know that folks won't want to pay those
>> rates, and turning a blind eye to "non abusive" PC connections
>> which is arbitrary in some way, isn't helping them in the long run.
>> Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month, and then the 3G using
>> the above rates. Is there a network difference in some way
>> between how the 2G's would use data vs the 3G phones?
>
>Greg, every policy carries some level of selectivity.

Indeed.

>Some point=20
>beyond which diminishing returns yields an actual loss.

I agree again. (though I don't know if that's indeed what's
happening here)

>Phillie has been told, repeatedly, there is no "wink wink" to this. =20
>Only reports that certain people have been enforced *so far*. Just=20
>as with the selectivity police exercise when enforcing, for example,=20
>speed limits.
>
>Priorities have been established. I hope they re-examine the policy=20
>once the current priority works, because I think we should have=20
>*some* allowance for tethered data usage via the phones. But=20
>prioritizing hardly equates to "wink wink, nudge nudge." That is=20
>only Phillie's fabrication of it.

On the same note, it does leave open some senses of interpretation.
Anyway, I can understand and see what you're saying.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 1:17:44 PM

In article <d4e92466b2b8aa8f6e6a77821c495a29@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>In article <c8embq$qtq$1@panix3.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...
>>=20
>> Why should Vision (in particular 3G phones as modems)
>> incur more on them than a 2G phone as a modem?
>> Just more people wanting to use it since it's faster?
>>=20
>
>Basically, yeah. The older technology, branded "Wireless Web", is=20
>circuit-switched data. Meaning it is, for all intents and purposes,=20
>an actual call, very much like a voice call.
>
>Vision is a newer technology, packet-switched data. In short, it=20
>doesn't utilize a dedicated connection like a circuit-switched call=20
>does.
>
>Now, I don't have sufficient training in either the theory or the=20
>underlying math to get into the real nitty-gritty. What I *do* have=20
>is a kind of "big picture" view of it. Basically, it requires more=20
>of a back end support structure. It requires a higher technology to=20
>enable it.
>
>It isn't the towers that are stressed, it's the actual data systems=20
>themselves.

I know you're just speaking as the messenger, but I'm curious
about it nonetheless. It seems to me that Vision itself does stressing
not previously possible. I realize that that's difference throughput
and bandwith though than a huge download or multi-hour browser fest :)
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 1:19:32 PM

In article <f309daed3677387f50fb541497fc5b9d@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>In article <rmarkoff-233288.10423318052004
>@news06.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
>>=20
>> You give them too much credit, when more likely they have no way of=20
>> telling how your Vision is being used.
>>=20
>>=20
>
>That kind of deliberate lying is at the heart of why you've been=20
>labeled a troll, Phill. You've been told, repeatedly, that we *can*=20
>and we *do* track it. Call in as a Vision user, and you can find out=20
>how many KB you've used.

I assume one can find this out online or with a * dial'd number too?
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 2:57:48 PM

O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<f309daed3677387f50fb541497fc5b9d@news.teranews.com>...

> That kind of deliberate lying is at the heart of why you've been
> labeled a troll, Phill. You've been told, repeatedly, that we *can*
> and we *do* track it. Call in as a Vision user, and you can find out
> how many KB you've used.

While I hate being put into the position of defending our resident
troll, I think his point is that SPCS can't (or doesn't ) know if any
_particular_ data transferred is to a phone or to a tethered device.
So a tethered MB looks the same as a direct-to-phone MB.

Of course, as you said, actual data transfer AMOUNTS are tracked, and
it's hard to imagine anyone racking up 500MB/month on their phone
looking up weather and sports scores!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 3:46:52 PM

"Bill T" <wctom1@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I intend to very occasionally use my VM4500 for laptop linkage to the Net,
> and I have ordered a USB cable. In the meatime, I have tried dialing
"#777"
> on my phone. However, I get a recording saying that "the code entered is
> not valid", or words to that effect. Anyone else getting the same
message?

> Bill

You don't physically dial that number to connect with Vision while tethered
to your laptop. Your DUN does. Once you get the cable, the steps to set it
up are -

1) Find and download the phone drivers for your particular model.
2) Connect the USB cable to your phone and then to the USB port. Your
computer will recognize new hardware. When it asks for the drivers, browse
to where you downloaded the phone drivers.
3) Set up a new DUN, putting #777 in the phone number field, and leave your
username and password fields empty.

After that, you should be good to go.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 3:50:04 PM

> In article <qdoqc.88$Tn6.0@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Anyway, they have to know that folks won't want to pay those
> >> rates, and turning a blind eye to "non abusive" PC connections
> >> which is arbitrary in some way, isn't helping them in the long run.
> >> Especially since the 2G WW was $10/month, and then the 3G using
> >> the above rates. Is there a network difference in some way
> >> between how the 2G's would use data vs the 3G phones?
> >
> >Yes, WW & Vision are two different protocols ...
>
> Why should Vision (in particular 3G phones as modems)
> incur more on them than a 2G phone as a modem?
> Just more people wanting to use it since it's faster?

Yes, it's much faster, and it doesn't use minutes off your plan.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 8:09:09 PM

In article <c8fmt4$8uu$1@panix2.panix.com>,
comeau@panix.com (Greg Comeau) wrote:

> In article <f309daed3677387f50fb541497fc5b9d@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
> >In article <rmarkoff-233288.10423318052004
> >@news06.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> >>=20
> >> You give them too much credit, when more likely they have no way of=20
> >> telling how your Vision is being used.
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >
> >That kind of deliberate lying

Rob J Vargas

Disgrace of SprintPCS.

Can never discuss an issue without hurling insults.

Give us a URL saying otherwise.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 8:13:35 PM

> In article <f309daed3677387f50fb541497fc5b9d@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <osiris@sprintpcs.com> wrote:
> >In article <rmarkoff-233288.10423318052004
> >@news06.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> >>=20
> >> You give them too much credit, when more likely they have no way of=20
> >> telling how your Vision is being used.
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >
> >That kind of deliberate lying

Not at all, Simple logic. If using a phone as modem is against the TOS
(and we both agree on that), and as you would maintain SprintPCS can
know whenever it used improperly, then there can only be one of two
conclusions since SprintPCS could then automatically bill for such usage.

1. Sprint Can not in fact automatically tell when your phone is being
used as a modem on Vision.

and/or

2. Sprint is actively using its wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting
users use their cell phone as modem.

and if the allow it, why is it in the TOS?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 8:20:42 PM

In article <c8fmpo$6j6$1@panix2.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...

> I know you're just speaking as the messenger, but I'm curious
> about it nonetheless. It seems to me that Vision itself does stressing
> not previously possible. I realize that that's difference throughput
> and bandwith though than a huge download or multi-hour browser fest :)

I'm confused. I think there's something missing from that last
sentence. Or I'm just not seeing it. Even Tier 1 data support techs
do little more than Vision account maintenance. Anything that delves
deeper into the data infrastructure is handled via support tickets.
So I don't have the kind of deep knowledge I desperately want in
order to explain our decision RE: tethered data usage.

I think, though, that we're basically saying the same thing. Vision
induces more of a load on our web/Internet services infrastructure,
and as such, can't handle the kind of usage we started to see when we
*did* allow it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <c8fmt4$8uu$1@panix2.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...
> I assume one can find this out online or with a * dial'd number too?

No. We're working on that. That is a shortcoming I've acknowledged
previously, though.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <c8fmhd$hc$1@panix2.panix.com>, comeau@panix.com says...

> On the same note, it does leave open some senses of interpretation.
> Anyway, I can understand and see what you're saying.

Now *that* I agree with.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <26239908327ce47789fe6e52cef05e50@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>So I don't have the kind of deep knowledge I desperately want in=20
>order to explain our decision RE: tethered data usage.
>
>I think, though, that we're basically saying the same thing. Vision=20
>induces more of a load on our web/Internet services infrastructure,=20
>and as such, can't handle the kind of usage we started to see when we=20
>*did* allow it.

I was probably being too vague, but yes, that was more along the
lines of my point, that they (it seems) obviously had to upgrade things
for Vision capability, which seems to be the right underlying technology
for PC "cell modems". Anyway, more than is obvious might be going on
behind the scenes technically though. Also, I don't know much about this
either, but I don't know where wi-fi fits in anywhere, but maybe there
is a surprise forthcoming on that in the near future since it seems
Verizon wants to push for that (on the other hand, that still seems
years away to being effective, for a true computing nomad).
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 9:04:05 PM

"Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message news:c8fmt4$8uu$1@panix2.panix.com...
> In article <f309daed3677387f50fb541497fc5b9d@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>> You've been told, repeatedly, that we *can*=20
>>and we *do* track it. Call in as a Vision user, and you can find out=20
>>how many KB you've used.
>
> I assume one can find this out online or with a * dial'd number too?

Amazingly, no.

--

John Richards
Anonymous

In article <rmarkoff-052199.11133519052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> then there can only be one of two
> conclusions since SprintPCS could then automatically bill for such usage.
>
> 1. Sprint Can not in fact automatically tell when your phone is being
> used as a modem on Vision.
>
> and/or
>
> 2. Sprint is actively using its wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting
> users use their cell phone as modem.

Logical fallacy, Phill, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you,
and you now prove you repeatedly ignore.

Look up the word "priority" sometime.

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris wrote:

> Logical fallacy, Phill, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you,
> and you now prove you repeatedly ignore.
>
> Look up the word "priority" sometime.

False Dilemma

Definition:

A limited number of options (usually two) is given, while in reality
there are more options. A false dilemma is an illegitimate use of the
"or" operator.
Putting issues or opinions into "black or white" terms is a common
instance of this fallacy.

Proof:
Identify the options given and show (with an example) that
there is an additional option.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 9:56:52 PM

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:7f72626f03e2ebc8cdf73a94835ce7ed@news.teranews.com...
>In article <rmarkoff-052199.11133519052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
>> then there can only be one of two
> conclusions since SprintPCS could then automatically bill for such usage.
>>
>> 1. Sprint Can not in fact automatically tell when your phone is being
> used as a modem on Vision.
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> 2. Sprint is actively using its wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting
>> users use their cell phone as modem.
>>

>Logical fallacy, Phill, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you,
>and you now prove you repeatedly ignore.
>
>Look up the word "priority" sometime.

Whether one describes the policy as:

A. Sprint does not consider the policing of casual handset modem use to be a high priority,

or

B. Sprint is using a wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting users use their cell phone as modem [for casual use],

the net effect is the same.

It's a matter of semantics.

--

John Richards
Anonymous

> 1) Find and download the phone drivers for your particular model.
> 2) Connect the USB cable to your phone and then to the USB port. Your
> computer will recognize new hardware. When it asks for the drivers, browse
> to where you downloaded the phone drivers.
> 3) Set up a new DUN, putting #777 in the phone number field, and leave
> your
> username and password fields empty.
>
> After that, you should be good to go.

Thanks.

Just got the cable and got everything working in 2 minutes. A test download
got me approx. 100 kb/sec., much better than a dial-up. My regular
connection is wi-fi broadband, so I won't be using my phone as a frequent
laptop access. BUT, it is great to know that I have this option now
available.

BTW, I got the MiniSync cable; this is one ingenious gadget.

Bill T
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 12:45:32 AM

In article <de37a2e0.0405190957.539ed681@posting.google.com>,
elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote:

> Of course, as you said, actual data transfer AMOUNTS are tracked, and
> it's hard to imagine anyone racking up 500MB/month on their phone
> looking up weather and sports scores!

If actual data amounts are tracked, why aren't 5 lines of code added and
that number shown for you on the SprintPCS web site?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 12:46:45 AM

In article <9sMqc.278$jd5.277@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "Greg Comeau" <comeau@panix.com> wrote in message
> > In article <f309daed3677387f50fb541497fc5b9d@news.teranews.com>,
> > O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
> >> You've been told, repeatedly, that we *can*=20
> >>and we *do* track it. Call in as a Vision user, and you can find out=20
> >>how many KB you've used.
> >
> > I assume one can find this out online or with a * dial'd number too?
>
> Amazingly, no.

Sure makes one think its not tracked, otherwise why is it not displayed
for the customer along with # of SMS Messages and minutes used on the
Web site or at *4 ?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 12:50:37 AM

In article <EdNqc.286$jd5.15@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
> >In article <rmarkoff-052199.11133519052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
> rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> >> then there can only be one of two
> > conclusions since SprintPCS could then automatically bill for such usage.
> >>
> >> 1. Sprint Can not in fact automatically tell when your phone is being
> > used as a modem on Vision.
> >>
> >> and/or
> >>
> >> 2. Sprint is actively using its wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting
> >> users use their cell phone as modem.
> >>

> >Logical fallacy, Phill, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you,
> >and you now prove you repeatedly ignore.
> >
> >Look up the word "priority" sometime.
>

> Whether one describes the policy as:
>
> A. Sprint does not consider the policing of casual handset modem use to
> be a high priority,
>
> or
>
> B. Sprint is using a wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting users use
> their cell phone as modem [for casual use],
>
> the net effect is the same.
>
> It's a matter of semantics.

If its "A", why have a statement in the TOS, that tends to destroy the
credibility of the TOS.

And if its B - why does our lowly (self described) "OUT OF THE LOOP"
Sprint employee insult me for saying so?

Either way SprintPCS is doing something illogical.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 12:51:59 AM

In article <V6Nqc.2437$be.2147@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> O/Siris wrote:
>
> > Logical fallacy, Phill, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you,
> > and you now prove you repeatedly ignore.
> >
> > Look up the word "priority" sometime.
> >

> False Dilemma
>
> Definition:
>
> A limited number of options (usually two) is given, while in reality
> there are more options. A false dilemma is an illegitimate use of the
> "or" operator.
> Putting issues or opinions into "black or white" terms is a common
> instance of this fallacy.
>
> Proof:
> Identify the options given and show (with an example) that
> there is an additional option.

Thank you Mike. That gentleman has a bad habit of making educated
guesses, and then treating his guesses like fact.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 1:04:02 AM

In article <wMNqc.50862$Cg7.41984@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
"Bill T" <wctom1@pacbell.net> wrote:

> > 1) Find and download the phone drivers for your particular model.
> > 2) Connect the USB cable to your phone and then to the USB port. Your
> > computer will recognize new hardware. When it asks for the drivers, browse
> > to where you downloaded the phone drivers.
> > 3) Set up a new DUN, putting #777 in the phone number field, and leave
> > your
> > username and password fields empty.
> >
> > After that, you should be good to go.
>

> Thanks.
>
> Just got the cable and got everything working in 2 minutes. A test download
> got me approx. 100 kb/sec., much better than a dial-up. My regular
> connection is wi-fi broadband, so I won't be using my phone as a frequent
> laptop access. BUT, it is great to know that I have this option now
> available.

Wink-Wink-Nudge-Nudge
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 1:10:36 AM

Todd Allcock wrote:

> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<f309daed3677387f50fb541497fc5b9d@news.teranews.com>...
>
>> That kind of deliberate lying is at the heart of why you've been
>> labeled a troll, Phill. You've been told, repeatedly, that we *can*
>> and we *do* track it. Call in as a Vision user, and you can find out
>> how many KB you've used.
>
> While I hate being put into the position of defending our resident
> troll, I think his point is that SPCS can't (or doesn't ) know if any
> _particular_ data transferred is to a phone or to a tethered device.
> So a tethered MB looks the same as a direct-to-phone MB.
>
> Of course, as you said, actual data transfer AMOUNTS are tracked, and
> it's hard to imagine anyone racking up 500MB/month on their phone
> looking up weather and sports scores!

My computer automaticaly builds up several documents on a daily basis,
around 5 megabytes worth, and then uploads them to an ftp site, as well
as putting them in my Treo's host PC's synch directory.

When I'm home, I retrieve them over the USB, by synching.

When I'm away from home, I retrieve them over the air.

If I were away from home for a month, I'd easily build up over 150MB of
traffic, not including email and web browsing.

I have little doubt that SPCS can easily determine that your non-PDA
phone is doing an awful lot of traffic that is non-http protocol.

A PDA phone like my Treo would probably look an awful lot like a PC. I
wouldn't be too surprised to learn that SPCS could distinguish between
traffic originated by my Treo and traffic routed through the Treo.

In any event, it's clearly in Sprint's (and their customers') interests
to properly balance the network load. That would be why SPCS might not
mind the occasional usage of a phone to supply your notebook with
network access, but would actively discourage chronic usage.

In the latter case, you would find too many people overloading the
network as they cancelled their dialup ISPs in favor of similar or
better data rates from SPCS. And the legit phone and data users would
therefore more often find the network unable to meet their needs.

I would rather have SPCS make it explicit that using the phone as a
modem is permissible for no more than, say, 1 hour per month. After
that, you get charged the non-Vision data rates, or perhaps it would eat
into your anytime minutes in some defined ratio. That would accomplish
the same thing as the current situation, and leave the customers knowing
where they stand.

That said, I think we Treo users get a damn good deal. I've never
bothered to look into setting up a "modem" connection through my phone.
I can do most of my away-from-home 'net work directly on the Treo. At
$15/month, all I can eat. Very cool!

When I absolutely need network access away from home, I use the free
dialup connection (10 hours/month) included in my Road Runner account.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 1:10:37 AM

In article <g3Qqc.13818$q_1.12651@twister.socal.rr.com>,
rlsusenet@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org <NoSuchPerson@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>In any event, it's clearly in Sprint's (and their customers') interests
>to properly balance the network load. That would be why SPCS might not
>mind the occasional usage of a phone to supply your notebook with
>network access, but would actively discourage chronic usage.
>
>In the latter case, you would find too many people overloading the
>network as they cancelled their dialup ISPs in favor of similar or
>better data rates from SPCS. And the legit phone and data users would
>therefore more often find the network unable to meet their needs.
>
>I would rather have SPCS make it explicit that using the phone as a
>modem is permissible for no more than, say, 1 hour per month. After
>that, you get charged the non-Vision data rates, or perhaps it would eat
>into your anytime minutes in some defined ratio. That would accomplish
>the same thing as the current situation, and leave the customers knowing
>where they stand.

I agree. The 2G WW $10/month (some people seem to have gotten it
for $5/month) plus using airtime minutes was very fair and reasonable,
and since there would be a penalty (the monthly fee and use of minutes)
the network could be metabolized in some way, and/or you would pay
Sprint additional fees for overage or whatever which one would think
could somehow be fed back into keeping the technology up to re-balancing
it by their purchasing more equiptment, R&D, etc. Using raw MB,
and such low counts, doesn't cut it: it seems over the head for
the general consumer, incrementally costly for the exec floating around
who's willing to pocket the expense themselves, and could easily
get to be an out of hand expense for company use, whether locally
or as a mobile strategy.
--
Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 1:41:47 AM

In article <g3Qqc.13818$q_1.12651@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"rlsusenet@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org" <NoSuchPerson@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> In any event, it's clearly in Sprint's (and their customers') interests
> to properly balance the network load. That would be why SPCS might not
> mind the occasional usage of a phone to supply your notebook with
> network access, but would actively discourage chronic usage.

wink-wink-nudge-nudge go ahead.

So why have a TOS that says you can't do it at all, if you **DO** allow
it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 2:57:33 AM

In article <rmarkoff-B041B3.15515919052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> In article <V6Nqc.2437$be.2147@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:
>
> > O/Siris wrote:
> >
> > > Logical fallacy, Phill, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you,
> > > and you now prove you repeatedly ignore.
> > >
> > > Look up the word "priority" sometime.
> > >

> > False Dilemma
> >
> > Definition:
> >
> > A limited number of options (usually two) is given, while in reality
> > there are more options. A false dilemma is an illegitimate use of the
> > "or" operator.
> > Putting issues or opinions into "black or white" terms is a common
> > instance of this fallacy.
> >
> > Proof:
> > Identify the options given and show (with an example) that
> > there is an additional option.
>
> Thank you Mike. That gentleman has a bad habit of making educated
> guesses, and then treating his guesses like fact.

You sure do have a predilection for getting the meaning of a post
exactly backwards. The criticism was of your post, not mine.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-CF16C3.15503719052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> If its "A", why have a statement in the TOS, that tends to destroy the
> credibility of the TOS.
>
> And if its B - why does our lowly (self described) "OUT OF THE LOOP"
> Sprint employee insult me for saying so?

Because you've repeatedly ignored C.

And how nice of you to distort past posts. As usual.

Some christian.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <de37a2e0.0405190957.539ed681@posting.google.com>,
elecconnec@aol.com says...
> While I hate being put into the position of defending our resident
> troll, I think his point is that SPCS can't (or doesn't ) know if any
> _particular_ data transferred is to a phone or to a tethered device.
> So a tethered MB looks the same as a direct-to-phone MB.

Yeah, actually, we do. I've refused (and still do) to discuss how.
But we do.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-F36C7F.15464419052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> Sure makes one think its not tracked, otherwise why is it not displayed
> for the customer along with # of SMS Messages and minutes used on the
> Web site or at *4 ?

For those willing to think about it, maybe.

You've told at least three times, Phill, that this is an acknowledged
fault, and still you persist as if you've not been told.

--
RØß
O/Siris

> > 1) Find and download the phone drivers for your particular model.
> > 2) Connect the USB cable to your phone and then to the USB port. Your
> > computer will recognize new hardware. When it asks for the drivers,
browse
> > to where you downloaded the phone drivers.
> > 3) Set up a new DUN, putting #777 in the phone number field, and leave
> > your
> > username and password fields empty.
> >
> > After that, you should be good to go.
>

> Thanks.
>
> Just got the cable and got everything working in 2 minutes. A test
download
> got me approx. 100 kb/sec., much better than a dial-up. My regular
> connection is wi-fi broadband, so I won't be using my phone as a frequent
> laptop access. BUT, it is great to know that I have this option now
> available.
>
> BTW, I got the MiniSync cable; this is one ingenious gadget.
>

> Bill T

Glad it worked out for you.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 3:47:16 AM

"Robert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:rmarkoff-CF16C3.15503719052004@news2.west.earthlink.net...
> In article <EdNqc.286$jd5.15@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> "John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Whether one describes the policy as:
>>
>> A. Sprint does not consider the policing of casual handset modem use to
>> be a high priority,
>>
>> or
>>
>> B. Sprint is using a wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting users use
>> their cell phone as modem [for casual use],
>>
>> the net effect is the same.
>>
>> It's a matter of semantics.
>
> If its "A", why have a statement in the TOS, that tends to destroy the
> credibility of the TOS.

No more so than having a specific speed limit on each road, yet most
cops won't write you a speeding ticket for going 1-9 mph over the limit.
If you think that destroys credibility in speed limits, so be it.

--

John Richards
Anonymous

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:c97f7f0ba84f045defcd4982f7efa8a3@news.teranews.com...
>In article <rmarkoff-CF16C3.15503719052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

>> If its "A", why have a statement in the TOS, that tends to destroy the
>> credibility of the TOS.
>>
>> And if its B - why does our lowly (self described) "OUT OF THE LOOP"
>> Sprint employee insult me for saying so?
>
>Because you've repeatedly ignored C.

I thought you subscribed to the "A" theory. What is "C"?

--

John Richards
Anonymous

In article <8mSqc.332$jd5.110@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "Robert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <EdNqc.286$jd5.15@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> > "John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> Whether one describes the policy as:
> >>
> >> A. Sprint does not consider the policing of casual handset modem use
> >> be a high priority,
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >> B. Sprint is using a wink-wink-nudge-nudge policy of letting users
> >> use
> >> their cell phone as modem [for casual use],
> >>
> >> the net effect is the same.
> >>
> >> It's a matter of semantics.
> >
> > If its "A", why have a statement in the TOS, that tends to destroy the
> > credibility of the TOS.
>
> No more so than having a specific speed limit on each road, yet most
> cops won't write you a speeding ticket for going 1-9 mph over the limit.
> If you think that destroys credibility in speed limits, so be it.

Wrong analogy. the proper analogy is a car without plates taht can not
be driven at all, but only gets tickets if going over 90 mph.

Its not a speed limit. The Sprint TOS says no use of phone as modem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 5:14:24 AM

In article <QoSqc.333$jd5.73@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
> >In article <rmarkoff-CF16C3.15503719052004@news2.west.earthlink.net>,
> rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> >>
> >> If its "A", why have a statement in the TOS, that tends to destroy the
> >> credibility of the TOS.
> >>
> >> And if its B - why does our lowly (self described) "OUT OF THE LOOP"
> >> Sprint employee insult me for saying so?
> >
> >Because you've repeatedly ignored C.
>
> I thought you subscribed to the "A" theory. What is "C"?

Dont you love his making a fake excuse?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 5:22:38 AM

In article <QoSqc.333$jd5.73@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net says...

> >Because you've repeatedly ignored C.
>
> I thought you subscribed to the "A" theory. What is "C"?

That a certain segment of violators, for now, are being targeted.
Like when a highway has everyone doing 70, the police will pull over
the one doing 75.

That does not mean the police are condoning 70.

--
RØß
O/Siris

"Røbert M" wrote:

> In article <8mSqc.332$jd5.110@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> "John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > "Robert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > If its "A", why have a statement in the TOS, that tends to destroy the
> > > credibility of the TOS.
> >
> > No more so than having a specific speed limit on each road, yet most
> > cops won't write you a speeding ticket for going 1-9 mph over the limit.
> > If you think that destroys credibility in speed limits, so be it.
>
> Wrong analogy. the proper analogy is a car without plates taht can not
> be driven at all, but only gets tickets if going over 90 mph.

So, if you only get stopped going over 90, don't go over 90!

Larry
May 20, 2004 11:53:56 AM

O/Siris wrote:
> Yeah, actually, we do. I've refused (and still do) to discuss how.
> But we do.

Okay, if I install an application like M2Audio, can Sprint tell I'm
using the phone and not a computer?
If my browser's user agent field is modified to resemble that of my
Sprint handset, will they be able to tell?
-mike
!