SB Live! 5.1 MP3+ MP3 Playback and game issues

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Hello. I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 MP3+ PCI sound card.
I have noticed that when I play basically any MP3 file that
the song will "skip" or "jump" at different places. It is not
a corrupt MP3 because I can play that same MP3 on another
computer and it doesn't skip or jump at any point I have
also noticed that in some 3D games(such as Quake 3) it will
do this too. The game will play a sound effect and the sound
effect will be cut short or not play at all and the game
will skip or jump as well. I have reenabled my onboard audio in the BIOS and it works just fine playing MP3's and games but it degrades my systems performance noticeably so I'd preferr to use the SB Live!. I have the latest driver for the
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 MP3+ sound card and the latest
drivers for my motherboards chipset and video card. My
motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra and my video card
is an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. I have the latest VIA 4in1's 4.45
and the latest ATI Catalyst drivers version 3.1. I have
512MB of PC2100 DDR and an Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73GHz CPU and
Cambridge SoundWorks 4.1 surround sound speakers. Can you
please help me fix this issue? Thanks,

Tavis

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TC10284 on 02/20/03 12:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Have you tried swapping the sound card to different PCI slots, if so what have you done? I've found for myself the Creative Soundcard seems to work best in PCI slot 3.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Yep. It doesn't work any better. I haven't tried too much other than switching the slot the SB Live uses and reinstalling the drivers for it. I'm gonna do a reformat soon because of other problems with my system and see if that helps anything. If not I'll let you know.

Well with WinXP Pro you shouldn't have any IRQ conflicts. Is it possible the card could be defective, do you have another computer to test the card in?

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Well I reformatted and everythings went smooth. Still though, I tried playing an MP3 and it skipped a few times but I haven't had much time to really test it. I'm thinking about getting an Audigy 2 or a Turtle Beach sound card. What do you think? Thanks,

Tavis

I've got an Audigy collecting dust, and thats where it will stay, get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, it will not disapoint you.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
No promises, but George Breese's <b>pci latency patch</b> may help you here... You can get it from his download page at:

<A HREF="http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/" target="_new">http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/</A>

Read the FAQ carefully, this is a boot device.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
I would try it but it says "This is the current stable version. It does not support the KT400 or P4X400 chipsets." and I have a KT400 chipset......I guess I'm gonna have to get a Santa Cruz then......

TRENDING THREADS