quitting GW...for now

well guys I'm calling it quits on guild wars.

I'm on my second character. My first character I got to thunderhead
keep and just decided to start over. after being stuck on the aurora
glade mission for 3 hours because people can't work together and follow
instructions I'm completely burned out on this game.

This game could of went down as one of my favorites but instead goes
down as one of the most frustrating. I guess you can't always fault
other people for dropping out or screwing up but it sure is annoying.

They should really have the option to import a henchmen if a player
drops and also group vote for kicking someone if they just go idle to
leech experience. At one time or another everyone has to leave a game.
Some of these missions are quite long and things come up. like maybe
your gf wants you to play with her, get a important phone call, or time
to go to work etc.

I would also love to see portals in missions so you can respawn. As I
said before I am the type of person that hates with a passion having to
go through and do the same thing over again. Maybe this would make the
game to easy but its just to aggravating the way its setup now.

I played WoW for about 4 months before coming to guild wars. I only
made it up to around 35 before the game became to difficult for solo. I
have to say for the time I spent on a game I had a lot more
entertainment out of WoW. The nice thing about gw was that your friends
weren't on 10 different servers and you can instantly teleport to
different towns. The gryphons rides in WoW were cool for a while but
after riding them hundres of times its a big time waster. I'm sure
things like this are thought about when they designed the game to keep
you in as long as possible. I doubt I will ever go back to a monthly
fee game. Sometimes the charges are actually fair but it just feels
like "renting" a game to me.

Anyway thanks nostronomo and Caldaron Brood? I think your current char
was. You guys were really good to game with and hopefully we can group
up again in future games . I might try guild wars again someday but
don't see it happening for at least 3-12 months or maybe when they
release the expansion.

I have very little time. I'm going to try some single player rpgs with
a pause and save button.

Jedi Spork
12 answers Last reply
More about quitting

    sure I suspose you could. I also had problems finding good groups in
    WoW or for the most part finding a group just took to long. But if
    your just going to play alone why not stick to single player games.

    <JediSpork@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > well guys I'm calling it quits on guild wars.
    >
    > I'm on my second character. My first character I got to thunderhead
    > keep and just decided to start over. after being stuck on the aurora
    > glade mission for 3 hours because people can't work together and follow
    > instructions I'm completely burned out on this game.

    I figured as much. Easy games like this with a Battle Net feel cannot
    compete to real MMORPGS

    Time to go back to wow

    Thusly JediSpork@gmail.com Spake Unto All:

    >well guys I'm calling it quits on guild wars.
    >
    >I'm on my second character. My first character I got to thunderhead
    >keep and just decided to start over. after being stuck on the aurora
    >glade mission for 3 hours because people can't work together and follow
    >instructions I'm completely burned out on this game.

    Told you: party with guildies or with RL friends, or learn to laugh at
    asshats. I don't know what the average age (mentally & physically)
    might be, but it's clearly low, and a single leeeeeroy on the team can
    make some missions impossible.

    Sorry to hear you gave up, though. Aurora Glade is the only mission in
    the game that's nearly impossible to do with henches (since you can't
    split your team; two humans + henches can do it).
    To be honest capturing and holding Thunderhead Keep is my favorite
    mission in the game, precisely because it's challenging but if you
    play your cards right not at all impossible.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

    <JediSpork@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have very little time. I'm going to try some single player rpgs with
    > a pause and save button.

    As you can imagine, almost everyone here cares.. greatly!

    Thus spake JediSpork@gmail.com, 18 Sep 2005 07:21:13 -0700, Anno Domini:

    >Anyway thanks nostronomo and Caldaron Brood? I think your current char
    >was. You guys were really good to game with and hopefully we can group

    YMW - Saint is Caladon Brood.

    >up again in future games . I might try guild wars again someday but
    >don't see it happening for at least 3-12 months or maybe when they
    >release the expansion.

    >I have very little time. I'm going to try some single player rpgs with
    >a pause and save button.

    Sorry to hear that Jedi :(. Hey, you've paid for the game - there's nothing
    stopping you from *only* playing on Sun morning for 3-4 hrs with us guildies
    in our weekly team game. Don't let asshats ruin a good mmorpg with no
    monthly fee for you. There may not be another for a long time, if ever...;)
    And there's plenty of content you haven't seen yet, just like me.
    In either case, happy gaming & take care matey!

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

    > To be honest capturing and holding Thunderhead Keep is my favorite
    > mission in the game, precisely because it's challenging but if you
    > play your cards right not at all impossible.

    It's a average mission with henches if you are part elementarist or
    monk. All human parties often fail here because rushing and spreading
    forces is a really bad idea here.

    Christian Seitz

    JediSpork@gmail.com wrote:
    > well guys I'm calling it quits on guild wars.
    >
    > I'm on my second character. My first character I got to thunderhead
    > keep and just decided to start over. after being stuck on the aurora
    > glade mission for 3 hours because people can't work together and follow
    > instructions I'm completely burned out on this game.
    >
    > This game could of went down as one of my favorites but instead goes
    > down as one of the most frustrating. I guess you can't always fault
    > other people for dropping out or screwing up but it sure is annoying.
    >
    > They should really have the option to import a henchmen if a player
    > drops and also group vote for kicking someone if they just go idle to
    > leech experience. At one time or another everyone has to leave a game.
    > Some of these missions are quite long and things come up. like maybe
    > your gf wants you to play with her, get a important phone call, or time
    > to go to work etc.

    This is the way high end content goes in pretty much any game. You
    have to devote significant time to it. And often all at one sitting.

    > I would also love to see portals in missions so you can respawn. As I
    > said before I am the type of person that hates with a passion having to
    > go through and do the same thing over again. Maybe this would make the
    > game to easy but its just to aggravating the way its setup now.

    Maybe MMORPGs just aren't for you. They do require a high tolerance
    for doing the same thing over and over again.

    > I played WoW for about 4 months before coming to guild wars. I only
    > made it up to around 35 before the game became to difficult for solo. I
    > have to say for the time I spent on a game I had a lot more
    > entertainment out of WoW. The nice thing about gw was that your friends
    > weren't on 10 different servers and you can instantly teleport to
    > different towns. The gryphons rides in WoW were cool for a while but
    > after riding them hundres of times its a big time waster. I'm sure
    > things like this are thought about when they designed the game to keep
    > you in as long as possible. I doubt I will ever go back to a monthly
    > fee game. Sometimes the charges are actually fair but it just feels
    > like "renting" a game to me.

    In general, soloing was easier in WoW than in any other game I ever
    played. There is hardly any grind at all compared to other games. At
    35 you should have been able to do the first few Nesingwary Expedition
    quests in Stranglethorn Vale easily plus the various crystal collection
    quests from Booty Bay. Those are all neutral faction quests. There
    are a number of Horde quests you could solo then too, but from your
    gryphon comment I suspect you played Alliance.

    > I have very little time. I'm going to try some single player rpgs with
    > a pause and save button.

    I think Dungeon Siege 2 is kinda fun. And a lot faster than either WoW
    or GW.

    Quoth The Raven: JediSpork@gmail.com <JediSpork@gmail.com> in
    1127053273.770120.3610@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
    > well guys I'm calling it quits on guild wars.
    >
    > I'm on my second character. My first character I got to thunderhead
    > keep and just decided to start over. after being stuck on the aurora
    > glade mission for 3 hours because people can't work together and
    > follow instructions I'm completely burned out on this game.
    >
    > This game could of went down as one of my favorites but instead goes
    > down as one of the most frustrating. I guess you can't always fault
    > other people for dropping out or screwing up but it sure is annoying.
    >
    > They should really have the option to import a henchmen if a player
    > drops and also group vote for kicking someone if they just go idle to
    > leech experience. At one time or another everyone has to leave a game.
    > Some of these missions are quite long and things come up. like maybe
    > your gf wants you to play with her, get a important phone call, or
    > time to go to work etc.
    >
    > I would also love to see portals in missions so you can respawn. As I
    > said before I am the type of person that hates with a passion having
    > to go through and do the same thing over again. Maybe this would make
    > the game to easy but its just to aggravating the way its setup now.
    >
    > I played WoW for about 4 months before coming to guild wars. I only
    > made it up to around 35 before the game became to difficult for solo.
    > I have to say for the time I spent on a game I had a lot more
    > entertainment out of WoW. The nice thing about gw was that your
    > friends weren't on 10 different servers and you can instantly
    > teleport to different towns. The gryphons rides in WoW were cool for
    > a while but after riding them hundres of times its a big time waster.
    > I'm sure things like this are thought about when they designed the
    > game to keep you in as long as possible. I doubt I will ever go back
    > to a monthly fee game. Sometimes the charges are actually fair but it
    > just feels like "renting" a game to me.
    >
    > Anyway thanks nostronomo and Caldaron Brood? I think your current char
    > was. You guys were really good to game with and hopefully we can group
    > up again in future games . I might try guild wars again someday but
    > don't see it happening for at least 3-12 months or maybe when they
    > release the expansion.
    >
    > I have very little time. I'm going to try some single player rpgs with
    > a pause and save button.
    >
    > Jedi Spork

    cool, can i have your stuff?

    --
    If you are good, you will be assigned all the work. If you are really
    good, you will get out of it.

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

    Thusly seitz@krick.com (Christian Seitz) Spake Unto All:

    >> To be honest capturing and holding Thunderhead Keep is my favorite
    >> mission in the game, precisely because it's challenging but if you
    >> play your cards right not at all impossible.
    >
    >It's a average mission with henches if you are part elementarist or
    >monk. All human parties often fail here because rushing and spreading
    >forces is a really bad idea here.

    I play a mesmer/monk, but all my skills are mesmer (except healing
    breeze).
    I liked Thunderhead Keep as it is one of very few missions where
    tactical decisions were key - in most missions I can just charge
    ahead, but in Thunderhead I had to consider positioning and conserve
    energy. I ended up withdrawing to a defensive position around the
    king, where I just had to watch the two stairs, and doing the
    occasional strike out into the courtyard to prevent the Mursaat from
    gathering in large groups.

    With a human team I expect many more options would be open (including
    manning the catapults), but I can certainly see that if the team goes
    running around wildly and not focussing fire even a human team may
    lose. As it should be, IMO.

    Objectively I suppose Ring of Fire or Hells Precipice are harder
    missions, it's hard to get through those without casualties, but
    they're straightforward: you advance along a road trying to pick off
    enemy groups one by one. If you take your time they're not
    particularly challenging. But if you take your time in the defence of
    Thunderhead Keep, you die.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Mon, 19 Sep 2005
    10:51:03 +1000, Anno Domini:

    >> Anyway thanks nostronomo and Caldaron Brood? I think your current char
    >> was. You guys were really good to game with and hopefully we can group
    >> up again in future games . I might try guild wars again someday but
    >> don't see it happening for at least 3-12 months or maybe when they
    >> release the expansion.
    >>
    >> I have very little time. I'm going to try some single player rpgs with
    >> a pause and save button.
    >>
    >> Jedi Spork
    >
    >cool, can i have your stuff?

    ROFLMFAO! >8^D)))))

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
    863ti1dctv8jnp2nhlt6mghm1fm8apkrsc@4ax.com
    > Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Mon, 19 Sep
    > 2005 10:51:03 +1000, Anno Domini:
    >
    >>> Anyway thanks nostronomo and Caldaron Brood? I think your current
    >>> char was. You guys were really good to game with and hopefully we
    >>> can group up again in future games . I might try guild wars again
    >>> someday but don't see it happening for at least 3-12 months or
    >>> maybe when they release the expansion.
    >>>
    >>> I have very little time. I'm going to try some single player rpgs
    >>> with a pause and save button.
    >>>
    >>> Jedi Spork
    >>
    >> cool, can i have your stuff?
    >
    > ROFLMFAO! >8^D)))))

    well if you dont ask........

    --
    I love cats ... they taste just like chicken

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > As you can imagine, almost everyone here cares.. greatly!

    And I imagine NCsoft will totally miss his $0 a month and the toll he
    takes on their servers.

    -Eric

PC gaming Games World Of Warcraft Video Games