Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
This is driving me nuts. I bought a Lite-On 52x24x52 about 3 weeks ago through NewEgg and installed it under Windows98SE along with Nero. Had no problems with it. I recently upgraded to WinXP Pro and havent been able to burn anything since.

The drive starts to spin up after buffering and encoding etc is done, but promptly stops before burning. It gets stuck in an endless loop of spin up, slow down, spin up, slow down. Cancelling Nero doesnt stop it, I have to restart Windows.

I've tried burning all kinds of different media at just about every speed, nothing has helped so far. Any help is appreciated.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
well my standard reply here ... go to device manager and remove it and then reboot and let xp redetect it then go into its properties and make sure use dma if available is checked

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
I've seen that tip posted here before, but I've never been able to find anything about enabling DMA in my device properties.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
look in the properties for the ide controller ..

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
Alright. Did that. Still doing the same thing unfortunately. I have it setup as a slave on IDE2 with a 52x CDROM as the master. Would it make a difference if I switched it to master, or moved it to IDE1? I had it working with the current hardware setup in Win98, which is why I dont understand what's wrong.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It is possible that you have got a dud.. it does happen from time to time even with the best of products.

You can try moving it around, but i suspect that wont do a thing.

You could also try running a cd drive cleaner, just to be sure its not a bit of dirt or something on the optics

Also, try lots of different things! Does it:
A. read audio cd'sproperly?
B. do DAE on audio cd's ok?
C. burn or different types of media? (green, gold or cd-rw disks)
D. erase rewritables?
<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LHGPooBaa on 02/20/03 08:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
Writing and Erasing onto CD-RW discs was successful. It reads audio CD's without problem. I've been using Imation 700mb CD-R disks, silver. I've probably only burned a dozen or so disks since I've had the drive, but I've never made a coaster, and I've never had issues with the silver Imation disks before.

The CD-RW disks are Memorex 700mb disks. I've tried a handful of the Imation disks from different spots in the stack. Could I have gotten a partially bad stack of media?

Thanks for the input so far.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Anything is possible really.
And the easy way to test this would be to get different media.

<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
After toying around a little more, I've found that the drive will still write to the Imation disks, but only at 12x. If I try to write anything faster than that, it gets stuck in an endless loop of stupidity.

The disks are 48x disks, and before now, I was burning them at 52x without problem. I dont mind if I have to RMA the drive, but I want to make sure that it's actually a hardware problem.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. interesting you mentioned that.
a few weeks back my liteon had trouble with a cd.
a emtex green 700mb cd taht are rated for 1-16x but usually i can burn at up to 40x or 48x.
well it burnt ok... but got stuck on the leadout.
in my case it was most certainly due to burning the cd at waaay beyond what it was certified for.

i would reccommend trying out a couple of other 48x cd's from a different brand first before RMA'ign the drive.

<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.