Oblivion: Combat

For those that didn't see this yet:

http://www.morrowind.com/codex/team_teamprof_stevem.htm

It's a run down on the basics of combat. Looks much more detailed than
Morrowind, I have not played the Gothics (where are they in the stores
for fuctsake) so I can't comment on those. It's definatly more
arcade-like and less ultima underworldish.

Some quotes for those that don't want to read the whole thing:

"If you click again at a certain point in the swing, you can perform
another attack on the back swing - so you can do multiple slashes with
your weapon by properly timed clicks of the attack button."

"Now there are two reasons to block - to protect yourself from maximum
damage, and to try to force your opponent to recoil so you can perform
a counter attack."

"you can cast spells at any time. You no longer need to "switch" to
magic."

and of course the most important thing to me at least:
"First of all, NPC's can do everything the player can do. They can move
around, block, use normal and power attacks, mix things up with weapon
or hand-to-hand combat, or magic, etc. So can creatures. And it's all
customizable using a new feature called a Combat Style."
22 answers Last reply
More about oblivion combat

    Yet the combat in Morrowind was just stand still and hit. Though your
    character did block, you could get knock downs and you could hit (and
    be hit) out of your attack animations, the only choice you had was
    stand and hit, cast a spell, or run away with very little control over
    anything. It is like Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
    > Yet the combat in Morrowind was just stand still and hit. Though your
    > character did block, you could get knock downs and you could hit (and
    > be hit) out of your attack animations, the only choice you had was
    > stand and hit, cast a spell, or run away with very little control over
    > anything. It is like Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

    This is true. The one area I hated most of the Morrowind series was the
    basic combat...

    Bitstring <1127314265.351626.320680@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, from
    the wonderful person littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> said
    >For those that didn't see this yet:
    >
    >http://www.morrowind.com/codex/team_teamprof_stevem.htm
    >
    >It's a run down on the basics of combat. Looks much more detailed than
    >Morrowind, I have not played the Gothics (where are they in the stores

    They are pretty much out-of-print .. Gothic1 sells for silly prices, G2
    is available at reasonable prices from various amazon marketplace
    sellers, but major games chains won't have them on the shelves (except
    maybe used versions).

    Afaict G1 was never re-issued to coincide with G2 release.

    Yet more examples of the way the games industry spends mega$$ developing
    something and then totally screws up the basics of getting it to the
    customers when/where/if they want it. Like how much can it cost to
    re-issue G1 ...

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

    > "If you click again at a certain point in the swing, you can perform
    > another attack on the back swing - so you can do multiple slashes with
    > your weapon by properly timed clicks of the attack button."

    ugh... sounds like Morrowind meets Mortal Kombat.

    "jwb" <jwb3333removethis@excite.com> wrote:
    >"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
    >> "If you click again at a certain point in the swing, you can perform
    >> another attack on the back swing - so you can do multiple slashes with
    >> your weapon by properly timed clicks of the attack button."
    >ugh... sounds like Morrowind meets Mortal Kombat.

    It sounds like combat in Jade Empire (which I enjoyed a lot!)

    --
    Lucian

    Bateau wrote:
    > "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    > >Yet the combat in Morrowind was just stand still and hit. Though your
    > >character did block, you could get knock downs and you could hit (and
    > >be hit) out of your attack animations, the only choice you had was
    > >stand and hit, cast a spell, or run away with very little control over
    > >anything. It is like Mike Tyson's Punch Out.
    >
    > I prefer blocking, knocking down etc to happen automatically based on
    > your character's skill at blocking, strength etc not your own skill at
    > waving a mouse around.
    Exactly my opinion. If I decide to play a *role*playing game is
    because I want my character's abilities to be more important than my
    player's abilities when determining battle action results. Otherwise
    I'd go ahead and play Heretic 2!
    But all we're seeing now is the 'consolization' of the Elder Scroll
    games, period.

    What's wrong with heretic 2?

    I know what you're saying, no one wants ES to turn into an action
    platformer, but as much as we may try to pretend it's not, in many ways
    it's very much like Mario 64. Who doesn't move in close to an enemy to
    strike and then widen the distance so that the enemy's attack
    automatically misses (doesn't work all that great because for some
    reason you will get hit before attack animation completes, but you can
    still try)? Who doesn't try to make crazy jumps to get over the
    mountains so they don't have to walk all the way around on the curvy
    roads to get back to Balmora? Tell me you didn't jump down from the
    cantons in vivec to save time? Who doesn't flick out behind cover to
    shoot an enemy archer and then back in again? I think the ES team is
    just giving into the fact that what they see players trying to do
    (circle strafing, flicking, etc) because the engine IS an FPS one
    shouldn't be shunned but should simply be integrated into the gameplay.

    The integration of the platformer/FPS aspect and the RPG abilities is
    the beauty of the series, from daggerfall up to now, and I want to see
    it evolve.

    littlemute wrote:
    > What's wrong with heretic 2?

    Nothing wrong as a game, it was a nice 'Quake in fantasy setting', but
    an RPG it was not. When I play an RPG, I want my character's stats to
    be all important. A master archer that shoots at my naked fat drunk lvl
    1 0 in all stats character should hit, regardless that I am an expert
    Quake player and move away before the arrow hits.

    GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> skrev i meddelelsen

    > They are pretty much out-of-print .. Gothic1 sells for silly prices, G2

    Silly prices? Do I have a fortune sitting on my shelf, or...? :-)

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    >For those that didn't see this yet:
    >
    >http://www.morrowind.com/codex/team_teamprof_stevem.htm
    >
    >It's a run down on the basics of combat. Looks much more detailed than
    >Morrowind, I have not played the Gothics (where are they in the stores
    >for fuctsake) so I can't comment on those. It's definatly more
    >arcade-like and less ultima underworldish.
    >
    >Some quotes for those that don't want to read the whole thing:
    >
    > "If you click again at a certain point in the swing, you can perform
    >another attack on the back swing - so you can do multiple slashes with
    >your weapon by properly timed clicks of the attack button."
    >
    >"Now there are two reasons to block - to protect yourself from maximum
    >damage, and to try to force your opponent to recoil so you can perform
    >a counter attack."
    >
    >"you can cast spells at any time. You no longer need to "switch" to
    >magic."
    >
    >and of course the most important thing to me at least:
    >"First of all, NPC's can do everything the player can do. They can move
    >around, block, use normal and power attacks, mix things up with weapon
    >or hand-to-hand combat, or magic, etc. So can creatures. And it's all
    >customizable using a new feature called a Combat Style."

    So in other words you are going to need reflexes like in beat em up
    games.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    >Yet the combat in Morrowind was just stand still and hit. Though your
    >character did block, you could get knock downs and you could hit (and
    >be hit) out of your attack animations, the only choice you had was
    >stand and hit, cast a spell, or run away with very little control over
    >anything. It is like Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

    I prefer blocking, knocking down etc to happen automatically based on
    your character's skill at blocking, strength etc not your own skill at
    waving a mouse around.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Bitstring <4332fcea$0$210$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, from the
    wonderful person Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> said
    >GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> skrev i meddelelsen
    >
    >> They are pretty much out-of-print .. Gothic1 sells for silly prices, G2
    >
    >Silly prices? Do I have a fortune sitting on my shelf, or...? :-)

    Well www.amazon.co.uk had one listed for about $60 last time I looked. I
    consider that pretty silly for a game that ought be in the bargain bins
    at $10 or so. 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
    > "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    >>Yet the combat in Morrowind was just stand still and hit. Though your
    >>character did block, you could get knock downs and you could hit (and
    >>be hit) out of your attack animations, the only choice you had was
    >>stand and hit, cast a spell, or run away with very little control over
    >>anything. It is like Mike Tyson's Punch Out.
    >
    > I prefer blocking, knocking down etc to happen automatically based on
    > your character's skill at blocking, strength etc not your own skill at
    > waving a mouse around.

    Agreed.

    --
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."
    "Now, quack, damn you!"

    Multiversal Mercenaries
    You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    >>and of course the most important thing to me at least:
    >>"First of all, NPC's can do everything the player can do. They can move
    >>around, block, use normal and power attacks, mix things up with weapon
    >>or hand-to-hand combat, or magic, etc. So can creatures. And it's all
    >>customizable using a new feature called a Combat Style."

    >So in other words you are going to need reflexes like in beat em up
    >games.

    Yeah, why can't they just have the semi real time skill based system
    every other PC rpg has. Nothing wrong with that if it's done well. (WoW
    and GW are good examples)
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    BombayMix wrote:
    > >>and of course the most important thing to me at least:
    > >>"First of all, NPC's can do everything the player can do. They can move
    > >>around, block, use normal and power attacks, mix things up with weapon
    > >>or hand-to-hand combat, or magic, etc. So can creatures. And it's all
    > >>customizable using a new feature called a Combat Style."
    >
    > >So in other words you are going to need reflexes like in beat em up
    > >games.
    >
    > Yeah, why can't they just have the semi real time skill based system
    > every other PC rpg has. Nothing wrong with that if it's done well. (WoW
    > and GW are good examples)
    My point too. Just because the character's stats define the outcome of
    actions doesn't mean the game is 'turn based'. There is a lot of
    movement in games like City of Heroes, and it feels real time, but all
    the actions are resolved depending on the character vs. mob stats and
    the random result of that
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> in
    1127397447.117704.99070@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
    > Bateau wrote:
    >> "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    >>> Yet the combat in Morrowind was just stand still and hit. Though
    >>> your character did block, you could get knock downs and you could
    >>> hit (and be hit) out of your attack animations, the only choice you
    >>> had was stand and hit, cast a spell, or run away with very little
    >>> control over anything. It is like Mike Tyson's Punch Out.
    >>
    >> I prefer blocking, knocking down etc to happen automatically based on
    >> your character's skill at blocking, strength etc not your own skill
    >> at waving a mouse around.
    > Exactly my opinion. If I decide to play a *role*playing game is
    > because I want my character's abilities to be more important than my
    > player's abilities when determining battle action results. Otherwise
    > I'd go ahead and play Heretic 2!
    > But all we're seeing now is the 'consolization' of the Elder Scroll
    > games, period.

    heretic 2 was amazing, why hasnt anyone used that combat style in other
    games?

    --
    Quick brown fox goes around lazy dog.

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >> >So in other words you are going to need reflexes like in beat em up
    >> >games.
    >>
    >> Yeah, why can't they just have the semi real time skill based system
    >> every other PC rpg has. Nothing wrong with that if it's done well. (WoW
    >> and GW are good examples)
    >My point too. Just because the character's stats define the outcome of
    >actions doesn't mean the game is 'turn based'. There is a lot of
    >movement in games like City of Heroes, and it feels real time, but all
    >the actions are resolved depending on the character vs. mob stats and
    >the random result of that

    Not to mention that CoH at least has a combat system where enemies make
    their combat roll (and succeed or fail) instantly, even if they won't be
    able to actually do the move for several seconds.
    In practical term this means that if you try the shoot and duck behind
    cover routine, they will hit you back, because their "shot" was made
    during that nanosecond when you were visible and if it "succeeds" will
    hit you regardless of what cover you're behind now.

    Also see the snipers who can see, aim and shoot you as you are briefly
    visible between buildings 1000 feet away and traveling at 80mph even if
    the gap they saw you through was only 6 inches wide.

    Xocyll
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    >Quoth The Raven: wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> in
    >1127397447.117704.99070@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
    >> Bateau wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I prefer blocking, knocking down etc to happen automatically based on
    >>> your character's skill at blocking, strength etc not your own skill
    >>> at waving a mouse around.
    >> Exactly my opinion. If I decide to play a *role*playing game is
    >> because I want my character's abilities to be more important than my
    >> player's abilities when determining battle action results. Otherwise
    >> I'd go ahead and play Heretic 2!
    >> But all we're seeing now is the 'consolization' of the Elder Scroll
    >> games, period.
    >
    >heretic 2 was amazing, why hasnt anyone used that combat style in other
    >games?

    I didn't play much of Heretic 2 but Jedi Knight 2 is a bit like that.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> in
    3pi7j1h8o7vk3fpnfvieiufsl0i3ac6c6c@4ax.com
    > "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    >> Quoth The Raven: wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> in
    >> 1127397447.117704.99070@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com

    >>> Exactly my opinion. If I decide to play a *role*playing game is
    >>> because I want my character's abilities to be more important than my
    >>> player's abilities when determining battle action results.
    >>> Otherwise I'd go ahead and play Heretic 2!
    >>> But all we're seeing now is the 'consolization' of the Elder Scroll
    >>> games, period.
    >>
    >> heretic 2 was amazing, why hasnt anyone used that combat style in
    >> other games?
    >
    > I didn't play much of Heretic 2 but Jedi Knight 2 is a bit like that.

    I was thinking more like the way you fight with a staff, that was
    inspirational

    --
    I poured Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    >Quoth The Raven: Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> in
    >3pi7j1h8o7vk3fpnfvieiufsl0i3ac6c6c@4ax.com
    >> "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    >>> Quoth The Raven: wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> in
    >>> 1127397447.117704.99070@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com

    >>> heretic 2 was amazing, why hasnt anyone used that combat style in
    >>> other games?
    >>
    >> I didn't play much of Heretic 2 but Jedi Knight 2 is a bit like that.
    >
    >I was thinking more like the way you fight with a staff, that was
    >inspirational

    Seemed like a hassle to me. You don't need the character to weild a
    staff to get him to do acrobatic moves like that.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> Spake Unto All:

    >heretic 2 was amazing, why hasnt anyone used that combat style in other
    >games?

    Because that's not how combat is done in RPG's.

    Come on, get with the genre-defining formulaic programme here!

    Actually when I first got Guild Wars I was _hoping_ it'd use fps style
    combat (like Heretic2), but alas, it used standard mmorpg combat.

    Operation: Fantasy. Now there's a game waiting to be written.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

    Just change your name to "Batsu" and you'll be fine.

PC gaming Oblivion Video Games