Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
How do I delete mbr folder? Repair didn't work. I tried a different hard drive with the same results. The first error messages were "boot manager not found" Thanks, Cam

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Thanks for your assistance but I was unable to use Fdisk. I need to know the proper way to do this.
My main problem is that it will not boot after Microsoft updates.I used 2 different hard drives and the problem is the same. the first one is the one on my HP pavilion, recovery failed to fix the problem.
I ordered recovery cd's and that did not work!

What to do???

cam

What exactly is the issue, exact messages, what is happening? A recovery disk wipes out the drive, nothing short of a hardware issue will prevent it from booting after that. Unless you used the wrong disk set with the wrong drivers.

mbr is not a folder, it's a part on the hard-drive that holds the master boot record, basically without it the computer does not know what is on the hard-drive.

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

disk manager not found

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
If it could be a hardware problem, what could it be? I just ran the HP tests and everything checks out ok. Running factory image restore from cd's again. Hope this works!

Cam

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Download EasyBCD (it's free), this will rewrite your MBR and allow you to edit your boot loader. Just switching drive wont do anything as one drive contains the boot record and tells the computer which drive contains the OS and what folder. Also a boot drive has to be set as an active drive. EasyBCD can rewrite your MBR and set the drive you wish to boot from as the active drive. Only one drive is allowed to be set active.

I had to do this last night when I moved my OS to a larger drive and the MBR contained tri-booting entries that were no longer needed or available, so I used EasyBCD to edit out XP and Ubuntu but leaving the Win7 boot option alone.

What happened before this? Is the drive making any sounds? Did you have a hard time booting before?

You said you tried a different hard-drive, did you re-install Windows on that or try to at least? You can't just swap a hard-drive from another computer and have it work.

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

The second hard drive was clean and I installed the operating system. It worked fine for 3 restarts, but after 3 windows updates it would not boot. Same thing on both hard drives.

Have you tried turning off auto update and running that way for a bit? Does it continue to boot fine that way?

Have you installed the drivers from the PC vendor?

Try this, install Windows clean, turn off updates, install the drivers from the PC vendor, especially the chipset and a new BIOS if there is one. Run that way for a bit see if it's stable.

If it is, and you have a way of imaging the drive, take an image of it. Then turn on updates and see what happens. If it kills the boot again, you have the image to go back to and try to trouble-shoot some more.

The fact that the system boots fine a few times on two different hard-drives lessens the chance that it's a drive issue or a motherboard issue.

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Yes I did install the drivers from HP( the ones they recommended).
I did run without windows updates for 3 reboots.

So the fact that it ran updates did not change anything? It only rebooted 3 times with or without updates before it failed? Did you install anything else aside form the drivers? Have a CD or flash drive in the system? Moved drives around?

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

I installed updates after 3 reboots. Only safemode after that.

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

No, nothing was attached. Nothing else was done.

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

I dont have a disk for that os

I have been using the command prompt from startup disk

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

I recovered through the 4 disks from Hp. The problem is still there plus some others. I fixed the boot problem (I think). One problem that I had all along after fixing the boot is that it starts up to the windows logo appears and then disappears after a few seconds. Then the screen goes dark. The cursor is not seen. Then the logon music plays, and that is as far as it goes. One more thing happened that this time the whole screen did not fill, (A large black border all around the screen). The same size as the recovery screen. Device manager says that my drivers are fine. Could it be a problem with my video card?

Thanks

Cam_68

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
A big thank you to everyone who offered assistance with my big problem.

I am now up and running and everything is perfect! I let it set there for awhile after it wouldn't boot and in the meantime I blew it out and then tried to boot again. No more problem!!!!. Maybe the dust was the problem?