Is there any real rpg left out there ?

Hello there,

I'm trying (again) to find some game somewhere that would feel the
desesperatly empty space left by Baldur and Neverwinter.

Could anyone point me to a game that is :
- rich in the character creation department (d&d like, or any kind of
character sheet)
- multiplayer (i mean LAN multiplayer)
- nice looking enough (neverwinter kind of graphics would be great, but
baldur's gate 2 graphics would be still ok)

I played everything bioware/black isle (i think so) so is there something
else like that anywhere else ?

Why can't we have morrowind-like game with multiplayer capability or
something like a LAN based everquest ? It's depressive to say the least (i
WON'T buy 2 copy of guild wars just to be able to play with me and my
girlfriend, can't games company understand that i'm not that rich)

Any help ?
9 answers Last reply
More about real left

    If you have not played them yet, you can't go very wrong with the other
    titles based on the Baldur's Gate engine: Icewind Dale 1 & 2 and
    Planescape:Torment (a masterpiece). They should still be available in budget
    edition or in bargain bins.

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:43:40 +0200, Blake Salomon wrote:

    > I played everything bioware/black isle (i think so) so is there something
    > else like that anywhere else ?

    They are not "like" BG, but still fairly deep and enjoyable: Gothic and
    Gothic 2. They are strictly single-player, though.

    M.

    Thus spake "Blake Salomon" <concordia@horizon.com>, Sun, 25 Sep 2005
    19:43:40 +0200, Anno Domini:

    >Hello there,
    >
    >I'm trying (again) to find some game somewhere that would feel the
    >desesperatly empty space left by Baldur and Neverwinter.
    I would be desperate too after playing NWN, *following* BG1/2. :)

    >Could anyone point me to a game that is :
    >- rich in the character creation department (d&d like, or any kind of
    >character sheet)
    >- multiplayer (i mean LAN multiplayer)
    I knew you'd make this difficult.

    >- nice looking enough (neverwinter kind of graphics would be great, but
    >baldur's gate 2 graphics would be still ok)
    >
    >I played everything bioware/black isle (i think so) so is there something
    >else like that anywhere else ?
    Not a whole lot in multiplayer, except other BI/Bioware games. There are
    some great crpgs out there, but they're either mmorpgs (ok, not THAT many
    are great), or they're single-player (Fallouts, Gothics, Torment, Kotor,
    etc). Have you tried Sacred perhaps? Failing that, Diablo 2? As a last
    resort, switch to strategy/rpg or action/rpg hybrids.

    >Why can't we have morrowind-like game with multiplayer capability or
    >something like a LAN based everquest ? It's depressive to say the least (i
    .. o O (why do foreigners always say 'depressive' when they mean
    'depressing'...? <ponders>)

    >WON'T buy 2 copy of guild wars just to be able to play with me and my
    >girlfriend, can't games company understand that i'm not that rich)
    You only have to buy GW once (or twice) - there's no monthly fee. Stop your
    whining.
    I suggest you find other multiplayer 'games' to play with your girlfriend.
    After all, she's only playing PC games to please you, so you should pay
    close attention to that, because when she stops playing games with you...

    >Any help ?
    I'm out.

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

    Sheesh, can't even have a decent on-topic thread without people not
    only putting down the one who started the thread but then putting down
    each other. What has the world come to?! lol

    The LAN multiplayer part of the request is the sticking point and other
    than what has been mentioned before (Diablo 2 though it is very lite in
    it's rpg'ing). You may want to try some of the many NWN player-created
    modules if you haven't already, some of those are very good.

    Blake Salomon wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > I'm trying (again) to find some game somewhere that would feel the
    > desesperatly empty space left by Baldur and Neverwinter.
    >
    > Could anyone point me to a game that is :
    > - rich in the character creation department (d&d like, or any kind of
    > character sheet)
    > - multiplayer (i mean LAN multiplayer)
    > - nice looking enough (neverwinter kind of graphics would be great, but
    > baldur's gate 2 graphics would be still ok)
    >
    > I played everything bioware/black isle (i think so) so is there something
    > else like that anywhere else ?
    >
    > Why can't we have morrowind-like game with multiplayer capability or
    > something like a LAN based everquest ? It's depressive to say the least (i
    > WON'T buy 2 copy of guild wars just to be able to play with me and my
    > girlfriend, can't games company understand that i'm not that rich)
    >
    > Any help ?
    Think of it this way. If you buy 2 GWs you spend some $80 for both.
    Sure it may seem like a lot, but think about this. You get unlimited
    entertainment for that (no monthly fees). If instead you take her to
    the movies 3 times (maybe even 2 if you buy popcorns/soda) and the same
    money is gone... perhaps 4-5 hours of entertainment, and one of those
    movies is probably a chick flick, so you just sleep those 2 hours.
    Do yourself and your wallet a favor and get GW :)

    Michael Vondung wrote:

    > If you'd rather get killfilled, that can be arranged, but you're sort of a
    > regular.

    That didn't stop me from doing it.

    Blake Salomon wrote:

    > Why can't we have morrowind-like game with multiplayer capability or
    > something like a LAN based everquest ? It's depressive to say the least (i
    > WON'T buy 2 copy of guild wars just to be able to play with me and my
    > girlfriend, can't games company understand that i'm not that rich)
    >
    > Any help ?

    Ummm...this makes no sense. You aren't rich enough to buy "another"
    copy of GW so you can play together, which implies you already have one
    copy, but you are looking for a new game you can play with her? What
    is the difference between buying a new separate CRPG or buying a 2nd
    copy of GW, given that you already own one???

    Haha, yet another post about how RPG's just aren't the same anymore and
    how 'depressive' that is. it's like 1 or 2 of these a week now!
    Combine this with the SAME style posts in pc.games.strategic and what
    you have is a bunch of men greying at the sides of their heads and
    balding with less free time, less imagination and less desire to do
    anything other than sit around and play computer games and when the big
    video game teat in the sky doesn't give them exactly what they want in
    a game, they whine and wax nostalgic about games they played when the
    parts of their brain that produce imagination still worked. Why not
    just say "Hey guys, what's out there that's good?" instead of this
    inflamitory bullshit: " Is there any real rpg left out there ?"

    You're talking about a client server style game you can play on the LAN
    and that's Diablo/Diablo 2 and the pisspoor Dungeon Siege.

    On 27 Sep 2005 06:34:51 -0700, littlemute wrote:

    > Combine this with the SAME style posts in pc.games.strategic and what
    > you have is a bunch of men greying at the sides of their heads and
    > balding with less free time, less imagination and less desire

    The grey hairs first appeared in the beard.

    M.

PC gaming Multiplayer RPG Video Games