pc cards

Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to get
or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
what the advantage to one is over the other.

Capt.
6 answers Last reply
More about cards

    "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
    get
    > or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
    > what the advantage to one is over the other.
    >
    > Capt.

    Get the lowest priced one. The all do the same thing. The Sierra Wireless
    Aircard just has the capability to make voice calls. The CF Yiso modem works
    with PocketPC's as well as laptops. That's it.

    hey thanks, that was a hell of lot easier to understand the way you put it.

    capt.

    On 5/21/04 5:26 PM, in article 10assvgbltg8jf8@corp.supernews.com, "Captain"
    <capn@charter.net> wrote:

    > hey thanks, that was a hell of lot easier to understand the way you put it.
    >
    > capt.
    > "DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
    >> get
    >>> or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really
    > state
    >>> what the advantage to one is over the other.
    >>>
    >>> Capt.
    >>>

    >> Get the lowest priced one. The all do the same thing. The Sierra Wireless
    >> Aircard just has the capability to make voice calls. The CF Yiso modem
    > works
    >> with PocketPC's as well as laptops. That's it.

    Welcome.

    "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
    get
    > or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
    > what the advantage to one is over the other.

    I have the Merlin card with a $80 a month unlimited usage plan (which they
    offered for a while, then stopped offering, maybe they will bring it back).
    I am impressed with the reliability and stability of the connection
    software, and the covereage we have in Florida (but I often use it out of
    state as well). Generally speaking, connections are as a good as a fast
    dialup or better, most of the time when downloading a file off the
    corporate site we have, I see transfer rates of 6-10 kbytes a sec (note: I
    see slower rates when in the Northeast). Sometimes when I am on the road, I
    drive with the laptop on, connected to the internet, and playing an internet
    radio station and most of the time I can hold the signal for an hour of
    highway driving or better.

    Compared to their phones and phone services, its the best thing Sprint does
    in my opinion.

    In article <AsFtc.53$861.36@fe25.usenetserver.com>,
    "Frank Thomas" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
    > get
    > > or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
    > > what the advantage to one is over the other.
    > >

    > I have the Merlin card with a $80 a month unlimited usage plan (which they
    > offered for a while, then stopped offering, maybe they will bring it back).

    They currently offer it. You don't look for it on the "Rates" page, you
    look for it on the Business/Promotions page.

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:36:20 +0000, DavyDE wrote:

    > "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
    > get
    >> or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
    >> what the advantage to one is over the other.
    >>
    >> Capt.
    >>

    > Get the lowest priced one. The all do the same thing. The Sierra Wireless
    > Aircard just has the capability to make voice calls. The CF Yiso modem works
    > with PocketPC's as well as laptops. That's it.

    Not true! Most are 16 bit instead of 32 bit. The AirPrime 3200 and 3300
    are 32 bit cardbus cards and will consume a lot less power and run cooler
    as well. I don't care too much about the voice capability of the Sierra
    cards and won't pay the extra money. The reason Sierra who now owns
    AirPrime, came out with the 3300 is because many laptops do not provide
    3.3 volts to the pcmcia cards like they should and the 3200 on some
    systems shows up as part usb, part pcmcia and the OS gets confused. Notice
    that the latest 3200 drivers also have usb support and can be used with
    actual usb hookups? The 3300 relaxed the voltage requirements to slightly
    lower than 3.3 v so the device is recognized by non standard pcmcia
    voltages as a serial modem like the others and uses all the extra AT
    commands you can do to fine tune it a bit. The 3200 and 3300 can realize
    the limits of the current backbone with no trouble and I believe uploads
    are full speed. I'm not sure if the 16 bit cards even run in full duplex.

    Dave

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers Product