Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

pc cards

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 19, 2004 6:57:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to get
or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
what the advantage to one is over the other.

Capt.

More about : cards

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 6:36:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
news:10anf10hqgf1j3d@corp.supernews.com...
> Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
get
> or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
> what the advantage to one is over the other.
>
> Capt.
>
>

Get the lowest priced one. The all do the same thing. The Sierra Wireless
Aircard just has the capability to make voice calls. The CF Yiso modem works
with PocketPC's as well as laptops. That's it.
May 21, 2004 8:26:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

hey thanks, that was a hell of lot easier to understand the way you put it.

capt.
"DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote in message
news:En3rc.22918$KE6.9034@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:10anf10hqgf1j3d@corp.supernews.com...
> > Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
> get
> > or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really
state
> > what the advantage to one is over the other.
> >
> > Capt.
> >
> >
>
> Get the lowest priced one. The all do the same thing. The Sierra Wireless
> Aircard just has the capability to make voice calls. The CF Yiso modem
works
> with PocketPC's as well as laptops. That's it.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 4:38:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On 5/21/04 5:26 PM, in article 10assvgbltg8jf8@corp.supernews.com, "Captain"
<capn@charter.net> wrote:

> hey thanks, that was a hell of lot easier to understand the way you put it.
>
> capt.
> "DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote in message
> news:En3rc.22918$KE6.9034@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
>> news:10anf10hqgf1j3d@corp.supernews.com...
>>> Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
>> get
>>> or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really
> state
>>> what the advantage to one is over the other.
>>>
>>> Capt.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Get the lowest priced one. The all do the same thing. The Sierra Wireless
>> Aircard just has the capability to make voice calls. The CF Yiso modem
> works
>> with PocketPC's as well as laptops. That's it.
>>
>>
>
>

Welcome.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 11:31:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
news:10anf10hqgf1j3d@corp.supernews.com...
> Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
get
> or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
> what the advantage to one is over the other.
>
>

I have the Merlin card with a $80 a month unlimited usage plan (which they
offered for a while, then stopped offering, maybe they will bring it back).
I am impressed with the reliability and stability of the connection
software, and the covereage we have in Florida (but I often use it out of
state as well). Generally speaking, connections are as a good as a fast
dialup or better, most of the time when downloading a file off the
corporate site we have, I see transfer rates of 6-10 kbytes a sec (note: I
see slower rates when in the Northeast). Sometimes when I am on the road, I
drive with the laptop on, connected to the internet, and playing an internet
radio station and most of the time I can hold the signal for an hour of
highway driving or better.

Compared to their phones and phone services, its the best thing Sprint does
in my opinion.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 4:03:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <AsFtc.53$861.36@fe25.usenetserver.com>,
"Frank Thomas" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:10anf10hqgf1j3d@corp.supernews.com...
> > Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
> get
> > or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
> > what the advantage to one is over the other.
> >
> >
>
> I have the Merlin card with a $80 a month unlimited usage plan (which they
> offered for a while, then stopped offering, maybe they will bring it back).

They currently offer it. You don't look for it on the "Rates" page, you
look for it on the Business/Promotions page.

> I am impressed with the reliability and stability of the connection
> software, and the covereage we have in Florida (but I often use it out of
> state as well). Generally speaking, connections are as a good as a fast
> dialup or better, most of the time when downloading a file off the
> corporate site we have, I see transfer rates of 6-10 kbytes a sec (note: I
> see slower rates when in the Northeast). Sometimes when I am on the road, I
> drive with the laptop on, connected to the internet, and playing an internet
> radio station and most of the time I can hold the signal for an hour of
> highway driving or better.
>
> Compared to their phones and phone services, its the best thing Sprint does
> in my opinion.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 4:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:36:20 +0000, DavyDE wrote:

>
> "Captain" <capn@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:10anf10hqgf1j3d@corp.supernews.com...
>> Anyone have info on which of the pc cards on sprints site is the best to
> get
>> or even what the hell the differences really are, they don't really state
>> what the advantage to one is over the other.
>>
>> Capt.
>>
>>
>
> Get the lowest priced one. The all do the same thing. The Sierra Wireless
> Aircard just has the capability to make voice calls. The CF Yiso modem works
> with PocketPC's as well as laptops. That's it.

Not true! Most are 16 bit instead of 32 bit. The AirPrime 3200 and 3300
are 32 bit cardbus cards and will consume a lot less power and run cooler
as well. I don't care too much about the voice capability of the Sierra
cards and won't pay the extra money. The reason Sierra who now owns
AirPrime, came out with the 3300 is because many laptops do not provide
3.3 volts to the pcmcia cards like they should and the 3200 on some
systems shows up as part usb, part pcmcia and the OS gets confused. Notice
that the latest 3200 drivers also have usb support and can be used with
actual usb hookups? The 3300 relaxed the voltage requirements to slightly
lower than 3.3 v so the device is recognized by non standard pcmcia
voltages as a serial modem like the others and uses all the extra AT
commands you can do to fine tune it a bit. The 3200 and 3300 can realize
the limits of the current backbone with no trouble and I believe uploads
are full speed. I'm not sure if the 16 bit cards even run in full duplex.





Dave
!