echos on Sprint

Has anyone else been experiencing echos during voice calls? This started
just recently for me in the western PA area and I find it extremely
annoying.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:34:14 GMT, "Bob K." <bob1030@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone else been experiencing echos during voice calls? This started
>just recently for me in the western PA area and I find it extremely
>annoying.

Do you have the latest firmware version? I recall that at
least one firmware version on my Sanyo 4900 was specifically meant to
address echo problems in certain areas.

DGI

Here's a little bit of information about Echo Cancellers

http://www.arcx.com/sites/EchoCancellers.htm

They're in the provider's switch, which serves a part of a metro area,
not in the individual cell sites.

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> This has been attributed to faulty echo cancellers at the tower, except
> I have found this to vary by phone. I used to experience this a lot on
> Motorolla phones when I used Verizon several years ago.

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

The answer was posted earlier this year:

From: David G. Imber (imber@maniform.com)
Subject: Re: Sanyo 4900 firmware
Original FormatNewsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2004-01-09 23:24:43 PST

>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:51:34 -0800, "LC" <lcoop96@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

..

>> I'm on a friendly basis with my local SPCS store techs, who are
>> very competent. They'll simply say to me "you don't need this upgrade". One
>> recent upgrade addressed a problem with echo in certain areas. I didn't
>> need that one either. My 4900 is on 1.057 and my wife's is on 1.058.
>> Quality of operation is indistinguishable.
>>
>> DGI
>

>Interesting. I didn't think 1.058 ever exsisted.

Forgive me - I just checked. I'm on 1.056 and she's on 1.057. 1.057
was the one that purportedly addressed the echo, and I didn't upgrade
because I had no such problem. Hers is a refurb/replacement that came with
1.057 installed. And you're right, there was no 1.058. I had my numbers
mixed up. 1.059 is indeed the one that addressed roaming problems in
Virginia.

>This has been attributed to faulty echo cancellers at the tower, except
>I have found this to vary by phone. I used to experience this a lot on
>Motorolla phones when I used Verizon several years ago.

There are no echo cancelors at the tower site. Echo canceling is done at the
switch.

--
John S.

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

veldy@visi.com wrote

> What I was referring too actually,
> was that echos are not generally caused by the
> handset.

In the case of the Sanyo 4900, you are 100% wrong as there was a firmware
update to mitigate that issue.

I get this once in a while. oddly twice in the last week. makes the call
unusable. I have to hang up and call back.

I have never gotten it on an outgoing call. just incoming and its bad (sanyo
6400)

stopped now and has not returned but then again I do NOT use my phone that
much. i have 400 anytime minutes and I have to work hard to use them all up
:) really hard :)

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message