echos on Sprint

Has anyone else been experiencing echos during voice calls? This started
just recently for me in the western PA area and I find it extremely
annoying.
10 answers Last reply
More about echos sprint

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:34:14 GMT, "Bob K." <bob1030@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone else been experiencing echos during voice calls? This started
    >just recently for me in the western PA area and I find it extremely
    >annoying.

    Do you have the latest firmware version? I recall that at
    least one firmware version on my Sanyo 4900 was specifically meant to
    address echo problems in certain areas.

    DGI

    Here's a little bit of information about Echo Cancellers

    http://www.arcx.com/sites/EchoCancellers.htm

    They're in the provider's switch, which serves a part of a metro area,
    not in the individual cell sites.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > This has been attributed to faulty echo cancellers at the tower, except
    > I have found this to vary by phone. I used to experience this a lot on
    > Motorolla phones when I used Verizon several years ago.

    The answer was posted earlier this year:

    From: David G. Imber (imber@maniform.com)
    Subject: Re: Sanyo 4900 firmware
    Original FormatNewsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
    Date: 2004-01-09 23:24:43 PST

    >> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:51:34 -0800, "LC" <lcoop96@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

    ..

    >> I'm on a friendly basis with my local SPCS store techs, who are
    >> very competent. They'll simply say to me "you don't need this upgrade". One
    >> recent upgrade addressed a problem with echo in certain areas. I didn't
    >> need that one either. My 4900 is on 1.057 and my wife's is on 1.058.
    >> Quality of operation is indistinguishable.
    >>
    >> DGI
    >

    >Interesting. I didn't think 1.058 ever exsisted.

    Forgive me - I just checked. I'm on 1.056 and she's on 1.057. 1.057
    was the one that purportedly addressed the echo, and I didn't upgrade
    because I had no such problem. Hers is a refurb/replacement that came with
    1.057 installed. And you're right, there was no 1.058. I had my numbers
    mixed up. 1.059 is indeed the one that addressed roaming problems in
    Virginia.

    >This has been attributed to faulty echo cancellers at the tower, except
    >I have found this to vary by phone. I used to experience this a lot on
    >Motorolla phones when I used Verizon several years ago.

    There are no echo cancelors at the tower site. Echo canceling is done at the
    switch.

    --
    John S.

    veldy@visi.com wrote

    > What I was referring too actually,
    > was that echos are not generally caused by the
    > handset.

    In the case of the Sanyo 4900, you are 100% wrong as there was a firmware
    update to mitigate that issue.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I get this once in a while. oddly twice in the last week. makes the call
    unusable. I have to hang up and call back.

    I have never gotten it on an outgoing call. just incoming and its bad (sanyo
    6400)

    stopped now and has not returned but then again I do NOT use my phone that
    much. i have 400 anytime minutes and I have to work hard to use them all up
    :-) really hard :-)

    Chris Taylor
    http://www.zodiacreview.com/

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message