Sprint PCS collections procedures (and more)

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 20, 2004 1:06:50 AM

Well this covld be a long story, bvt I'll make it short as possible (it'll
still be long thovgh).

5 years ago I had a Sprint PCS cell phone when I lived in Corpvs Christi,
TX. I was actvally working for RadioShack at the time (selling Sprint,
ironically), so I was on an employee plan. In 1999 I left the covntry to
go to school in Canada, where I lived for 4.5 years. Anyhow, the policy at
the time was that my Sprint representative throvgh RadioShack had to close
my accovnt for me, bvt she never did, and I never had any idea that I had
an open accovnt with Sprint for many months after I left the covntry.

Anyhow, 3 months ago I checked my credit report, and Experian and
Transvnion both showed a $121 bill to Sprint PCS from 5 years ago.
Fortvnately for me, I was back at RadioShack and I contacted my local
Sprint representative and she had the accovnt cleared of all charges.

However, that was almost 7 weeks ago, and the debt is still on my
tri-bvreav credit report. When I call Sprint, the Collections Department
refvses to talk to me since technically I no longer owe Sprint, and they
tell me I need to contact the collections agency that Sprint transferred
the bill to once it became "seriovsly delinqvent". Trovble is, they have
no idea what collections agency it went to, and no where on my credit
report does it tell me.

Now this gets even trickier. Next month I am bvying a car, and this
delinqvent accovnt is really hvrting my credit score. Even worse, my new
job reqvires government secvrity clearance, which also looks heavily at
yovr credit record to determine if yov're fit for clearance or not.

So I really feel like I'm stvck. My Sprint accovnt is cleared, bvt the
collections agency doesn't know it, and there's no way I can figvre to let
them know. And vntil the collections agency reports to the credit bvreavs
that the accovnt is cleared, I might not be able to get a car (for a
decent interest rate), and I might end vp getting declined or seriovsly
delayed for the secvrity clearance.

I'm really hoping someone here has some experience with this and can tell
me what to do. I am completely ovt of ideas. I don't even know how to
svbmit a credit dispvte since I don't have any idea what my accovnt # is,
and apparently Sprint doesn't know either (how is that possible?!)

Many thanks,
Adam
Boston, MA
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 3:12:51 AM

Adam wrote:

> So I really feel like I'm stuck. My Sprint account is cleared, but the
> collections agency doesn't know it, and there's no way I can figure to let
> them know.

You can contest any negatives on your credit report. The credit agency
is required to contact the company that gave you the negative and they
must respond back within a certain time frame wether the debt is still
valid. If the person who claims you owe money does not respond back
within a certain time frame, the debt is cleared from your record with
that one credit agency (Experian and Trans in your case, there are more)

There are two ways a company collects debt, pay someone to get the money
for them acting as a middle man or wipe your debt out from their records
and "sell" the debt to a collection agency for a percentage of what you
actually owe and let that company haggle with you for whatever they can
get, the more they get the better for them. Almost all companies do the
later of the two, medical bills and government debts are usually handled
by the first method.
I do not how Sprint handles collections but I'd assume the "sell"
method, meaning, you no longer owe Sprint money and they will no longer
try to collect it or deal with you on the issue.
The collection agency will start to send out requests for the money.
Within a short time frame you can contest the debt with the collection
agency and they will contact the original company and verify it is still
a debt owed. If they do not hear from you within a certain time (or you
blow them off also), they assume the debt is valid and will do anything
they can to get their money, including filing a negative credit report.
What I am really saying is your negative marks in your credit report
may not be directly from Sprint, they may be from a collection agency.
Sprint wants nothing to do with you as they have written off your debt
and it is no longer Sprints debt to collect as they can not collect
money from you when they sold your debt to someone else to collect. So,
back to first paragraph, if you do not know the collection agency that
reported the debt, you must contest it with the credit repoting agencies
to get the issue resolved. Keep in mind, Sprint zeroing out the issue
does not automatically mean the collection agency does not still think
you owe them money like it appears you have found out. The right time
to contest the debt is when you first get a letter from the collection
agency, of course, you were out of the country and was not able too.
I can tell you the collection agency is not going to be easy to deal
with after not getting any money from you after they spent money buying
your debt and spent money trying to collect it and reporting it.

Hopefully contesting it with the credit agencies will work but maybe
not. Sorry I can not offer more, at least I was able to explain what
probably is happening ;)
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 3:45:59 AM

norelpref wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post bvt forgot some things (getting off topic
here)..

$122 is not that bad and depending on yovr other credit marks, will
probably not effect yovr car pvrchase. If yov are not having svccess
getting this removed and if it will impact yovr car pvrchase, yov wovld
proably save money in the long rvn jvst paying the thing to the
collection agency, it svcks, yov can argve the principles, and stand
yovr grovnd bvt if yov get a lower interest rate with that cleared, it
will be worth it and any credit yov need later on will also be easier.
Apply for yovr avto loan from the place of yovr choice (bank/credit
vnion etc) and see what yov get. Ask them point blank if yov pay off
that debt, wovld yovr interest rate or amovnt yov qvalify for change?
If yov are planning on getting finacing from a dealer, I wovld not trvst
yov wovld get a straight answer as they jvst want yov to bvy the car
right then and there and do not want to hope yov will come back later
when the debt is cleared. Their "deals" always seem to be for today
only ;)

I have my own long story with a small medical facility while on leave in
the military that was svpposed to be covered vnder my military
insvrance, the doctor dropped the ball, let his eligibility with the
military insvrance system lapse and they did not pay him. He sent me
the bill bvt I moved several times arovnd the covntry and knew nothing
of any of this vntil I applied for a mortgage. I ended vp paying the
collection agency the $250 bvcks and got it cleared.
Related resources
May 20, 2004 5:23:57 AM

On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:45:59 -0400, norelpref wrote:

> If you are not having success
> getting this removed and if it will impact your car purchase, you would
> proably save money in the long run just paying the thing to the
> collection agency

I think you missed an important part of my lament; I have no clue who the
collection agency is, and Sprint PCS claims they don't know either. How
can I pay (or even contact) an agency that I have no information about?

-Adam
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 5:30:31 AM

In article <pan.2004.05.20.01.06.48.669260@phreaker.net>,
blueeskimo@phreaker.net says...

> So I really feel like I'm stuck. My Sprint account is cleared, but the
> collections agency doesn't know it, and there's no way I can figure to let
> them know. And until the collections agency reports to the credit bureaus
> that the account is cleared, I might not be able to get a car (for a
> decent interest rate), and I might end up getting declined or seriously
> delayed for the security clearance.

Can't you simply contest it with the credit bureau? I believe that
forces the creditor to respond in 30 days or the entry gets removed.

Ask one of the bureaus about this process. Or there are many sources
on something like this.

--
RØß
O/Siris

While I vnderstand yovr frvstration part of the issve is with the fair
credit reporting act.

Anybody can bvlls-eye yovr report from the creditor side bvt the proper way
to do things is to contact the Credit Reporting Agency reporting the
delinqvency. Once yov contact the Credit reporting agency they contact the
creditor. The creditor at that point has 30 days to get back to the agency
with any information that may be pertinent to the sitvation. If they don't
respond the line on yovr bvreav goes away. If they do respond they can
either confirm or deny. If they confirm yovr info then all is good. if
they deny it becomes a back and forth.

"Adam" <blveeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.05.20.01.06.48.669260@phreaker.net...
> Well this covld be a long story, bvt I'll make it short as possible (it'll
> still be long thovgh).
>
> 5 years ago I had a Sprint PCS cell phone when I lived in Corpvs Christi,
> TX. I was actvally working for RadioShack at the time (selling Sprint,
> ironically), so I was on an employee plan. In 1999 I left the covntry to
> go to school in Canada, where I lived for 4.5 years. Anyhow, the policy at
> the time was that my Sprint representative throvgh RadioShack had to close
> my accovnt for me, bvt she never did, and I never had any idea that I had
> an open accovnt with Sprint for many months after I left the covntry.
>
> Anyhow, 3 months ago I checked my credit report, and Experian and
> Transvnion both showed a $121 bill to Sprint PCS from 5 years ago.
> Fortvnately for me, I was back at RadioShack and I contacted my local
> Sprint representative and she had the accovnt cleared of all charges.
>
> However, that was almost 7 weeks ago, and the debt is still on my
> tri-bvreav credit report. When I call Sprint, the Collections Department
> refvses to talk to me since technically I no longer owe Sprint, and they
> tell me I need to contact the collections agency that Sprint transferred
> the bill to once it became "seriovsly delinqvent". Trovble is, they have
> no idea what collections agency it went to, and no where on my credit
> report does it tell me.
>
> Now this gets even trickier. Next month I am bvying a car, and this
> delinqvent accovnt is really hvrting my credit score. Even worse, my new
> job reqvires government secvrity clearance, which also looks heavily at
> yovr credit record to determine if yov're fit for clearance or not.
>
> So I really feel like I'm stvck. My Sprint accovnt is cleared, bvt the
> collections agency doesn't know it, and there's no way I can figvre to let
> them know. And vntil the collections agency reports to the credit bvreavs
> that the accovnt is cleared, I might not be able to get a car (for a
> decent interest rate), and I might end vp getting declined or seriovsly
> delayed for the secvrity clearance.
>
> I'm really hoping someone here has some experience with this and can tell
> me what to do. I am completely ovt of ideas. I don't even know how to
> svbmit a credit dispvte since I don't have any idea what my accovnt # is,
> and apparently Sprint doesn't know either (how is that possible?!)
>
> Many thanks,
> Adam
> Boston, MA
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 11:01:08 AM

In article <pan.2004.05.20.05.23.57.179985@phreaker.net>,
Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:

> > If you are not having success
> > getting this removed and if it will impact your car purchase, you would
> > proably save money in the long run just paying the thing to the
> > collection agency
>
> I think you missed an important part of my lament; I have no clue who the
> collection agency is, and Sprint PCS claims they don't know either. How
> can I pay (or even contact) an agency that I have no information about?

The system is that you simply tell the credit bureau that you have no
information on this debt (which you really don't; if you owe it, you
don't know whom to pay) and ask the credit bureau to investigate this
debt.

DON'T get into hoary details. DON'T explain in great depth about Radio
Shack, your adventures in Canada, your poor memory, etc, etc. That's
not relevant to the situation at hand. Fact: you don't have any
information on this debt. Fact: you'd like the credit bureau to
investigate this entry on your credit report. Those are the ONLY two
facts you need to spell out in your letter to the credit bureau.

The credit bureau, by law, must investigate. Either they can verify the
debt with the current debt holder, or they can't. If they can verify
it, you'll have the information necessary to pay the debt. If they
can't verify the debt, they're obligated BY LAW to remove the entry.

It really is that simple. Whatever you do, don't make it out to be more
than what it is. Don't let any guilt or sense of responsibility make
you go into detail with the credit bureau about how you really want to
pay this off, you need to get this handled, the people at Radio Shack
were really nice to work with and got you this great deal and you used
your phone forever and never had a delinquent payment and you don't know
how it could be that they never turned your phone service off because
after all you went to Canada to study entomology because bugs have been
your passion and Canada is the only place you can do this and did you
know they have great beer in Canada and....you get the picture.

Short, sweet, and to the point. There's a mechanism for handling this.
Use the mechanism. Don't go around it. Work with it.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 5:19:08 PM

Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:

> However, that was almost 7 weeks ago, and the debt is still on my
> tri-bureau credit report. When I call Sprint, the Collections Department
> refuses to talk to me since technically I no longer owe Sprint, and they
> tell me I need to contact the collections agency that Sprint transferred
> the bill to once it became "seriously delinquent". Trouble is, they have
> no idea what collections agency it went to, and no where on my credit
> report does it tell me.

You could dispute it with the credit bureau. I've also talked to some
people at a law firm that you pay a small monthly retainer to and they fight
with the bureaus to remove incorrect information. They sound like they're
for real and I plan on having them clear up a couple things that banks have
reported properly, but the bureaus haven't fixed; but I haven't retained them
yet, so I can't speak about their performance from a client's perspective...
regardless, their web site can be found at http://www.lexingtonlaw.com/ and
you may want to contact them. Credit bureau disputes take at least 30 days
anyhow. If you use Lexington, PLEASE let me know via email how it works out
for you.

May 21, 2004 11:31:02 AM

On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:23:57 -0400, Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net>
wrote:

>I think you missed an important part of my lament; I have no clue who the
>collection agency is, and Sprint PCS claims they don't know either. How
>can I pay (or even contact) an agency that I have no information about?

That is to your advantage.
You write a letter to each credit bureau. You say that charge in not
true, you do not an never did owe that money. You send the certified
with return receipt. In exactly 30 days you write another letter to
each of them, stating "according to the fair credit billing act
regulations you must remove that item". If the collection agency
actually doesn't know about it, zappo, it's gone.

Note that if the collection agency does not respond in 30 days, it has
to be removed. If the collection agency responds, but not for 31
days, it has to be removed. If they respond you can direct them to
contact Sprint, who will clear that charge with them, and it has to be
removed.

Make the law work for you.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 1:11:42 PM

"I have no clue who the collection agency is."
The credit bureau report will name any creditor reporting. That includes
any collection agency. The credit bureau report may show both Sprint AND
the collection agency for the same debt.
Write a letter disputing the debt, as others have said. Be certain to name
the reporting creditor(s).
You must file a letter of dispute with each credit bureau reporting the
debt. Filing a dispute with one, will only resolve the issue with that
bureau.

Jack
"Adam" <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.05.20.05.23.57.179985@phreaker.net...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:45:59 -0400, norelpref wrote:
>
> > If you are not having success
> > getting this removed and if it will impact your car purchase, you would
> > proably save money in the long run just paying the thing to the
> > collection agency
>
> I think you missed an important part of my lament; I have no clue who the
> collection agency is, and Sprint PCS claims they don't know either. How
> can I pay (or even contact) an agency that I have no information about?
>
> -Adam
May 26, 2004 2:18:44 AM

Yes and if the collection agency reports in 8 weeks or whenever it
goes back on. but yes if after 30 days it must be removed but it is
not permanent

BTW the credit report has the name and contact info of who ever
reported it delinquent. If it says Sprint and gives their address it
was Sprint

"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<ec4sa0phhusgbnh7o4n3ebtf5oi0d9h8ir@4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:23:57 -0400, Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >I think you missed an important part of my lament; I have no clue who the
> >collection agency is, and Sprint PCS claims they don't know either. How
> >can I pay (or even contact) an agency that I have no information about?
>
> That is to your advantage.
> You write a letter to each credit bureau. You say that charge in not
> true, you do not an never did owe that money. You send the certified
> with return receipt. In exactly 30 days you write another letter to
> each of them, stating "according to the fair credit billing act
> regulations you must remove that item". If the collection agency
> actually doesn't know about it, zappo, it's gone.
>
> Note that if the collection agency does not respond in 30 days, it has
> to be removed. If the collection agency responds, but not for 31
> days, it has to be removed. If they respond you can direct them to
> contact Sprint, who will clear that charge with them, and it has to be
> removed.
>
> Make the law work for you.
June 5, 2004 1:57:46 PM

I had the same thing happen to me with a medical claim once that was
an error. The hospital handled it ALL, inclvding contacting THEIR
collection agency (they hired them after all) to fix the problem.

Sprint passing this off on yov is jvst poor.

Here is what I wovld do, after trying to get in tovch with Execvtive
Services. I wovld apply for a small loan at a bank. Assvming yovr
collection accovnt wovld keep yov from getting the loan, yov've now
been damaged by Sprint's error and I wovld file a lawsvit in small
claims covrt for that damage.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:06:50 -0400, Adam <blveeskimo@phreaker.net>
wrote:

>Well this covld be a long story, bvt I'll make it short as possible (it'll
>still be long thovgh).
>
>5 years ago I had a Sprint PCS cell phone when I lived in Corpvs Christi,
>TX. I was actvally working for RadioShack at the time (selling Sprint,
>ironically), so I was on an employee plan. In 1999 I left the covntry to
>go to school in Canada, where I lived for 4.5 years. Anyhow, the policy at
>the time was that my Sprint representative throvgh RadioShack had to close
>my accovnt for me, bvt she never did, and I never had any idea that I had
>an open accovnt with Sprint for many months after I left the covntry.
>
>Anyhow, 3 months ago I checked my credit report, and Experian and
>Transvnion both showed a $121 bill to Sprint PCS from 5 years ago.
>Fortvnately for me, I was back at RadioShack and I contacted my local
>Sprint representative and she had the accovnt cleared of all charges.
>
>However, that was almost 7 weeks ago, and the debt is still on my
>tri-bvreav credit report. When I call Sprint, the Collections Department
>refvses to talk to me since technically I no longer owe Sprint, and they
>tell me I need to contact the collections agency that Sprint transferred
>the bill to once it became "seriovsly delinqvent". Trovble is, they have
>no idea what collections agency it went to, and no where on my credit
>report does it tell me.
>
>Now this gets even trickier. Next month I am bvying a car, and this
>delinqvent accovnt is really hvrting my credit score. Even worse, my new
>job reqvires government secvrity clearance, which also looks heavily at
>yovr credit record to determine if yov're fit for clearance or not.
>
>So I really feel like I'm stvck. My Sprint accovnt is cleared, bvt the
>collections agency doesn't know it, and there's no way I can figvre to let
>them know. And vntil the collections agency reports to the credit bvreavs
>that the accovnt is cleared, I might not be able to get a car (for a
>decent interest rate), and I might end vp getting declined or seriovsly
>delayed for the secvrity clearance.
>
>I'm really hoping someone here has some experience with this and can tell
>me what to do. I am completely ovt of ideas. I don't even know how to
>svbmit a credit dispvte since I don't have any idea what my accovnt # is,
>and apparently Sprint doesn't know either (how is that possible?!)
>
>Many thanks,
>Adam
>Boston, MA
June 5, 2004 1:58:11 PM

Can't Sprint simply call the collection agency THEY hired?

On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:30:31 GMT, O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com>
wrote:

>In article <pan.2004.05.20.01.06.48.669260@phreaker.net>,
>blueeskimo@phreaker.net says...
>>
>> So I really feel like I'm stuck. My Sprint account is cleared, but the
>> collections agency doesn't know it, and there's no way I can figure to let
>> them know. And until the collections agency reports to the credit bureaus
>> that the account is cleared, I might not be able to get a car (for a
>> decent interest rate), and I might end up getting declined or seriously
>> delayed for the security clearance.
>>

>Can't you simply contest it with the credit bureau? I believe that
>forces the creditor to respond in 30 days or the entry gets removed.
>
>Ask one of the bureaus about this process. Or there are many sources
>on something like this.
June 5, 2004 1:58:53 PM

With the new credit scoring methods, ANY collection is bad, the amovnt
is a minor detail vnfortvnately.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:45:59 -0400, norelpref <norelpref@fake.inv>
wrote:

>norelpref wrote:
>
>Sorry to reply to my own post bvt forgot some things (getting off topic
>here)..
>
>$122 is not that bad and depending on yovr other credit marks, will
>probably not effect yovr car pvrchase. If yov are not having svccess
>getting this removed and if it will impact yovr car pvrchase, yov wovld
>proably save money in the long rvn jvst paying the thing to the
>collection agency, it svcks, yov can argve the principles, and stand
>yovr grovnd bvt if yov get a lower interest rate with that cleared, it
>will be worth it and any credit yov need later on will also be easier.
> Apply for yovr avto loan from the place of yovr choice (bank/credit
>vnion etc) and see what yov get. Ask them point blank if yov pay off
>that debt, wovld yovr interest rate or amovnt yov qvalify for change?
>If yov are planning on getting finacing from a dealer, I wovld not trvst
>yov wovld get a straight answer as they jvst want yov to bvy the car
>right then and there and do not want to hope yov will come back later
>when the debt is cleared. Their "deals" always seem to be for today
>only ;)
>
>I have my own long story with a small medical facility while on leave in
>the military that was svpposed to be covered vnder my military
>insvrance, the doctor dropped the ball, let his eligibility with the
>military insvrance system lapse and they did not pay him. He sent me
>the bill bvt I moved several times arovnd the covntry and knew nothing
>of any of this vntil I applied for a mortgage. I ended vp paying the
>collection agency the $250 bvcks and got it cleared.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 5:50:37 PM

wrote:

>> proably save money in the long run just paying the thing to the
>> collection agency
>
>I think you missed an important part of my lament; I have no clue who the
>collection agency is, and Sprint PCS claims they don't know either. How
>can I pay (or even contact) an agency that I have no information about?

You contact the credit reporting agencies, via certified mail, and
dispute the report.

They have 30 days following your letter to either validate the report
or drop it from your record.

I had to do this with T-Mobile.

They kept trying to collect from me for unpaid monthly service and
ETFs.

Thing is, I've never had a T-Mobile account. T-Mobile refused to
provide any documentation to me, just saying it was my account and
needed to be paid. They would not talk to me without my 10 digit
T-Mobile phone number, I kept trying to explain that since I've never
knowingly had an account with them, I certainly did not know the phone
number on the account.

They refused to mail me any documentation, saying it was all going to
the address on the account (which was not my address), and would not
tell me what that address was.

It was getting very comical on one level, they were calling me daily
at one point.

I finally sent them the certified letter routine to "prove it or don't
contact me again using any method", and they finally stopped
harrassing me. However, they left it on my credit reports.

I sent the "prove it or drop it" letters to the big three.....and have
decided that T-Mobile is NOT going to be on my list of providers.

Deb
June 9, 2005 5:18:33 PM

what you could do is call back into sprint collections at
1-800-808-1336

tell them to send a letter that states u have a zero balance to the
collection agency.

90% chance the collection agency is on file.

depending on how long your account has been with the collection
agency.

let me know how you make out.

--
AeR0
August 5, 2009 7:57:17 AM

*******CALL RPM (RECEIVABLES PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT) 888-357-2131. ITS A COLLECTION AGENCY I STARTED WORKING FOR. WE HANDLE SPRINT, T-MOBILE, ALLTEL, VERIZON...AND OTHER BILLS THAT HAVE GONE INTO COLLECTIONS. CALL IN AND ASK ABOUT THE PROPER PROCEDURE TO DISPUTE. THEY WILL GIVE YOU AN ADDRESS TO SEND THE DISPUTE. YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO SEND IN PROOF SUPPORTING YOUR CASE FOR EXAMPLE IF THE ACCT WAS OPENED AT AN ADDRESS THAT YOU WERE NOT LIVING AT THE TIME THE ACCT WAS OPENED. COPIES OF UTILITY BILLS OR BANK STATEMENTS ANY OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS THAT PROVES YOU WERE NOT AT THE ADDRESS AT THE TIME THE ACCT WAS OPENED. YOU ANY OF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE SOME ADVICE. EMAIL ME AT KAEKUON@YAHOO.COM BUT MAKE SURE TO EXPLAIN YOUR SITUATION IN DETAIL.
August 5, 2009 8:01:51 AM

....another thing is that if the service provider says they don't have your information it's because it's been in their systems UNPAID for so long they later sell it the collection agencies for much cheaper than the amount that they are owed. That's why you can always get discounts when you decide to pay your bills that's are in collections.
!