Connect to nearest AP

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hi guys;

Basically I have a wireless router on the ground floor of my house, it works fine and everything is okay. upstairs is a different story, the signal strength is not that great, I stream a lot of videos upstairs, and the buffering is extremely annoying. So i used an old Linksys router upstairs as an access point. Now I have great wireless signal upstairs too. The only issue is that when I take wireless devices upstairs after they have already connected to the router downstairs, they won't automatically connect to the one upstairs. I have to do it manually.

So my question is: is there away for my laptops, phones, tablets etc to automatically connect to the AP on the same floor as itself?

Oh by the way, if it helps the wireless devices I am using are iPhone's, Samsung Galaxy's. Google Nexus and a few Windows Laptops.

Thanks in advanced
Rob

Nope working as designed. You can to a point adjust the signal strength at which it will drop and go looking for another. This is to prevent it from swaping back and forth when 2 signals are similar in strength and the slight fluctuations.

There is no way to actually do this transparently. There are commercial systems that can. Even if it does it automatically you will get a interruption while it renegotiates all the security info and mac address stuff with the new ap.

In your case as long as your PC get a good enough signal it will never drop the first even though a new one is much better. Your option are to manually do it as you are or put the device in a metal box or something for a few seconds to cause it to lose the signal from the orginal AP.

If you have the same network name on both devices, it should work together as long as you set them as an extender and not as two separate routers. I have set up these type of roaming wifi networks before, back in the days where a 11mb wifi connection was top of the line.