PC wont detect Ethernet Cable

Hey everyone,

Ive just recently (2 months) been having problems with my internet connection. I started experiencing really frequent internet drop outs and did some research on my modem, Netgear CG3000 and found out that it was a heap of crap and everyone had the same problem. So finally after a long wait I received a new modem from my inter provider (Optus) and what do you know my computer cant detect an ethernet cable. Im fairly positive that it has to be my computer because the internet is working wirelessly. But my PC cant get any internet connection through the ethernet. At the moment im using a wireless adapter usb for my pc but want to get the speed of internet i fork out money for every month. Here is my ipconfig/all:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SMOOTHY>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SMOOTHY-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Ban
d USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-3D-C7-BE-5D-2C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4cad:e2b4:1d86:4a04%16(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.13(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 5 March 2013 9:44:12 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 29 June 2013 3:30:55 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 381959623
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-7C-AA-5E-BC-5F-F4-55-D1-7F

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 211.29.152.116
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-5F-F4-55-D1-7F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7866B1FB-4C16-4A6D-8D85-C9D3D65576A5}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:38de:2fd:c594:166c(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38de:2fd:c594:166c%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{51F0DFFA-6B26-4251-AA09-9399ED978993}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Let me know any other information you might need to help me and I will try and get it for you. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I cant handle these problems anymore and have to keep paying money for it. Cheers
12 answers Last reply
More about wont detect ethernet cable
  1. Which version of Windows 7? There is a pretty easy fix for Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise with the policy editor. Home Premium is more of a task. Take a look HERE to start.

I will assume that you already checked the cable and router ports by other testing, as those could also be an issue, but my guess is that it is the usual Windows 7 unidentified network issue.
  2. Its Windows 7 Ultimate 64, and i have tested cables and different router ports.
  3. I looked through that page, and all the options they wanted me to change were already chosen. So i dont think that is the issue.
  4. Any further information needed to try fix this problem?
  5. If that doesn't work, then there are a bunch of other things that could fix it, but it becomes a matter of systematically trying a lot of things.

Have you already tried the other Ethernet port? Do both ports show up in the device manager and say that they are working properly?

An unidentified network can be a difficult issue (as shown by some threads HERE ) and some of the things that are often successful in fixing it include deleting the Ethernet adapters and then re-installing the latest available driver; right click on the adapter in network control panel and disable it, then re-enable it; Norton products can cause this, so try uninstalling them temporarily; the Apple Bonjour service can cause it, so turn that off in services; turn off IPv6 in the adapter control panel settings -- just uncheck it; and there are a number of command prompt commands that can clear the problem (disconnect the network cable first) and then go through these commands -- you will want to use an elevated command prompt so right click and run as admin to open it:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    netsh int reset all

after a few moments reattach your Ethernet cable and try to get an IP address with:
    ipconfig /renew in the command prompt window.
  6. I only have one ethernet port and it still says cable unplugged when it is plugged in. I just tried all of those things and it hasnt fixed it. Its weird because sometimes it detects the cable for about a minute then will not detect it for the rest of the day. Could the port be dead even though my computer is only two months old.
  7. It could be the Ethernet adapter, what does the properties page say in the Device Manager for the adapter? Working properly? If not, try re-installing the driver.
  8. If it was working on the previous modem (even if it dropped out) but isn't working with the new one then I might try this:

1. Make sure the actual cable is a working cable
    2. Grab the latest drivers from the manufacturer of the network card installed on your computer (or the motherboard drivers if it's built in)
    3. Try connecting it directly to another computer. If it doesn't work on another computer then it could be the ports of the modem not working which is somewhat rare but does happen.. you could still have wifi but have bad ports.
    4. Try disabling the Wifi connection then plug it in again:

1. Click on Start
    2. Type: Network Connections
    3. Click View network connections
    4. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection
    5. Click Disable

or

1. Right click on the wireless icon on the task bar
    2. Click Open Network and Sharing
    3. Click (on right panel) Change adapter Settings
    4. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection
    5. Click Disable

If you are able to connect via the Ethernet cable then it was Windows simply choosing the current Wifi connection over the Ethernet connection.
  9. In device manager under other devices there is an SM Bus Controller with the yellow exclamation mark symbol? Could the problem have something to do with this, it says the drivers for this device arent isntalled but when i try to search for them there are none.
  10. Fixed the SM Bus Controller issue and it didnt fix the port problem.
  11. Any further help for this problem is still needed :)
  12. ugh, bruh same problem happens with me , i am also looking for its solution. I hope somebody can help us. I tried connecting my modem to other PC with ethernet cable my modem works fine but it does not detect it on pc so i brought my friend's modem and tried to connect it with my pc it worked fine but my modem does not work on my pc else it works on other pc and my ethernet port is fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Ethernet Card Internet Connection Networking