dedicated servers

by the way the game i have this with is halo...so if you
know how to play on your own dedicated server...please
email or post

thank you!
1 answer Last reply
More about dedicated servers

    Jim,

    Hope this helps.

    Microsoft Halo PC Dedicated Server Readme File
    October 2003, v1.02
    © Microsoft Corporation, 2001-2003. All rights reserved.

    Welcome to Halo for the PC Dedicated Server!

    This file contains information to help you setup, run and troubleshoot the
    Halo Dedicated Server. The Halo Dedicated Server is definitely an advanced
    feature, not designed for the casual user. This document is written assuming
    the reader is familiar with running dedicated game servers, as well as
    having advanced computer knowledge.

    NOTE: HALO DEDICATED SERVER IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

    CONTENTS

    A. Dedicated Server v1.02 Features
    B. System Requirements
    C. Installation
    D. Running Halo Dedicated Server
    E. init.txt configuration file
    F. Running multiple instances
    G. Using Remote Console
    H. Console Commands
    I. Getting Help
    J. Known Issues and Workarounds
    K. Versions History

    A. Dedicated Server Features

    The Halo Dedicated Server v1.02 includes:

    * Stand-alone application.
    * Flexible multiple instances support.
    * Client RCon (Remote Console) functionality.
    * Command line execution.
    * Kicking and banning players.
    * Pre-defined / custom game type and map rotation support.
    * Password protected servers.

    B. System Requirements

    Halo Dedicated Server requires a personal computer with the following
    minimum requirements:

    * Multimedia personal computer with a 733 MHz or higher processor.
    * Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Service Pack 1, or Windows XP.

    * 128 Megabytes (MB) of RAM.
    * 200 MB of available hard disk space.
    * Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.
    * Broadband internet connection.

    These differ from the retail version of Halo for the PC by not requiring:
    * 8× CD-ROM drive.
    * 32 MB 3D hardware-transform-and-lighting-capable video display.
    * Sound card and speakers or headphones.
    * DirectX 9.0b.

    To run an optimal Halo Dedicated Server, a personal computer with the
    following requirements is recommended:
    * Personal computer with a 1.4 GHz or higher processor.
    * Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server (with all service packs installed)
    * 256 Megabytes (MB) of RAM or more.
    * 200 GB of available hard disk space.
    * Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.

    When running multiple instances on a server, these requirements have to be
    adjusted to account for the additional resources required.

    C. Installation

    Halo Dedicated Server is released in two different self-extracting files:

    Halo_DS_1_02.exe
    This self-extracting file includes the Halo Dedicated Server binary files.
    When we release updates to the dedicated server, these will be the only
    files you need to update.

    Halo_DS_Maps_1_02.exe
    This self-extracting file includes the multiplayer maps required to run Halo
    Dedicated Server. You only need to download these once. If you already have
    the full retail Halo game installed on your server, you do not need to
    download the maps at all; the server will use the maps that were installed
    by the game.

    To install: double-click these files and follow the on-screen instructions.

    D. Running Halo Dedicated Server

    1. Browse to your Halo Dedicated Server installation directory.

    2. Double-click haloded.exe.

    This will open a console window and you will have access to the Halo
    Dedicated Server console command line.

    E. init.txt configuration file

    Halo Dedicated Server uses init.txt file (located in the installation
    directory) to pre-set some of the server options and setup map cycling. Any
    console command can be invoked in the init.txt file (see Console Commands
    below
    for a list of available console commands).

    For example, to launch a server with the following parameters:
    * Name: "Halo_DS"
    * Listed on the GameSpy Master Server list? Yes
    * Maximum number players: 12
    * Password: "halo"
    * Timeout between maps rotations: 15 seconds

    Create the following init.txt file:

    sv_name Halo_DS
    sv_public True
    sv_maxplayers 12
    sv_password halo
    sv_mapcycle_timeout 15

    To setup map cycling, you need to create a game entries map cycling list (a
    game entry is a map name and a game type). To do so, simply use the
    sv_mapcycle_add command in the init.txt file.

    For example, to have the following maps and game types cycle:
    * Timberland CTF
    * Danger Canyon Assault
    * Gephyrophobia Slayer
    * Blood Gulch Crazy King

    Add the following lines to the init.txt file:

    sv_mapcycle_add timberland CTF
    sv_mapcycle_add dangercanyon assault
    sv_mapcycle_add gephyrophobia slayer
    sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "crazy king"

    Then, to start the dedicated server, use the following command:
    sv_mapcycle_begin.

    Every time you launch haloded.exe, it will look for init.txt for
    initialization
    (unless you specify a different file using -exec. See below for more details
    on
    -exec).

    For the previous example, the final init.txt file would look like this:

    sv_name Halo_DS
    sv_public True
    sv_maxplayers 12
    sv_password halo
    sv_mapcycle_timeout 15
    sv_mapcycle_add timberland CTF
    sv_mapcycle_add dangercanyon assault
    sv_mapcycle_add gephyrophobia slayer
    sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "crazy king"
    sv_mapcycle_begin

    The default game types available are the following:

    oddball
    slayer
    juggernaut
    king
    crazy king
    race
    ctf
    assault
    team slayer
    team oddball
    team race

    Classic game variants are also supported as default game types (check out
    the
    retail version of Halo for a list of all classic game variants).

    You can create custom game types (using the full retail version of Halo) and
    include these game types on your server rotation. This would enable you, for
    example, to include a Rockets only game on your server rotation. To do so,
    follow these steps:

    * Launch the full retail version of Halo.
    * Under Multiplayer, choose Edit Game Types.
    * Create a new game type (refer to the Halo documentation if you need
    help to do this).
    * Save your new game type.
    * Quit Halo.
    * Open your Halo save games folder (by default, this would be "My
    Documents\My Games\Halo\savegames").
    * You will see the name of the custom game type you created as a folder
    directory.
    * Make sure this folder is available on your server (in the same location
    on disk).
    * Use the name of your custom game type in your mapcycle.txt file.

    With this release, the dedicated server is dependent on access to your save
    games folder. This will be addressed in an upcoming release.

    F. Running multiple instances

    Halo Dedicated Server supports multiple instances running on one computer.
    Obviously, each of these instances must be using a different network port.
    See
    below for instructions on how to launch multiple instances of Halo Dedicated
    Server. The maximum number of instances that can be run on a server is 8.

    When running multiple instances, each instance will use its own init.txt
    file.

    Here is an example on how to run multiple instances, assuming Halo Dedicated
    Server is installed in the E:\HaloPC folder:

    E:\HaloPC\haloded.exe -exec e:\halopc\init1.txt -cpu 0 -port 2301
    E:\HaloPC\haloded.exe -exec e:\halopc\init2.txt -cpu 1 -port 2305
    E:\HaloPC\haloded.exe -exec e:\halopc\init3.txt -cpu 0 -port 2307

    Three command line arguments are specific to running Halo Dedicated Server
    with
    multiple instances:

    -exec
    Specify which init.txt file to use for this instance of the dedicated
    server.
    The name of this file can be any name.

    -cpu
    When using a multi-processor computer (SMP) server, it is possible to
    instruct
    Halo Dedicated Server to run on a specific CPU. To do so, use the -cpu n
    command line argument (where n is a given CPU, 0 being the first one).

    -port
    Different instances must, obviously, use different ports. -port is used to
    specify the port for the instance being launched. If a port is not specified
    the server will automatically choose an open port though the chosen port is
    not
    reported.

    G. Using RCon

    By default RCon (remote connection) to a server is disabled. To enable it,
    you
    must specify an RCon password. You do this using the following console
    command:

    sv_rcon_password password

    Once RCon is enabled on a server, any client can send it commands using the
    following console command:

    rcon password command argument

    password is the RCon password to the server the client is connected to.
    command is one of the server console commands (see Console Commands below).
    argument is the argument to the server console command.

    H. Console Commands

    The following commands are server specific console commands:

    cls
    Clear the console text.

    help [command]
    Tell you about the command.

    quit
    Quit Halo for the PC dedicated server.

    sv_ban [player name or index]
    Ban the player with the given name or index. However, this doesn't kick them
    out of the game however.

    sv_banlist
    Show the list of the banned players.

    sv_end_game
    End the currently running game. This will proceed to the next game in the
    map
    cycling game entries list.

    sv_kick [player index or name]
    Kick the player with the given name or index out of the game.

    sv_map [map name] [game variant]
    Start a game with the indicated map and game variant. When the game is over,
    this game will restart itself. This command supersedes any map cycle the
    server
    has.

    sv_mapcycle
    Show game list.

    sv_mapcycle_add [map name] [game variant]
    Append this game entry (map name and game type) to the end of the game list.

    sv_mapcycle_begin
    Start the map cycling with the specified game entries.

    sv_mapcycle_del [index]
    Delete the game entry from the map cycling game list (use sv_mapcycle to get
    game IDs).

    sv_mapcycle_timeout n
    Time in seconds to restart the next game in the game list after game is
    finished (this determines how long clients are sitting at the post carnage
    report screen).

    sv_map_next
    End the current game and skip to the next game in the map cycling game
    entries
    list.

    sv_map_restart
    Restart the game.

    sv_maxplayers n (Default value is 16)
    Set the maximum number players. This should be done in the init.txt file,
    before map cycling begins.

    sv_name [string] (Default value is "Halo")
    Set the server name (15 characters max). This should be done in the init.txt
    file, before map cycling begins.

    sv_password [string]
    Set password for server. This should be done in the init.txt file, before
    map
    cycling begins.

    sv_players
    List the players and their indices for reference in banning and kicking
    players
    from the dedicated server.

    sv_public [true, false] (Default value is true)
    Determine if the server will be listed in the GameSpy Master Server list
    (true)
    or not (false). This should be done in the init.txt file, before map cycling
    begins. Note: setting this to false is equivalent to hosting a LAN game.

    sv_rcon_password [string]
    Set the RCon password. To remove the password, thus disabling RCon, specify
    an
    empty string "" as the password.

    sv_status [true, false]
    Used to continually show the status of the dedicated server in the console.

    sv_unban [player name]
    Allow the player with the given name to join the server again.

    I. Getting Help

    Get Halo Dedicated Server help on the Gearbox Software community forums at
    the
    following address:
    http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=ServerAdmin

    Halo Dedicated Server engineers regularly browse these forums and answer
    frequently asked questions.

    NOTE: HALO DEDICATED SERVER IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

    J. Known Issues and Workarounds

    Console does not recognize Battlecreek, Derelict, or Chiron map names.
    You must use the actual multiplayer map file name. Here is a table with the
    in-game name of the map and its associated file name:

    In-game name
    File name
    Battle
    Creek
    beavercreek
    Sidewinder
    sidewinder
    Damnation
    damnation
    Rat
    Race
    ratrace
    Prisoner
    prisoner
    Hang 'Em High
    hamgemhigh
    Chill
    Out
    chillout
    Derelict
    carousel
    Boarding Action
    boardingaction
    Blood
    Gulch
    bloodgulch
    Wizard
    wizard
    Chiron TL34
    putput
    Longest
    longest
    Ice
    Fields
    icefields
    Death Island
    deathisland
    Danger
    Canyon
    dangercanyon
    Infinity
    infinity
    Timberland
    timberland
    Gephyrophobia
    gephyrophobia

    Using sv_map, host is unable to launch a game using a game variant with
    spaces
    in it: Sv_map takes multiple arguments. You need to add quotes around spaces
    in
    the second argument (game variant) in order for this to work. For example,
    sv_map mapname "game variant".

    Console is unable to clear the server password: You need to enter an "empty"
    password to clear it from the console. Enter sv_password "".

    K. Versions History

    v1.00 - 9/9/2003 - Halo Dedicated Server v1.00 private release

    v1.01 - 10/1/2003 - Halo Dedicated Server v1.01 public pre-release
    * Basic version of the dedicated server release to the community due to the
    high-demand.

    v1.02 - 10/7/2003 - Halo Dedicated Server v1.02 public release
    * Multiple instances support.
    * RCon support.
    * Halo Dedicated Server instructions released.
    --
    Thanks,
    Nick Kritselis [MS]

    "jim" <lurkyeah1@cox.net> wrote in message
    > by the way the game i have this with is halo...so if you
    > know how to play on your own dedicated server...please
    > email or post
    >
    > thank you!

Dedicated Server Servers Video Games