Why????

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 20, 2004 4:31:20 PM

Why is Sprint pushing these Fair and Flexible plans soooo much? In my
Sprint Store last night (looking for a car charger), I overheard a very
disturbing conversation where a new potential customer was asking about
rate plans. The Sprint rep pulled out the F&F brochure, and the
customer said that he thought the rates seemed a little high in
comparison to VZW and T-Mobile. The rep then stated that those were the
newest and greatest plans were offering at the current time. And
despite the customer saying that he had not worries of going over his
alloted plan minutes and mainly wanted a lower priced plan to use the
free nights and weekends, the rep made *no* mention of the regular,
lower-priced, fixed rate Free and Clear plans. The customer ended up
leaving empty handed.

Why is Sprint psuhing F&F so hard? O/Siris says that Sprint is pushing
F&F as consumer plans, and F&C as business plans. Why not promote them
equally -- by having the brochures side by side and the reps trained to
offer both plans like what Verizon does?? I've said before that I
think the F&F is a good option for low end users and an innovative rate
plan structure... but I think Sprint is making a huge mistake if they
put all their eggs in this basket and ignore the fixed rate plans for
private consumers.

Eric

More about : question

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 9:59:00 PM

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 9:59:01 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It is simple. They think they will make money. So, marketting is going
> to market it. It is Sprint's plan to push. It is their own foot to
> shoot and it is their own wallet to fill. As a stock holder, you have a
> say, as a customer you have a say, but as a newsgroup poster you do not.

I think it's stupid. Not everyone is a casual user. I'd wager that for most
of the people who post here on a regular basis, F&F does NOT make sense, for
example.

May 20, 2004 9:59:01 PM

(Thomas T. Veldhouse) wrote:
<<It is simple. They think they will make money. So, marketting is going
to market it. It is Sprint's plan to push. It is their own foot to shoot
and it is their own wallet to fill. As a stock holder, you have a say,
as a customer you have a say, but as a newsgroup poster you do not. >>

As a newsgroup poster and a customer, I do have an opinion and a vested
interest in Sprint PCS. I hope that they realize soon that by pushing
F&F over F&C that they will be shooting themselves in the foot. F&F is
good for some people, and especially for existing customers who have
offbeat calling patterns... but F&C should still be heavily marketed for
new customers since F&C is the one with the competitive pricing.

Eric
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 10:20:47 PM

In article <24926-40ACEB68-211@storefull-3231.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> Why is Sprint pushing these Fair and Flexible plans soooo much? In my
> Sprint Store last night (looking for a car charger), I overheard a very
> disturbing conversation where a new potential customer was asking about
> rate plans. The Sprint rep pulled out the F&F brochure, and the
> customer said that he thought the rates seemed a little high in
> comparison to VZW and T-Mobile. The rep then stated that those were the
> newest and greatest plans were offering at the current time. And
> despite the customer saying that he had not worries of going over his
> alloted plan minutes and mainly wanted a lower priced plan to use the
> free nights and weekends, the rep made *no* mention of the regular,
> lower-priced, fixed rate Free and Clear plans. The customer ended up
> leaving empty handed.
>
> Why is Sprint psuhing F&F so hard? O/Siris says that Sprint is pushing
> F&F as consumer plans, and F&C as business plans. Why not promote them
> equally -- by having the brochures side by side and the reps trained to
> offer both plans like what Verizon does??

I can only guess SprintPCS basically doesn't like dealing with
Consumers. (doesn't its Customer Service prove that?), wants to have
fewer Consumer customers except with high dollar plans, and make its
money as a cellular wholesaler - Virgin Mobile, Quest, and maybe AT&T
and MCI and Walt Disney.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 10:20:48 PM

Robert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can only guess SprintPCS basically doesn't like dealing with
> Consumers. (doesn't its Customer Service prove that?), wants to have
> fewer Consumer customers except with high dollar plans, and make its
> money as a cellular wholesaler - Virgin Mobile, Quest, and maybe AT&T
> and MCI and Walt Disney.

Well, none of the carriers want people that spend $30 per month. I'm sure
Sprint would be very pleased that I'm going to add a line and finally get my
final bill (including taxes) up over $40-45 in the next month or so. Once
you factor in billing, customer support, etc., those people who are on the
lower-priced plans are making the carriers very little money.

I don't think it's that they don't like dealing with consumers, just that
they want to maintain decent margins on the services that they sell.

May 20, 2004 10:20:49 PM

(Steven J Sobol) wrote:
<<Well, none of the carriers want people that spend $30 per month. I'm
sure Sprint would be very pleased that I'm going to add a line and
finally get my final bill (including taxes) up over $40-45 in the next
month or so. Once you factor in billing, customer support, etc., those
people who are on the lower-priced plans are making the carriers very
little money. >>

I just think that Sprint should not be so heavily promoting the F&F
plans over the F&C plans. To a new customer, I think $50 for 700
minutes (on F&C) looks more attractive than $75 for 700 minutes (on
F&F).

People seem to think that I am completely against Sprint making new
service plans and such... I fully support F&F pricing as it will help
some people. But on the same token, the high prices of plans that have
550 minutes or more that F&F has can really turn off potential customers
if they are not made aware of other fixed rate plans. With nationwide
WLNP around the bend, Sprint needs to look flexible, sure, but they also
need to look *competitive*.

Eric
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 11:28:05 PM

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 11:31:59 PM

May 20, 2004 11:46:18 PM

Veldy@visi.com said

> As a stock holder, you have a
> say, as a customer you have a say, but as a
> newsgroup poster you do not.

Anyone who wants a say may have one. Stockholders and customers **may** carry
more weight, sometimes those bringing a lawyer or with access to the media can
carry weight.
May 20, 2004 11:49:21 PM

sjsobol@JustThe.net said:
> I think it's stupid. Not everyone is a casual user.
> I'd wager that for most of the people who post
> here on a regular basis, F&F does NOT make
> sense, for example.

The plan fits very few. Someone who normally uses 250 to 300 minutes a month
Anytime minutes, but **KNOWS** that once or twice a year (visiting relatives or
kids at college) they'd go way over.

I think promoting 7 PM Nights makes more sense for SprintPCS, but maybe they
just want to be a wireless wholesale company.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 11:49:22 PM

Nebby <nebby00007@aol.compants> wrote:

> sjsobol@JustThe.net said:
>> I think it's stupid. Not everyone is a casual user.
>> I'd wager that for most of the people who post
>> here on a regular basis, F&F does NOT make
>> sense, for example.
>
> The plan fits very few. Someone who normally uses 250 to 300 minutes a month
> Anytime minutes, but **KNOWS** that once or twice a year (visiting relatives
> or kids at college) they'd go way over.

It's very painfully obvious that it's meant to compete with Cingular Rollover
minutes. Rollover only makes sense for certain customers, too.

> I think promoting 7 PM Nights makes more sense for SprintPCS, but maybe they
> just want to be a wireless wholesale company.

If they were smart they'd promote *both* heavily.

May 20, 2004 11:51:39 PM

May 20, 2004 11:53:05 PM

> Once you factor in billing, customer support, etc., > those people who are on
the
> lower-priced plans are making the carriers very
> little money.

Depends how you view it. SprintPCS needs to up its average revenue per customer
to like $65 to break even, but the incremental income from $30 customers adds
up if your support costs can be kept low by CSRs getting it right the first
time.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 11:53:06 PM

Nebby <nebby00007@aol.compants> wrote:

> to like $65 to break even, but the incremental income from $30 customers adds
> up if your support costs can be kept low by CSRs getting it right the first
> time.

True. And there's no question that Sprint's CS has, in the past, been
absolutely horrid. They're doing better now. You will still have a certain
percentage of completely clueless people calling in, however, and they WILL
increase your support costs no matter what you do to minimize them.

May 21, 2004 12:01:23 AM

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:01:24 AM

Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So Phillip, what makes you thin the plan fits very few? You are one
> person with a huge chip on your shoulder and clouded judgement. Don't
> you think Sprint PCS researched this? Only time will tell if it is
> successful, but if it is not, it won't be because you said anything
> intelligent about it.

I don't think it will make sense for only ten or twenty customers*, but it
won't make sense for an awful large percentage of their customers.

*closer to the absolute number suggested by "very few"

May 21, 2004 12:03:15 AM

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:18:47 AM

In article <40ad0f03$0$166$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <mailman@www.veldy.net&gt; wrote:

more drivel trying to make personal attacks on anyone he disagrees with.

Such immaturity.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:18:48 AM

R?bert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <40ad0f03$0$166$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <mailman@www.veldy.net&gt; wrote:
>
> more drivel trying to make personal attacks on anyone he disagrees with.

I saw not one single personal attack. "That wasn't his point" wasn't a slam
on you.

May 21, 2004 12:19:42 AM

In article <40ad0e93$0$166$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <mailman@/www.veldy.net&gt; wrote:

> So Phillip, what makes you thin the plan fits very few?

I thin, therefore I am?
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:26:14 AM

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:41:40 AM

In article <40ad1466$0$166$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net> wrote:

> Good try ... see what that email gets you.

Is that better?
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:53:13 AM

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 1:06:41 AM

In article <40ad1ab8$0$167$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net> wrote:

> Does anybody have any doubts about this bafoon?

Is that supposed to be an insult? Typical of a Sprint PCS apologist,
when proven wrong, INSULT.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 1:21:37 AM

"Røbert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <40ad1ab8$0$167$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have any doubts about this bafoon?
>

> Is that supposed to be an insult? Typical of a Sprint PCS apologist,
> when proven wrong, INSULT.

He hasn't been proven wrong. Only you have. Along with:

1) Your preference for lying ...
2) Your misquoting of other posters' messages.
3) Your attempt to impersonate other posters here.
4) Your unmunging of email addresses so spambots can harvest them.
5) Your attempt to answer prior posts made in one ID with different IDs
6) Your attempt to moderate this group on what can or can't be said.
7) Your failure to answer simple questions asked to clarify your position
here, when the truth comes out.
8) Your manufacturing of false facts.
9) Last, but certainly not least, using AT LEAST 102 different IDs here to
avoid kill filters of others.

Bob::noticing this list gets larger, each time I posted it::
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 1:37:15 AM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > So Phillip, what makes you thin the plan fits very few? You are one
> > person with a huge chip on your shoulder and clouded judgement. Don't
> > you think Sprint PCS researched this? Only time will tell if it is
> > successful, but if it is not, it won't be because you said anything
> > intelligent about it.
>
> I don't think it will make sense for only ten or twenty customers*, but it
> won't make sense for an awful large percentage of their customers.
>
> *closer to the absolute number suggested by "very few"

Well, there is another market that SPCS is going after, and it may be the
pre-pay users, if they pass the credit check. I don't know what the average
monthly minute usage for pre-pay customers are, but I'm guessing that once
they get use to using the phone, they will be using more minutes and have a
higher monthly cellular expense than $35/mo.

When you look at Virgin Mobile's expense, it's $0.25/min. for the first 10
minutes each day, and then $0.10/min there after. They don't offer free N &
W minutes. So even it they only speak 20 minutes a day, and that's not much
.... it's costing $3.50/day, $35 in 10 days, and using only 200 minutes. Add
the rest of the days in a month, and it could get pretty pricy.

At least with this F & F plan, any minutes used during the night won't
charge against their AT minutes and save money.

Bob
May 21, 2004 1:37:16 AM

(Bob Smith) wrote:
<<Well, there is another market that SPCS is going after, and it may be
the pre-pay users, if they pass the credit check. I don't know what the
average monthly minute usage for pre-pay customers are, but I'm guessing
that once they get use to using the phone, they will be using more
minutes and have a higher monthly cellular expense than $35/mo. >>

I did actually think of that, Bob. The pricing structure for F&F is
kind of close to other prepaid plans -- specifically AT&T's GoPhone and
U.S. Cellular's TrackerPack. They are the prepaid options that you pay
by the month instead of buying airtime cards and they give you a set
number of minutes plus free weekends, etc. The plans rate better than
traditional prepay, but still more expensive than traditional postpay.

I just believe that it will harm Sprint in the future by pushing F&F
over F&C instead of giving each equal promotion. The person in the
store (that I referred to in my original post in this thread) was turned
off by the pricing of F&F, but the rep made no attempt to tell him about
F&C... which could have netted Sprint a new customer. If this becomes
widespread (and O/Siris did say that Sprint's plan is to push F&F as
Consumer Plans and F&C as "business" plans)... this could be a real
problem for Sprint when it comes to signing new customers.

Eric
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 2:56:17 AM

In article <40ad218b$0$174$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net> wrote:

> >> Does anybody have any doubts about this bafoon?
> >

> > Is that supposed to be an insult? Typical of a Sprint PCS apologist,
> > when proven wrong, INSULT.
>
> It is an insult.

Bingo, Thats typical of the disgrace to usenet.

Dont want to discuss SprintPCS billing plan, which even
osiris doesnt like, you insult folks instead.

You richly deserve the title of
disgrace to USENET
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 2:58:40 AM

In article <26729-40AD2B23-191@storefull-3237.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> I just believe that it will harm Sprint in the future by pushing F&F
> over F&C instead of giving each equal promotion. The person in the
> store (that I referred to in my original post in this thread) was turned
> off by the pricing of F&F, but the rep made no attempt to tell him about
> F&C... which could have netted Sprint a new customer. If this becomes
> widespread (and O/Siris did say that Sprint's plan is to push F&F as
> Consumer Plans and F&C as "business" plans)... this could be a real
> problem for Sprint when it comes to signing new customers.

Sprint PCS already had a problem before F&F. It lost 1,400,000 customers
last quarter. Its now doubling its advertising budget to try and push
F&F, and likely with SprintPCS now merged back into Sprint, they wont be
as forth coming on their loses in their 10_Ks.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 2:59:47 AM

In article <26729-40AD2933-187@storefull-3237.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> People seem to think that I am completely against Sprint making new
> service plans and such... I fully support F&F pricing as it will help
> some people. But on the same token, the high prices of plans that have
> 550 minutes or more that F&F has can really turn off potential customers
> if they are not made aware of other fixed rate plans. With nationwide
> WLNP around the bend, Sprint needs to look flexible, sure, but they also
> need to look *competitive*.

They also need to get a better reputation for their customer service.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 6:23:36 AM

In article <rmarkoff-809914.17584020052004@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> Sprint PCS already had a problem before F&F. It lost 1,400,000 customers
> last quarter.

Well then, since, by your own standards, Verizon Wireless had 2.04
million customers leave in the same quarter, then they're *really* in
trouble.

--
RØß
O/Siris