Sign in with
Your question

Could you confirm this is the version I need?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 11, 2012 4:50:45 PM

Hey guys, I'm having to buy windows 7 professional because I lost my motherboard and don't have a disc. My computer is a custom built pc and I was wondering if Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM is the one I need to install with the new components? I read the FAQ's on here and what I'm gathering from them is the OEM will be fine but If I had to get new parts again in the future, I'd be out of luck with this copy of windows. Is that how it works and is this what I need?

Thanks,
-WooDy

More about : confirm version

June 11, 2012 4:56:31 PM

do you mean that if you reinstall your current windows 7 with a new motherboard it will not work? that should not be the case, if it does end up saying that it has been registered too many times or its new hardware you just have to call the customer service number that comes up and tell them you had to change the motherboard.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 5:03:33 PM

How do you lose a motherboard? Bit hard to drop down the back of the sofa.....

OEM licence is indeed tied to a motherboard if your old board died and needed replacing MS may let you activate it you find out by installing windows then phoning MS if/when the key doesn't work and explaining to them the old board had its last hurrah and you had to replace it.

Home premium is much cheaper unless there is something specific you need proffesional for.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 5:38:42 PM

ok so if i buy the OEM, and in the future upgrade my pc, ill be able to reinstall it? I thought it said the OEM license was strictly for the computer it was installed on.
m
l
June 11, 2012 5:50:03 PM

that is true, but that truth is kind of stretched.

they cannot just say, "oh you bought our OEM version and because your hardware failed the next day and you needed to install a new motherboard and reinstalled you have to buy another OEM copy".

when it comes to hardware failure and having to reinstall because of such, MS is not strict on reinstalls as long as it is on the same machine, which in this case it is. I dont know how many times i have had to reinstall windows XP, Vista, and 7 on my machine and just called in because i had to validate that it was the same computer that i was installing the copy of windows on.
m
l
!