What's your favourite strategy game?

mkn100

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2001
Hello everyone,

I haven't got a chance to play any strategy game lately, so I don't know which games are good. I used to play Starcraft and Red Alert. I like these kind of games.

So, what are strategy game are you playing? Is it good? forgot to mention, I don't like turn-base strategy games. Real time games rock!

Thanks!
Tom

FatBurger

Illustrious
Red Alert 2 has very creative units (especially with the Yuri's Revenge expansion).

Otherwise, I don't know. I'm not too much into strategy games.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Age of Empires 2 has got to figure into the equation, somewhere. Red Alert 2 is good, at least, the part I've played is. Technically speaking, Xcom Apocalypse *can* be real-time, but it's more like we-took-out-the-pause-code kind of RTS.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Lords of the Realm II.... I just had to say it. It's an awesome game. Sure it's not a nice as some of the newer games. But It's a classic. Oh and if I had to pick one besides Lords of the realm II it would be Red Alert 2 that game rocks.

<b>Bees are on the what now?</b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hm... that game was pretty cool!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
StarCraft (2) is always a good one, but it's TOO balanced if you ask me, and it gets annoying because of that.
Therefore (with appx 5 additional addon units) Total Annihilation w/the Core Contingency is the best RTS out there.

I know it's old, but it is still the best by far.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Starcraft, AOE2 and Myth. Myth and Starcraft are a bit dated now but Myth has a new sequal coming up that's looking pretty good.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'd agree with several here - RA2 and AOE2 are great.

I also like the Homeworld games - mostly strategy and immensely good eye candy. Didn't get on so well with Cataclysm though...

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

Age of Empires 2 and Emperor Battle for Dune are two great games

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Until things start really moving towards 3d, Age of Empires II is probably the best of the genre. Your preference may depend on the "theme" you like ie future warefare, medevial etc. Provided you don't have some hatred of the "theme" then you'll find AOE II to be the best.

If you dig turned based strategy try some of the Panzer General series. Just be prepared to get your butt kicked until you figure all the details out (terrain, weather, entrenchment, fire support, logistics, troop experience, air support yada yada...)

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Glad to know you recommend red alert 2, just ordered it for the family for christmas. Have not Yuri's revenge, but now will think seriously of getting it.

Danny

Electric coolaid for everyone, except me, never touch the stuff !

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
My favorite is turn based and is about 7 years old now. It's called Master of Magic. Hardly anyone has played it because the origional version was pushed out the door to meet a deadline, and was too buggy to play. It crashed every few seconds.

Well, they patched it and got it so that it almost never crashes, but by then it was too late. Too bad cause it was excellent for it's time (it's DOS based). Kinda like Civ1 except with Magic as well as technology involved, and much better combat.

My favorite real-time stratagy is Myth2. It beats the pants off of Age of Empires 2, which everyone where I work is crazy about.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Actually i have played red alert and c&c a lot. Have also played it on my two pc lan, the two kids rooms are networked. Family lan playing is really ah, COOL, we laugh ourselves silly and go totally beeserk. You know, i just make men & dogs and my kid comes over and makes rasberry jam all over the place with her tank swaddrom. Squich, squich. hi hi
Half Life, not strategy perhaps, was awesoom. EAX (you know, the SB version) made it scarry as hell.
Hey, you red alert people out there, does your game freeze sometimes after you finished a mission and the score is adding up ?
Really, i have installed red alert on my different sys and on all it sometime does this. Have never identified the culprit if not simply that pcs were not created for games.
Are there win98 drivers or sys files at Westwood, my red alert is win95 compatible i believe but have win98 se.

Danny

Electric coolaid for everyone, except me, never touch the stuff !

G

Did anyone tried "Empire Earth"? A friend has been telling me to get it, but I am not sure if i want to waste $60 on it if it sucks.

G

I'm going to get Empire Earth tonight after work. I loved AOE2 and the Conquerors expansion.

I like to turkey!?!

mawfia

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
There are a couple of 3d real time strategy games that have been out for a while. I wonder why no one has mentioned them. Theres Homeworld, its sequel is not as good but still mentionable. Thers also the Earth Project 2150 which has excellent graphics. I think that blizzard is suppose to be coming out with Warcraft 3 which will be a combination of RTS and RPG. And of course the classics, C&C, Red Alert, Civ2...

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Has anyone else tried Ground Control ?

-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I dont believe I only saw 1 other person that recomended Total Annihilation! TA is an excelent stratagy game, it may be dated but the sheer volume of unit and the great AI (if u download the free third party add on TAUIP 2.1) is excelent. Ok so the missions r nothing to shout about but if u just want to do skirmishes or play multiplayer (2 players verses the computer is excelent with the add-on). The game has loads of units to begin with but with add-ons such as TAUIP metioned earlier u can have 400+! The music is very attmoseferic and the armys and battle scenes truely epic, far better than the little skirmishs u get on C&C type games which can sometimes last a whole minite! TA may b old but it still has its charm.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Ignore my previous post. I just picked up Empire Earth over the weekend...it's just plain massive. I'm betting if you played a single game start to finish it would take you a week if you stopped only to eat and sleep.

It's what AOE 2 *should* have been.