Aussies go for seat on the UN Security council

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/rudd-goes-all-out-for-security-council/story-fn59niix-1226067498078

Move over Luxemburg and Finland ...

Fingers corossed we get a seat ...

We have been waiting for 25 years.

Must be a quality gaslift chair with switches and knobs on the armrests ... possibly built in massage functions and other such comforts.

I thought Australia was a really small player but the stats in this article are very positive:

"Our $1.3 trillion economy is the world's 12th- or 13th-largest.

"We are the fourth-largest economy in Asia. We are one of the top 10 major suppliers of energy and resources to the world.

"Our military expenditure is the world's 14th-largest and the fifth-largest in Asia."

In addition to being a founding member of the UN, Australia is the world body's 12th-biggest financial contributor.

In terms of the Olympics we also do pretty good for just 22 Million people ...

I think we could take Finland and Luxembourg in a fair drinking competition ...

:)

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Australian motorsport fans are ruing militant alcohol consumption guidelines at one of the country's most popular races – after being limited to a mere 24 cans of beer a day.

Police in charge of the Bathurst 1,000 car race in Bathurst, New South Wales, issued the restrictions before the start of the four-day event this Thursday.

Spectators are limited to one 24-can case each of full-strength beer, although if revellers are willing to consume lower-strength alcohol (3.5% abv or less) they will be entitled to a more satisfactory 36 cans.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2009/oct/06/australian-fans-24-cans-beer

Just have to sober up long enough to make it through the interview.

Bathurst is a 3 day event (cripes er was it?) and back in the 80's we used to go there and camp on the hills with an 18 Gallon keg and temprite with ice and gas ... just managed to finish it by late sunday arvo and then get rudely booted out on the Monday mornign by the rangers ...

Can't remember a lot but my heoroes Peter Brock and Alan Grice did well ... I think?

Yes ... a car load of yobbos tenting it for three days.

I hid the car keys so my brother couldn't try to drive ... he passed out somewhere on the trials on the Saturday and we found him Sun morning just in time for the race.

Such is Bathurst ...

Highly recommended for tourists who are racing nuts.

Touring cars are very exciting ... and the Mt Panorama circuit is tough going ... trees and other stuff and the road is very tight in spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMJsGG0QOIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSuuWWFAZM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo5zRM-EYZQ&feature=related

I agree. Kick off the French, who aren't a "power" by any stretch, to make room for AUS.
...although, I'd say India has at least as great a claim (nevermind if it would offend Pukistan).

...and provide a reasonable way to override Security Council vetoes, so the USA can't keep blocking valid resolutions re: Israel, China can't block those dealing with N. Korea, and Russia can't use them just to be obstinate.

Vote for us and we will immediatly impose sanctions against countries who do not consume enough beer ...

Beer companies support sports ... sport never killed anyone who wasn't a wimp or unlucky ... or mad ... or fearless. Normal people survive sports ...

Sport is the geat leveller.

Wars should be fought on the cricket field.

I have a soft spot for the French ... we need somebody who can cook.

If it was a cooking competition we would be ruled by the French.

Alternatively Rugby Union ... or surfing.

I'd recommend against ping pong ... or skiing ...

Soccer ... ??

:eek:

I met Alan Grice in the pits at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in the late 1980's.

As far as your UN seat on the SC, the Fins should be denied simply because of Pan Sonic.

And I believe Kim Jong-Il hides all his money in Luxembourg :lol:

I've always admired Australia..

From a safe distance, of course :p.

Actually, Australia & New Zealand are on my itinerary of places to eventually visit, just after China.

However, my wife being Vietnamese, usually means we just go visit her family and hand out loads of cash, leaving none for going anyplace remotely interesting to me :p.

Not that I mind sightseeing in Vietnam, but I've been there 5 times already (total of 4 months or so), and I'm ready for some new scenery.

I don't know. The Finns are pretty tough. They fought the USSR to a draw right before WWII officially started.

That reminds me:

Heaven:
The police are British
The cooks are French
The engineers are German
The administrators are Swiss
The lovers are Italian

Hell:
The police are German
The cooks are British
The engineers are Italian
The administrators are French
The lovers are Swiss

4745454b

Titan
I can't believe. Two people who think French cooking is better then Italian. I never would have thought that possible.

To lazy to click the link, I thought the other seats rotate? You have the five permanent members, and the other countries trade seats. AUS has never held a seat?

The UN Security Council needs to expand its permanent members or just go all together, IMO. If action is to be taken, more countries need to be involved in the process. I'd like it better if the UN General Assembly worked like Congress or a parliament and actually made the decisions based upon a 2/3rds majority of something like that.

Obviously that isn't going to happen, but I can dream.

To the winners go the spoils. I don't blame the winners of WWII looking for a prominent role in the international arena, but they should have been more humble about it in regard to the UN.

Status
Not open for further replies.