Sign in with
Your question

Modem, router, switch and multiple access points

Last response: in Networking
March 6, 2013 4:04:05 AM

Currently I have mutiple ethernet wall jacks all over the house that go down into the basement. Those wall jacks all feed into a gigaport switch. Also in my basment is a comcast telephony modem. My question is if I put my router in the basement the wifi signal will get weaker the further I get a away from it and so will the speed. How can I maintain the 50+mbps that I get when I'm 5 feet away from the router, throughout the entire house?

Currently I have 4 routers, a linksys e2000, an E1000 and 2 wrt54g2. E2000 is what I'm currently using, but it doesnt reach very far and the best speed I can get in it is about 30Mbps. I'm willing to upgrade my router in order reach every corner of my house withouty compromising the speed. Also an FYI I temporarily put in an Apple Airport Extreme and it was doing around 47-50Mbps, so I know I can obtain those speeds.

Thanks
March 6, 2013 1:25:56 PM

The only likely way that you can maintain that kind of wireless speed throughout the house is to place several of the routers set up as access points around the house (using different non-overlapping channels connected to the E2000 over the internal Ethernet wiring).

Also you should check out the surrounding network to avoid interference. Download, install and run the free INSSIDER wireless analyzer to look at the channels being used and their signal strength. It can also show you areas of poor coverage in your house with your signals.
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:37:02 PM

RealBeast said:
The only likely way that you can maintain that kind of wireless speed throughout the house is to place several of the routers set up as access points around the house (using different non-overlapping channels connected to the E2000 over the internal Ethernet wiring).

Also you should check out the surrounding network to avoid interference. Download, install and run the free INSSIDER wireless analyzer to look at the channels being used and their signal strength. It can also show you areas of poor coverage in your house with your signals.

Ok so if I put the e2000 in the basment and use 2 access points connected the router using different channels I might be able to get high speed wifi? What about the equipment I'm using, do I need to upgrade the wrt54gs to something faster. I don't believe they are capable of doing more then 25mbps. 2 rt-n66us or ea4500?
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2013 2:47:09 PM

You do want to go to a N based ap/router but that is only half your problem. To get the best performance out of your equipment you need to have the ability to set N-ONLY option in the router. This will allow it to ignore the backward compatibility support for B&G. This means you must upgrade all your equipment to N nics also since your router will no longer allow them to connect. If you have to you can keep your wrt54gs and run it on a different channel just for G devices.
m
l
March 6, 2013 3:14:23 PM

itr1197 said:
Ok so if I put the e2000 in the basement and use 2 access points connected the router using different channels I might be able to get high speed wifi?
Yes, but you should check to see what other competing networks are around you, as they could be a limiting factor. Much depends on what adapters you currently use and are willing to upgrade. As bill said, you need to use N only (with WPA2/AES) to get the best speed out of your equipment. Any legacy devices that attach will bring the whole network speed down to legacy speeds. You also could consider using concurrent dual band to take advantage of the 5GHz N band if you have devices that will use 5GHz.

I would suggest looking at it the other way around for a moment -- what wireless devices do you have by area of the house and what connection do they need/support? Once you determine that, then you can plan what type of AP radio you need in what area, G/N, and 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz for the N. That way you can maximize your bandwidth use. Surfing on a phone and streaming HD video/gaming take vastly different amounts of bandwidth.

itr1197 said:
What about the equipment I'm using, do I need to upgrade the wrt54gs to something faster. I don't believe they are capable of doing more then 25mbps. 2 rt-n66us or ea4500?
If you want N speed you can't use the 54gs for anything other than a legacy G radio if you have devices that you will use on it. The RT-N66U are great concurrent dual band routers that would make excellent APs, if you can use their 5GHz capability, otherwise they are probably not worth the cost for you.
m
l
March 6, 2013 5:08:21 PM

As far as any other signals interfering, it shouldn't be a problem my house is pretty secluded. Also I believe all my devices have N adapters.

To recap my e2000 can go into basment and I can connect N only APs with different channels in my first floor and second directly to ports in the e2000. Does the wifi need to be disabled on the router or can it stay on using a different channel from the 2 APs?
m
l
March 6, 2013 5:25:25 PM

You can easily use three 2.4GHz N radio channels, since there are three non-overlapping channels (1, 6, and 11), and you can leave the basement radio on with one of the three.

For devices closest to the kitchen I would use channel 1, as it has less interference from microwave ovens (which operate at 2.45GHz) if you use one often.

To set up the AP you connect to the router LAN to LAN, set the radio channel, use the same SSID, WPA2/AES security and passkey. Each AP needs a static address in the network range but outside of the DHCP address range of the router. So if the router is 192.168.1.1, make the APs .1.2 and .1.3 and start the DHCP range above that, so like .1.12 to leave some other available static addresses handy. That address is set in the AP and in the static address (or dynamic address reservation) table of the E2000.
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:19:34 AM

ok i bought the Asus RT-N66. Currently I'm using as an AP on the first floor and the E2000 as the router in the basement. Is this the correct way or should I make the Asus the router. And why?

Thanks
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:16:16 PM

I would leave the EA2000 in the basement doing the routing, the ASUS has a better radio for acting as an AP IMO.
m
l
!