case cutting

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I have two older mini tower cases that need to be cut too accomodate a back plate for newer micro atx boards. Can anyone tell me how do I go about this? Please help.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
a drill and a jig saw. maybe a nibler. you will run into more problems using an old case. one, the case probly doesnt have an atx switch. also the mounting holes probly dont line up. not to mention if your planning to use an at power supply, forget it.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Sorry, not sure what I am talking about, regarding above pOst, yet....seems like there is a back portion where pci slots are located...maybe there is a way to remove it

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I am willing to drill some mounting holes. I will be using Biostar M7VIG Pro & Asus A7V266 vm mother boards...I haven't checked fit yet...but the back portion is as I just described above...Will need to fill that portion with pci slot with some kind of back plate...am heading to shop now to see what can be done. Cases are in good condition and power supply can be changed to atx.......though,most likely
your scenerio is right...it won't be easy, worth it or maybe it can't be done. Can get my hands on the tools though. Will get back later.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
By the time you're done it won't be worth the trouble. The case will be weakened and it's unlikely everything is going to fit.

Check this out:
<A HREF="http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h450-series.htm" target="_new">http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h450-series.htm</A>

These cases aren't very expensive and they're tough as nails. As a bonus... everything fits.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Depending where you are, you should be able to order them through your local computer stores. Aopen is pretty much world wide. You could find an online vendor and have it drop-shipped to you or you could join Club-Aopen and buy direct.

One nice plus of the Aopen micro-atx cases (which size up beside the old AT towers) is that you can use standard ATX supplies in them.

Their standard ATX cases are just as nice... and just as tough.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Teq on 02/22/03 07:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

UsHeR_564

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I have an old Everex DX33 case that I converted to ATX. Unless you have access to a sheet metal shop with brake, shear welder etc. it's not an easy task. That Everex was my first computer and it has sentimental value to me. That's the only reason I converted it. Now it's a 1GHz P III on an Asus CUSL2-C board (second evolution). Started out as a P II 400MHz. Anywho, unless you can't live without this case, I'd take the other guys advice and buy one! Less trouble and cheaper in the long run.

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!" www.ftrdesign.com/nocasetoo

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
My main problem turns out to be the psu switch going to the front bezel...this is where it gets costly (my brother-in-law has the power tools for any cutting)... thanx, but there is no sentimental value...just trying to cut costs...but this job looks like a snowball rolling down hill...justs gets bigger. Will use these cases with the 503A 500 mhz mobo's they were purchased for...maybe build some kids systems...unless there is a way to adapt for a faster cpu (original amd k6 2 500mhz). It's a shame though...they are decent looking cases and it's just seems like a waste of money not to be able to use them.