Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless lan

Last response: in Networking
March 6, 2013 7:40:35 AM

Ok i want to find out if this solution is posible to lan games... because at the moment a router is out of the question...

I have a wireless LAN USB adapter: http://www.canyon-tech.com/products/connectivity/wirele... and Netgear wi-fi extender http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-ext...

now i want to know can i setup a wireless connection on my pc and then connect the extender to my wireless connection and then plug the other 3 pc's in to the back of the extender's ethernet ports ? will this work ? :??:  thanks in advance

More about : wireless lan

Best solution

March 6, 2013 3:11:32 PM

I guess what you're asking is, can you use this range extender as a simple network, w/ wired and wireless users.

To be honest, without the product in-hand, I can't be 100% sure. But since this is an extender and not a repeater, it means it should have TWO radios, one for the wireless client connection, the other for the wireless AP. And they should be independently configurable. So as long as it doesn't REQUIRE the wireless client connection to be established in order to setup the wireless AP (like a repeater would), it should work. The wired and wireless clients will simply be bridged.

Of course, you won't have a DHCP server in this configuration, so you'll either have to depend on DHCP auto-configuration on the clients, or use static IPs.
Related resources
March 6, 2013 3:23:23 PM

eibgrad said:
I guess what you're asking is, can you use this range extender as a simple network, w/ wired and wireless users.

To be honest, without the product in-hand, I can't be 100% sure. But since this is an extender and not a repeater, it means it should have TWO radios, one for the wireless client connection, the other for the wireless AP. And they should be independently configurable. So as long as it doesn't REQUIRE the wireless client connection to be established in order to setup the wireless AP (like a repeater would), it should work. The wired and wireless clients will simply be bridged.

Of course, you won't have a DHCP server in this configuration, so you'll either have to depend on DHCP auto-configuration on the clients, or use static IPs.

Aah thanks mate :D 
m
l
!