Start up

Billy57

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2001
Just changed OS from 98se to Windows 2000 Pro. Why does it take Win 2000 so long to start up? Windows 98 started much faster.

Music equals changing frequencies in space over time!

G

Hi,
well this worked for me;

I found after my W2K pro install it did improve by its self a little, I did optimise my hard disks ASAP and did a registry check/clean until all the "safe" to remove broken links were gone, I do this on a regular basis to minimise errors.
It now usually takes from power on to all start-up programs running ready to go in about 90 seconds which includes a SCSI bios scan.

IMO why it is taking so long, its trying to gather together the good registry links from the hundreds of bad ones on a very fraged' hard drive especially after a new install.

It's like running around in the dark trying to find a black cat blindfolded although I have never tried that!

If it aint broke don't fix it, just tweak it instead!

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Yes what scotty3303 says is true. But remember that NT based Windows 2000 DOES take longer to boot than Windows 98/98SE/ME. I dual-booted ME and 2K till a while ago and ME definitely came up faster. If you're the only user, set it up so that it automatically logs you on. Also, hibernate instead of shut down. And don't install every other program/junk you find. They bloat your registry and thus the boot time.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I think it is worth a little longer boot time because it's more stable than 98 and
you don't have to keep rebooting because of crashes.

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile: