Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SATA floppy drives

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2003 8:44:28 PM

Hi all,

Wondering whether anyone here knows if the trusty old floppy drive will ever make it to serial ATA. Thought it would be a shame for floppy drives to still be connected using uglier ribbon/rounded cables after harddrives and optical drives make their way to the new standard. Its not like there would be a performance boost or anything, but at least there would be consistancy :) 

Anywho, anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

More about : sata floppy drives

February 22, 2003 8:47:00 PM

Do floppy Drives even use the ATA standard? I dont think they do, in which case it wouldnt work. In any case I think they are going to be phased out pretty soon. A lot of the people on here no longer use floppy drives and I dont either. I have turned over completely to the CDR side, no more slow read/writing for me.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
February 22, 2003 10:15:20 PM

A SATA LS120 drive would be nice, and would replace most of the floppy-drive's features!

If only they sold LS120 in SATA though! :frown:

====
Basmic
Related resources
February 22, 2003 10:49:45 PM

Iomega has just come out with a 750meg ZIP drive...

Very interesting.

But the trusty ole 1.44 3.5" floppy is about to go the way of the dinosaur, along side it's 5.25" predicessors.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>
February 23, 2003 5:21:49 AM

they have stopped producing floppys, give them another 6 years or so, and there wont be any left that are reliable. problem solved.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
February 23, 2003 10:03:20 AM

The original FD use a whole different standard and it is totally useless to make them SATA compatible.
But I expect that IDE ZIP-drives will get SATA connection in the future.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 23, 2003 5:00:39 PM

So after all the floppys are gone, what will happen to the drive letters A and B? Also wondering who came up with the idea of drives A and B are floppy while the most important and frequently used drive is in C.
February 23, 2003 5:16:24 PM

We probably wont use them because all current Windows version assign A and B to floppy drives.
In the beginning of the PC hard-drives didn't exist or where uncommen, so they called the floppy A... atleast in Windows.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
February 24, 2003 2:46:44 AM

gonna be interesting that... with a and b become removable drives? will C: cease to exist as such thanx to windows taking people furth and further away from the actual workings of the PC?

what WILL be the replacemnt for floppies?
LS disks? zip? cd-rw? cd-rw and mt ranier? usb portable flash units?

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.
February 24, 2003 4:54:02 PM

If USB keys get cheaper then they could be the new floppy for some years.

Anyway terminals often haven't got a HD or FD at all.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
February 24, 2003 9:46:17 PM

One can hope yes.
Though problems exist like older computers with no usb or incompatible usb...
usb ports that burn out hardware
no usb ports conviently at the front
USB device booting?

etc

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.
February 25, 2003 2:01:05 AM

I dont even run a floppy anymore...

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>
February 25, 2003 2:17:16 PM

SATA?! woohoo! I just got a .5KB per sec increase with my short run high speed shielded floppy cable. With SATA I should be able to eek out another .5. My access time is up 1ms with the performance lubed floppy and its upgraded BIOS.

---------------

Ray Charles is my co-pilot
February 25, 2003 7:03:34 PM

How did you do that?!?

February 25, 2003 7:22:37 PM

For the last 4 years I've seen motherboards that could treat an LS120 drive as Drive A through a BOIS setting. And my SCSI card can make ANY removable drive into Drive A, even a CD-ROM!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
February 26, 2003 5:11:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if all mobos allow the reuse of drive letters A and B.

BTW, do you think new technology stuff like portable usb flash, microdrive and external hard drive will eventually replace hard disk drives as well?
February 26, 2003 5:23:40 PM

Not in the forseeable future. Solid State Disk might replace hard drives, but they'd still be loaded with the same stuff. And even then, inexpensive solid state disks are many years away.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
April 30, 2011 4:28:03 AM

svol said:
We probably wont use them because all current Windows version assign A and B to floppy drives.
In the beginning of the PC hard-drives didn't exist or where uncommen, so they called the floppy A... atleast in Windows.

Actually, the use of A: and B: predates Windows. It was the naming convention on the original CP/M 8-bit hobby computers of the '70s.
April 30, 2011 6:10:46 AM

an 8 year necro? Damn mate... someone lock this thread.
April 30, 2011 6:17:13 AM

Don't be hard Daveorgans, it just took him 8 years to think of a reply. However, I would recommend that after a a reasonable amount of time, you leave the thread to itself, otherwise, we may need to necro our undead moderator to handle the poor user who meddles.

April 30, 2011 6:17:31 AM

This topic has been closed by CompTIA_Rep
!